main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[SIG] RMFF Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    the waiver would be a good add in

2. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Waiver = liability = need for insurance coverage = not gonna happen for the RMFF.

The RMFF policy for minors would apply in this situation as well, with their parents needing to be present in order to participate.

In fact, even with the parents present, there could still be a perceived liability issue.

FYI.

3. Kal-El_Kenobi

Kal-El_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 28, 2005
    foiled again

4. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Believe me, it's for the best, Kal-El......I saw too many kids abused in the SCA, and they had waivers, and in nearly every instance I witnessed, the parents were part of the problem, not the solution....it ain't pretty.

5. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    i have to agree with josh as to why i left. it really did start to feel more like a money grab then learning. plus the egos of a few jerks who started when we did and getting special stuff cause they kiss butt got old quick.

i would like to do this as well. sounds cool.

and if josh would be willing to pass on his lessons of throwing pointy things, i would be a most willing student.

6. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :eek: [face_worried]

;) [face_laugh]

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    LOL. We should just start hanging out at Eric's and become his elite ninja death squad.

8. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    that would be so cool to join and elite ninja death squad.

9. GA_Tompkins

GA_Tompkins Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2004
    hey,
    I think this is a great idea, i too did Kenpo with my bros(mac and zac, now THAT was sparring) and Josh and Rachel ( Josh was fun and i was afraid of rachel) i too grew tired and joining the Navy had nothing to do with it ;) i hope y'all have fun and remember be safe.

10. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm getting in late on this (just registered today and everything!) so my apologies if I'm repeating or sounding stupid or something.

I have a bit of experience with fencing and rapier-style swordsmanship. Maybe not as relevant for the lightsaber stuff. What do you think?

11. buffy_wine

buffy_wine Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2003
    Hope you have fun!

I got an orange belt in karate, and I had a kickboxing class.

12. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm getting in late on this (just registered today and everything!) so my apologies if I'm repeating or sounding stupid or something.

Not at all, glad to have you. The more the merrier and all that.

I have a bit of experience with fencing and rapier-style swordsmanship. Maybe not as relevant for the lightsaber stuff. What do you think?

I've always been interested in fencing & rapier stuff...so I think that'd be cool as hell.

13. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, I tried to take some classes at the Fencing school here in Denver, but they wouldn't take me :(

14. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004

Wasn't Dooku's style a bit more towards fencing?

And with the way people just swing at each other, you might be able to teach them a few things. LOL.

15. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jun 27, 2002
    lessons are always good.

16. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Wasn't Dooku's style a bit more towards fencing?

From what I understand of the stuff (which I'm sure is much less than Doni), Dooku had more of a saber style than rapier. More slashy and stuff. Also he has the pistol grip...

17. Sithis

Sithis Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2005
    does anybody know how durable these sabers are? I assume most people here have like fx sabers no?

18. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    no. most of us have DH sabers...

19. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    DH? like hard plastic tubes?

pardon my ignorance

20. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001

Most use acrylic, or hollow polycarb....mine is solid polycarb, and yes, there are a few Replicas out there, but I don't think anyone spars with those....FLOL!

21. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    DH is the person who made our hilts...and yeah, most of us use acrylic or polycarb blades. I even have a wooden dowel blade, but that thing rattles your hands like crazy...

22. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    wow DH makes sabers? what kind, can he make me one

hehe

23. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    some ppl duel with custom made replicas not MR stuff

does anyone have Park sabers they duel with?

24. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm pretty sure some of the SCJ guys do...but...uh...this is getting off track...this isn't a saber sparring thread, it's a Martial Arts SIG thread...

25. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Yeah, I tried to take some classes at the Fencing school here in Denver, but they wouldn't take me

Oh, that's evil. If you don't mind the drive to Boulder, Northern Colorado Fencers is excellent. Head coach Gary is one of the kindest, most patient instructors I've ever come across. He's also world class--right in our own backyard!

I haven't watched Dooku's style enough, but the fighting in the orginal trilogy is based more on fencing/saber duelling than Ep. I-III. Luke's footwork in "Jedi" is really classic. Footwork is SO important! It's the first thing we teach people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.