main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Sir Derek Jacobi wants to be in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by fenton, Nov 26, 2012.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm all for it, but what's with all these gay old play playing in fantasy films?

LawJedi likes this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He's from Northern Ireland, which is part of Great Britain, which would make him British ... I thought. No?

3. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Strictly speaking he's from the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), but who wants to be that precise?

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Yes, because having Sam Jackson turned out so well for the prequels, didn't it?
    ;)[/quote]
    well, yeah!

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, no. It didn't. The man simply walked through the role and delivered an absolutely tone-deaf performance, one which told the audience nothing about Windu as a person. He wasn't being a person; he wasn't doing anything to justify his casting over the casting of anyone else for that role. Any actor could have read his lines as well as he did, but there are countless actors that would have delivered a better performance than he did, and that's a crucial difference. It's all the more tragic when one considers that Jackson can indeed deliver a beautiful performance, and no one demanded it of him in this saga, where performance really does matter.

Or was it all about the action? Well, he failed there, too, because the kind of action required in a Star Wars film isn't really the kind he excels at. Jackson doesn't specialize in sword-based action scenes; he specializes in gun-based and fist-based action scenes. And he isn't really interesting to watch when he plays a Zen swordmaster - that archetype requires someone who can deliver an extremely restrained performance and still be able to deliver the point with an inflection in a single word, a little thing in the eyes, something - but he's solid gold on the screen when he plays someone very high-strung and tense; he's more Al Pacino than Alec Guinness. I'd have bought him as a rogue character, but I didn't buy him as a Jedi Master.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Don't rate him at all! Plus he sounds like he is just looking for a fat pension!!!

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Seriously?

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Don't "rate" him??

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    People are willing to die in order to condemn that notion around here, you know...
    I, for one, have no queen.

10. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Being that he is a Catholic living in Northern Ireland, It's probably best not to say that to his face! He identifies with being Irish!

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not part of Great Britain. Great Britain is specifically the Island containing England, Wales, and Scotland. No Irish people, regardless of country, are British.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Ah, gotcha, thanks.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have no problem with Sir Derek being in SW, he isn't tied down to anything specific and so isn't typecast as some big character known to many, and he's a good actor.

With the right part he could be both a great good guy or bad guy.

He doesn't even need a big role, plenty of decent british actors like Julian Glover & Michael Sheard had memorable supporting roles in the OT.

14. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I love all the thread guardians around here. No bigger of a certain women's cleanliness product could you be than to point out silly things like where a thread should be! [face_laugh]

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Someone's been watching the Plinkett reviews. [face_whistling]

However, this is absolutely meaningless to the discussion, as Sir Derek Jacobi is hardly the guy you would see screaming about 'what does Marcellus Wallce look like?'

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    It's official. I want to be in SW7.

17. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
  18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Derek is awesome, I hope he gets in. I don't care if he does just want a paycheck.

19. Sniff lord

Sniff lord Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2012
    Would be awesome as a sith

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

20. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I'm talking in a cultural and historical sense, he and his people identify as being Irish. Just ask them

21. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    I'll think you will find that as far as ethnic sense there are plenty of Irish in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, such as my family and I.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Right. But what I'm saying is you're not British. You're Irish who are part of the UK.