main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Signatures (IMG) in posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Elder74, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    Hello Jedi and Sith friends!

I have been wondering about an idea that is commonly used on different communities.

it's about signatures in posts. When you post somewhere in a thread your signature appears. Something that represents you. It could be a quote or some SFX that you have created.

here's an example:
    [​IMG]

admins, what are your thoughts on this?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 5, 2011
    We already have the ability to create signatures for our posts, we just can't use images. Text and emojis only. You may edit your signature by clicking your username in the upper right corner, which will drop down a list of options. The link to your signature is in the second row of the left column. Follow the link, add text to the signature box, and save changes to add a signature to your posts.

The Jedi Council Forums administration has always flatly rejected the idea of images and effects in signatures since I've been registered here. I strongly support this rejection.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    When we changed our forum software we had some temporary boards for testing. We tried images in signatures there and a) it looked horrible and b) the threads took a long time to load. So we rejected allowing images - I think it makes for a better fan experience. You can put a link to your image in your signature.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo Chosen One star 10

Aug 25, 2014
    I think images in sigs would be too much.

I would fully support, if possible, the use of gifs as avatars though. Is this a possible feature available for xenforo? @LAJ_FETT

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod star 10 Staff Member Administrator

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure we decided against that as well. I've seen them on other sites and found them very distracting. (Edit - can't spell today).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Riv_Shiel, EHT and CT-867-5309 like this.
  6. Dandelo

Dandelo Chosen One star 10

Aug 25, 2014
    ahh,

well never hurts to ask :p

LAJ_FETT likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2010
    To play devil's advocate, internet speeds have come a long way since 2012, so this really is not nearly as strong of an argument now as it was back then.

But I still would not want to see images in signatures for other reasons mentioned.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz JC Head Admin & Community Manager star 9 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, it's not happening.

9. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    Such a shame. But oh well. It's clear for me now! The boards look fine anyway.

it's just a sentimental thing on my creations that reminded me when coming to this place.

On my former community img's were allowed in the forums. My photobucket is filled with star wars related GFX.

All clear, thanks!

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.