main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It's already been said in far better detail, but WAR is just a benchmark stat. Looking at a guy with 8.3 WAR and saying he's better than the guy with 8.1 WAR is no more meaningful than saying the guy who hit .317 is better than the guy who hit .313. It's just one stat, albeit a bit more involved.

But if you think WAR is too complicated, have you ever tried breaking down batting average to its components? Sure, hits divided by at bats is simple. What's a hit? A batted ball in which the hitter reaches base. Unless the fielder misplays and and in some random guy's judgement its a hit. And unless a lead runner is tagged or forced out. What's an at bat? Plate appearances minus walks, HBP, and sacrifices. What's a sacrifice? We can keep going. But just like WAR, hits, at bats, and batting average are all calculated for you. And we can do the same thing with RBI, earned runs, baseball is full of stats that are needlessly complex, they're just second nature to everyone at this point.

Amazing.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just a sample of what's already on sale in Northern VA:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not just in northern Va, I know my local Kroger's here in Virginia Beach is selling Nat's championship T-shirts.

4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It's just kinda sad it was marked up so much that less than 3 weeks later it's already 25% off. Also they have lots and lots of merchandise. It really feels like the Caps championship was celebrated longer than the Nationals championship. Most of this stuff should sell for Christmas though, after that whatever's left should be a bargain :)

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Tunes - feels like we are in for a third straight off-season where a top player from Cleveland is heavily linked to a trade to the Dodgers and ends up not being traded there.

To be honest, I'm on board with trading Lindor this off-season and maximizing value. I think Bieber/Clevinger/Plesac/Plutko extends the window of contention for a few years and with pitching like that you can do real damage in the playoffs. If we can get a good ROI for Lindor now, and get that value to extend beyond the years he'd be here (because he's not getting a long-term extension from the Dolans), I'm on board to do so.

I just don't see the right fit with what the Dodgers would trade, unless it becomes a three-team deal.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]
    The Brewers’ new uniforms look pretty great . . . but the really important takeaway is that the best logo in sports is back full-time!

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Ugh I think it's time I get new glasses. I can't see the Yankees logo anywhere on those uniforms.

appleseed likes this.
  8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Seager would be the one to go, which is risky, but for Lindor? I take that risk.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005

because when I think of baseball meccas where the fans and general population have shown they can't enough baseball, I think ... Florida.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    They should just move the Rays to Disney World.

12. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Baseball absolutely needs to expand, but Orlando isn't it. They should move the Rays and expand to some combination of Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Amazing.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When BB&T Ballpark was built four years ago, there was a movement to ensure that it could be constructed/easily retrofitted as a major league stadium, but that was shot down with a claim that it would “take away from the minor league experience.”

I like the ballpark but WTF is a “minor league experience” and who cares when you could have the chance to bring a major league team to your city? If we did get a team, they’d probably play just over the SC state line in Fort Mill where the Knights used to play.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I want to make an argument for a team in Puerto Rico. But I can't do it

15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Yeah, I think Puerto Rico and Mexico are popular options from a "grow the sport globally" perspective, but I don't think either are particularly viable.

Amazing.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I like Puerto Rico from the "Damn, that crowd was awesome" when Cleveland and Minnesota played there perspective.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Unfortunately that is weighed against the "oh crap why are the Expos here" crowd.

But I'm sure the Marlins will bring out the crowds this year.

Amazing.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Most of baseball's been asking the "oh crap, why are the Rays here" question for a couple of decades. Unlike Miami, Tampa Bay has fielded some pretty good teams; and yet they draw anemic crowds at the Trop. I think the last time they had back to back sellouts at the Trop was when they played against Philadelphia in the '08 WS. They struggle to get 20K in any given game; including when the Yankees and Sox come to town.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  19. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    [​IMG]

I love how Gehrig immediately turns a check swing into tossing the bat for a walk

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

And people got on Bautista for the bat - flip.

21. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Funny thing is both pitchers in the running (Yumaguci and Arihara) won more games than deGrom did this past season; but if they're focused on IP when looking at ERA then it doesn't matter.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Orlando is a good market you got a lot of people moving there everyday to be near Disney and you got millions of tourists these are potential buts in seats so to speak at said new ballpark! I live in Punta Gorda Florida a little less then 2 hours southwest from Disney if this happens my family will plan Disney trips around Yankees and Mets games in Orlando! my mom sister and nephew are in Disney now they left tonight! although I could see Mexico as a good place to grow the sport with expansion as well! may be London if we have more games like this past Red Sox Yankees series, may be Japan. In the states I like Vegas and in Canada Vancouver...

in other news the Yankees hired MLB baseballs first ever Woman hitting coach for the minor leagues, Rachel Balkovec!
    [​IMG]
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/22/sports/baseball/yankees-woman-coach-hitting.html

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    moustakas to the reds. wonderful pickup on its own, but wounding your division rival in the process is a bonus.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Meanwhile Hal Steinbrenner says that the issue with the Yankees' losing to Houston in October was not because of the starting pitching. I guess that means he's going after some more sluggers to fill up the lineup (probably right-handed like last offseason).