main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know how lunch works in Japanese high schools? I'm GM:ing a game taking place in modern Japan and I'm a bit confused about high school lunches, going by what I see in pop-Culture do it seems like the students take their lunch with them but when searching on the internet the information I find is that you get your lunch at school. Can anybody help?

2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well I can't tell you about Japan in particular but in most schools/universities I know there are both Students who bring their lunch, as well as those who get it at school. So I guess its the same in Japan.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Having watched a lot of anime in my day, I can say that a lot of students bring lunch from home (Sailor Moon is a good example), although there was an episode on Digimon 02 that showed people serving lunch in the cafeteria like they do here in the states. That said, I would say that they do both.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Who has ever watched an aurora for real?

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I wish! It's one of my bucket list things though, I really want to see it in real life. In Finland, I think, but I'd take it anywhere you can see one.

yahiko likes this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have, but it wasn't very bright. I was at the "Tip of the Mitt" in Michigan.

Jedi Knight Fett and yahiko like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi. Yes. Northern Canadian here. Most of the ones I've seen haven't really been worth the pneumonia, but about 2? 3? years ago we got an amazing show at around midnight. I know my friend (who is a professional photographer) took some pictures. I can see if I can find some.

Here you go:

[​IMG]

In other news, I have gotten nothing done today because I, for some reason, ignored my alarm at 8:30 and didn't get up till 11am. And I had been doing so well at getting up at half decent times and getting some work done. Bah!

8. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Briannakin: Lovely pic :)

Also for Jedi_Lover, do you feel something in the air during an aurora? A smell like ozon, or static electricity?
    Is there any sound or just those from the nature?

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No. There is no sound and you don't feel anything because you are damn cold because you are sitting outside at night in March (though the above pic was actually taken in late September).

Gamiel and yahiko like this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What Briannakin said. It was the middle of the night and cold and I just saw some light in the sky in the distance. I didn't sense anything out of the ordinary. I assume they can be seen in the summer, but it was winter when I saw mine.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Actually, it doesn't get dark enough up here to see them during the summer.

yahiko likes this.
  12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is probably why I always associate them with winter.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'd love to see an aurora, just once in my life. We just don't get them very often around here.

My grandmother is home! And from the moment she stepped in our building she was visibly a lot less disoriented. The thing is that we had to virtually lock up my nephews and nieces, because they all want to see her and she needs to rest. Also, she needs to eat more, but we'll take that one step by step.

14. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I saw a few flashes of an aurora years ago and it was beautiful

yahiko likes this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm glad your grandmother is home Chyn!

I'm just feeling so blah today. I got up at 8, did a couple things, but then fell back to sleep! It's 12:30 pm now and I am still so tired. I don't feel sick or anything. I swear I'll perk up in a few hours. I don't want to be one of those people who relies on coffee, but I might have to be to be a productive human and not some nocturnal monster.

yahiko, Chyntuck and Mistress_Renata like this.
  16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so glad your grandmother is home Chyn! [:D]

I've kinda been that way too, Bri. I feel fine, but I'm sooo tired most of the time. I've been wondering if it's the decrease in the length of the days.
    Then last night after being tired all day, everything was bothering me and I couldn't go to sleep: I couldn't get physically comfortable, it was too hot with the covers on but too cold with them off, the sheets felt scratchy, the light from the street/router was too bright, the pillows were too hard (they are brand new pillows and not hard at all)... I was a complete mess.

yahiko, Chyntuck and Mistress_Renata like this.
  17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh. That's annoying. For the past few nights for me too I just can't get comfortable. Of course my bed is super comfy at like 11:30am after I've only been up for a few hours, but I just can't find a comfortable position at night.

Today was a bit better though, I didn't get up till like 9:30, which was frustrating (but my own fault because I ignored my alarm), I did have a nap around noon, but I only slept for about 15 minutes (usually my naps are like an hour long), and then I was really productive.

But I think I need to go visit my mother for dinner. I need to get out of this house. I love my MA coursework, but I am really sacrificing my sanity doing this degree by distance education. But it is going to be worth it if it means doing what I really enjoy for the rest of my life.

yahiko likes this.
  18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    You've also just gotten back from a long, stressful deployment. That takes a lot out, too, and it's hard to readjust.

It will be. Grad school for me was 2 horrific and difficult years, but I am doing pretty much what I wanted to do. Even when my projects hit snags or when my boss drives me nuts, I'm glad I'm doing what I'm doing.

Me, I have tickets to see Gilbert & Sullivan this weekend; the Gondoliers. I've never seen it performed, so I'm excited. Sunday is supposedly National Cat Day. I do wonder how that differs from EVERY OTHER DAY of the year!!! I haven't told His Majesty; heaven only knows what he'd demand!

mavjade , yahiko, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    In case you need some cheering up, get on a flight to Rochester, NY. This is how your plane could be greeted:

Gemma, Lady_Misty, yahiko and 2 others like this.
  20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oddly, the last three mornings, I have awoken to find that I had spent the night sleeping, sat at the foot of my bed.

I'm going to research if my phone can record Star Trek: Discovery's "Bul-lack Alert" voice, and use it as an alarm or ringtone.

If I ignore that it has tech and fashion inconsistent with being a decade before The Original Series, it seems quite enjoyable.

21. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is true, except for one very important difference: National Cat Day is just like every other day, except now you have an excuse to buy a cake.

Mistress_Renata, yahiko and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Kurisan, Chyntuck - Thank you for caring. I am going to whine a bit now, so I'm not addressing a specific response, but...everything in general.

Today mom and I argued because we realised that we have 1500 dinars (1000 hers, 500 mine) left until she receives half of her pension on Tuesday. That's, like...less than $15. She accused me of spending the money recklessly, which I'm not doing. Anyway, I got coffee, toilet paper, a pack of margarine, newspapers and a bunch of potatoes and there was only about 300-something left. With my money, I got a bottle of Pepsi Max and tomorrow, I need to get my metformin and Judi's kibble. We will definitely need bread, yoghurt and another bottle of Pepsi Max until Tuesday, let's hope that there's enough money for all of that. I might bake a cake tomorrow, so the need for buying sweets is eliminated. Fine.

And then my further aunt (mom's second cousin) came around out of nowhere. I was genuinely surprised. Turns out she was worried sick because she couldn't reach us on the landline and she only had my mom's old cell number. We checked the landline, apparently it stopped working after the flood. Kriff. :( And I thought it was bad when the cordless phone connected to the landline stopped working and we had to switch to a 16-year-old speakerphone (yeah, that thing was so.hip in 1991).

The aunt has everything she could wish for. Sure, she cares for her five granddaughters whenever possible, but my uncle is loaded.

I am slowly losing hope that anything will ever be good again. I'm blocked. Can't even write unless it's, well, about this. I am cursing the moment the pdoc started medicating me for the illness I didn't have. I'm not even sure if I recovered from that kriffin' AP. I just...don't know what to do anymore. :( No approach works - positive psychology, "as if", trying to get my mind off things...nothing. :(

What is the opposite of the Dunning–Kruger effect? Asking because I have it.

Funny side note: Mom just let me know that there's a film with "Cucumberbitch" on TV.

P.S. Glad your grandmother is back home, Chyn!

Mistress_Renata, Gamiel and yahiko like this.
  23. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Old music of the 80's from Jean Michel Jarre, a French musician, but the sound for me is timeless and inspiring for my current SF novel...

Gamiel likes this.
  24. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Ewok Poet I'm not sure if this will be helpful advice for you, but I noticed sometimes life has a habit of throwing **** at people when you're already going through a lot. It's difficult to stay positive, but I think one thing important to do is to remain in the present and not dwell in the past or in the future. This is probably easier said than done but if the mind dwells in negativity, then there's no way any positive talking will work.

I'm not sure what the opposite of the Dunning–Kruger effect is; maybe Imposter Syndrome? (I really am no expert on psychology, sorry).

Mistress_Renata, Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Somebody on Twitter told me the same - that Imposter Syndrome was the polar opposite of the Dunning-Kruger effect. And then I found this...

“Impostor syndrome”: Some of my former clients with BPD have explained feeling as if they are “acting on a stage” or playing a role in their lives. They don’t feel like they think they should feel and often struggle with identifying a place in the world. Although I have trouble with this term and doubt its significance due to social media over-psychoanalyzing the term, I think most of society experiences this. But for someone with BPD traits, identity can feel really far away.
    (source)

Gah. O_O