main
side
curve

[SIG] RMFF Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    So the BBQ thread got me thinking about how many members we have that study martial arts or have in the past and what we could do with this.

I was just wondering if anyone here would be interested in getting together semi-regularly to train together and learn from each other. I'm thinking like more of a martial arts club than a dojo or class since I know not all of us can pay the $$ that taking classes costs these days.

What I'm thinking is if we could find a place we could all get together, we could have some informal training and sparring sessions. Of course we wouldn't have to limit to those who have past martial arts experience as I'm sure there are some people with no experience that would love to learn.

So basically, I guess if you're interested in doing something like this, post here with your martial arts background/experience and if you know of a place we could do this (I'm new in town, so I have no clue where we'd do it).

2. Sithis

Sithis Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2005
    since were into SW, cant we like do a lightsaber dueling division with its own rules n stuff too

that way we can have like saber looks/realism and battle capacity competitions as well as authentic starwars moves judgmenet (like whose darth maul moves are better looking) etc..

3. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    uhh, guess I forgot to post my experience...

studied mixed martial arts (jiu jitsu, submissions, kickboxing, karate) for 2 years
    studied Bushido Kempo Karate (Gary Dill's bastardization of Jeet Kune Do and other karate styles).

4. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    um...if people wanna do a saber dueling thing, that's cool, but I'm just thinking more of a general martial arts club.

5. Darkmood

Darkmood Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    I don't have a great deal of experience, but I do have a little over a year's worth of experience in kick-boxing, grappling and basically a mish-mash of pretty much every style. lol

Can't say if I'd be interested at the moment though.

6. Sithis

Sithis Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2005
    hehe me too

studied under master Tekken himself; (Master Eddie's Kapoeira, Yoshimitsu Kendo, some King Grappling, Lei Kung Fu, and various martial arts tricks from master Gon the Dragon)

7. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Matt: that's mostly the stuff I'm into...usually called MMA (mixed martial arts)...or as it's known to most people, Vale Tudo or Ultimate Fighting or whatever.

8. Darkmood

Dec 15, 2004
    Yeah the Gym I went to was very fun and teh guy who ran it was the North-American kick-boxing champion for a while. I prefer the mixed style as it's better in my opinion to have a basic knowledge in many than in just one.

I loved kick-boxing and going to class but after a year or so it just got to be too expensive and I couldn't afford it anymore.

9. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Well, I don't have any real experience, but I have trained in dance and gymnastics, so that should help some, and I'm open to learning. This is a cool idea!

10. Darkmood

Dec 15, 2004
    Yeah it can be a lot of fun until you kick-box against someone without pads. That can get pretty hairy! LOL!

Oh yeah! My gym was called PMA for Progressive Martial Arts. That's what he called our style anyway!

11. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I loved kick-boxing and going to class but after a year or so it just got to be too expensive and I couldn't afford it anymore.

yeah, exactly why I think this would be good...b/c martial arts classes get freakin expensive...this would be a good place for us to train and learn without the heavy pricetag.

Well, I don't have any real experience, but I have trained in dance and gymnastics, so that should help some, and I'm open to learning. This is a cool idea!

yeah, that training could definitely help you getting started. I actually think it would be great if more of the RMFF women wanted to get involved...it's always good for women to know some self defense.

12. Darkmood

Dec 15, 2004
    Definitely a good thing.
    Plus the Dance and gymnastics probably has you in some pretty good cardiovascular shape which is always a good base to have!

13. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I am always looking for something I can do to work around my knee issues. :p

And I've always had an interest in these things, just never had the time to do it growing up :)

14. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    count me in cus i need to get into better fighting shape. and i think i have a friend who will want to join in his name is Ralekin_Volstar on the rmff website

15. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Rachel and I used to do Kenpo. It was always fun sparring with the Birrers, but the place started to suck after awhile. You do your lessons, and then take the test immediately after whether you know your stuff or not, and you pass...whether you know your stuff or not.

One of our friends used to teach there, too -- he left because it got too corporate and started moving away from the whole purpose of having a dojo. When a place starts teaching Tai Bo more than it teaches karate...well...the end of peace and enlightenment is near. LOL. By the time we got tired and left, I believe Tai Bo students outnumbered Kenpo students 3:1.

So now the same friend is teaching me how to throw knives and other sharp objects, and might join up with the competitive shooting death squad we're reforming from our high school days. LOL.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I studied Tae Kwon Do for about a year solid, and before that I did it on and off for several years. They called me gumby, because at the time I could twist myself into a pretzel. That was my only real talent though. LOL

My sister was invited to the special olympics in Karate though. She was a scary 7 year old.

17. yodaman12002

yodaman12002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2003
    I used to go to karate and have wanted to learn more about jeet kune do for years (books just don't tell enough). But with work and school I couldn't find time to go to classes in anything and probably couldn't do it with you all still cool idea

18. Kal-El_Kenobi

Feb 28, 2005
    i studied karate till i became a yellow belt

19. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    I would be interested. It has been like 6 years since I was in Tae Kwon Do.

I have 12 years of experience in Tae Kwon Do. I started when I was 6 years old and stopped when I was 18.

I have three Black Belts. My first is a National Tae Kwon Do Federtion Black Belt. My second is a World Tae Kwon Do Federation Black Belt. Then I have a Mile High Karate Black Belt. I was about 6 month away from my second degree Black Belt before I got burned out and quit.

I used to be pretty good, and still might be but I would not know. Since I have not done it for a while. But I would be down, maybe once a month or something.

20. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

HHhhhmmmmm, since getting out of the Corps, I've gone to "heck-in-a-fruitbasket" martially, but my sword skills are still mundanely OK. I'd be up for some training in MMA if one of you young pups wants to take the old "Grey One" under your wing.....FLOL!

21. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    So I'm thinking we could get together every week or two (depending on how everyone wants to do it) and each time we can focus on a different aspect of martial arts (like striking, locks, ground fighting, weapons). Or we could devote a little time each session to each aspect or something.

I'm cool with teaching grappling, locks, throws, stuff like that, but we'd need a striking expert and weapons expert to round things out.

So...anyone know of a place we can do this? Preferrably somewhere with mats for the grappling & throws, but if we could find a good area without mats, we could probably make do.

22. Kal-El_Kenobi

Feb 28, 2005
    i'm all in favor of doing a little at each meeting and i think every other week meetings would be best for every one here but every week would be coolest

23. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Maybe at a YMCA?? I know they sometimes rent out rooms.

24. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    the word "rent" is one I'm trying to avoid ;)

25. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    So maybe we should start an ongoing list of what people know and how long they have been doing what they know. This way we could try to organize what we would be learning and who would be best to teach it. We should also try to post what we want to get out of doing this. Also if there are minors that want to participate we must have a waiver or something for there parents to sign.

Also if there is going to be sparing or anything like that we must be careful because there will be many different types of experience levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.