main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Siri Tachi: a characterization discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by PadawanRoo, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm with Vongchild. And I'm the same way, if somebody changes there icon I'm totally confused... I rarely look at names, just icons.

Personally I can't get over thinking of Siri as looking like she does on the cover of that one JA book. :p Or when I get a view of my sister, just aged a decade or so...

2. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    I have Siri as Obi-Wan's soulmate. One half of the whole. They only show their true loving nature to each other and their children (BTW I'm starting on that "Untitled Siriwan this Sunday.)

3. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Hey Lady-Kenobi welcome to the Siriwan club. ;)

4. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Thank you!

I LOVE to see Obi-Wan in love with any woman (Obidala, Siriwan, Sabewan or Obi/OC.)!

I JUST WANT HIM TO BE LOVED, THAT'S ALL!

5. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Lady Kenobi - YAY!!!!! can't wait.

6. Denny

Denny Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2001
    I JUST WANT HIM TO BE LOVED, THAT'S ALL!

LOLOL! I know what you mean! I had my Obidala/Sabewan phase a couple years ago - it was my fangirl side wanting to see him loved - but I actually like the whole not mushiness stuff with the jedi now...

ggah I'm so curious about Siri and Ferus - I live in Brazil so the books come out expensive since they're imported - I have "The Approaching Storm", "The Truce at Bakura" and "Rogue Planet" and ohh.. a friend gave me "Vector Prime" - I read all about JA and JQ but I still haven't bought any of those yet - it's kinda hard to spend money on something u don't know if it's worth it.

I've read quite a gew Siri fics, and most of them portrayed Siri was a badgirl with an attitude - she's always portrayed as sexy and confident.

Now from what I know of her she does have an attitude.

I don't know what she's really like though - but I like the character - I wanna get to canon soon - meanwhile I'll stay tuned to this thread :)

cheers

7. Jedikma

Feb 5, 2004
    Seems to me that Obi-Wan also had a major attitude when the JA books started. He was described as having a lot of anger, so much that that is why Qui-Gon didn't want to take him as an apprentice. He grew up and his different experiences helped him grow out of that phase.

Siri is the same way. She's a little too quick to speak her mind and she learns through experience that it isn't always wise to open your mouth. She was angry about Obi-Wan leaving the order and she made a valid point when she told him his defection reflected on other padawans. She said a few things to him that hurt, but I also think she was sorry that she spoke so quickly. Also, after working with Obi-Wan more than once she learned some valuable lessons and let him know that. Her admission was her way of apologizing to him.

Her sarcasm is part of her humor. Obi-Wan is described as having a dry wit and to me that means he also has a sarcastic nature.

I don't know that Siri is bad tempered, but rather does have a problem with patience, which she struggles with even as an adult.

As far as Siri and Obi-Wan having an attraction, I can see it clearly. We see Siri through Obi-Wan's eyes, but it seems interesting to me that he is always noticing more personal aspects about her, such as her eyes. It makes far more sense to me that Obi-Wan, if he is going to fall in love, that he would fall in love with someone he has been around and known a long time. It certainly isn't unusual for friendships to turn into love relationships. In the JQ books Anakin notes that the two seem to bicker and banter a lot, but he comes to realize that there is a lot of repect behind it. I think it is just Obi-Wan and Siri's way of fighting an attraction that they both know is inapropriate.

In the JQ books she grows up to be less rule bound, but she certainly isn't rebellious enough to get kicked out of the Order. I just think she is a little more like Qui-Gon in the respect that she doesn't have a problem with bending some rules if it fits the situation. I do agree that she is a dedicated Jedi and fiercely loyal.

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    In the JQ books Anakin notes that the two seem to bicker and banter a lot, but he comes to realize that there is a lot of repect behind it. I think it is just Obi-Wan and Siri's way of fighting an attraction that they both know is inapropriate.

That is so true. At least, in the way I see it between them.

And your last paragraph, Jedikma, I think sums her up really well. Makes a lot of sense. :)

9. Jedikma

Feb 5, 2004
    A much more interesting question regarding Siri is what precipitated the change in her from her rule bound attutide as a child to her more lenient nature as an adult?

We know exactly what happened to Obi-Wan when he left the Order and became involved in Melida/Daan. I think that disaster had a great impact on him and turned him into a much more rule bound Jedi.

On the other hand, we don't know Siri's story, but we know something had to have happened those two years and, although she was undercover, for all practical purposes she was cut off from her Jedi family.

(I know there could be as many theories as to what happened as there are people on this board.)

As a child, Siri is rule bound, but she also has her hair cut so short that it looks boyish. Obi-Wan guesses she does it is to dim her beauty. Add that to the fact she hates being called "a little girl" and I think Siri has a hard time being taken seriously. She is trying to conform in order to be taken seriously. So it is possible that once she becomes an adult and has proven herself, she no longer has to conform and even 'rebels' a little.

Just some thoughts...

10. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    well, I'm glad I found this topic... a lot of good discussion going on.

oh, btw, hi, I'm Vivid_Scripts, and I think i'm fairly bad at characterization. I have a tendency to just take the characters, toss them around, and squeeze them until they fit the story line. I've done it twice with Anakin/Padme and once with Obi/Siri, and I'm about to do it again with both couples. I guess in some ways its alright to "redefine" characters this way when you're placing them in a crazy, radical AU, but I always feel a bit insecure when writing Siri.

About five or six months ago, when I first began planning "All Falls Down", it was supposed to be an Obi/OC story. I knew almost nothing about Siri Tachi. I read a few of Jedikma's fics, and that really made me a fan of Siriwan, and compelled me to place Siri as the main character in AFD (replacing the previously mentioned OC). So i set off and wrote a AU fic with a main character I knew nothing about. Sure, I read a few fanfics here and there, and I think I read 1 JA book, but thats it.

somehow, I got away with it. And now I'm planning another Obi/Siri story (still AU, but a bit less radical than AFD, i guess) and I can't help but feel like I cheated, like i cut a corner somewhere in the whole Fan Fiction Creation Process by not studying up on Siri...

well, reading this whole thread has been informative. I hope some of the tips here can go towards helping me write Siri in the future.

but what I have to say concerning Siri/Obi-Wan... well it seems to me that Siri and Obi-Wan are in love, but they spend most of their time trying to hide that from each other. I've heard a theory that sometimes people use humor and jokes to escape awkward situations, and I think thats what's constantly going on between Siri and Obi-Wan.

my new question I bring to the table for discussion-

Suppose sometime during the clone wars, Siri and Obi-Wan do decide to fall in love and have a Jedi affair (everything just sounds better when the word 'Jedi' is affixed to it, don't you think?) and Anakin catches them (Yes, everything just seems to get better when Anakin is involved too).
    Jedikma's "There is a Force" has explored the dynamics of a pre-AoTC Obi/Siri affair, but after AoTC, everything gets different. By this time, theres already a lot of baggage between Obi-Wan and Anakin about the code, Anakin has the burden of keeping his marriage with Amidala a secret and all three Jedi characters are beginning to waver under the pressures of the clone wars. We probably know how Anakin's going to respond. He'll probably get very angry and yell at Obi-Wan for being such a hypocrite, forcing all this bantha fodder about the code forbiding relationships, etc etc then storm out of the temple and go to everyone's favorite supreme chancellor for 'counseling'...

How will being caught change the dynamic between Obi-Wan and Siri? And when Anakin goes off on Obi-Wan, will Siri stand up for him? How will Siri respond to Anakin going off on her?

Oh yeah, and bonus question:
    How would Padme respond if Anakin told her about Obi-Wan's affair?

just a few thoughts...

11. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    sounds like you've got a settup for quite a viggie there.

Be sure to tell us how it turns out. There's a thread on the boards focusing specifically on Obi/Siri, so you may want to pop over there.

I have to say, though, and I'm really sorry if anyone takes offense because I honestly don't mean this as a personal attack on anyone, that I find it interesting how quickly people entwine Siri's characterization with a relationship. I read somewhere that we tend to judge men by their acheivements and women by their relationships, so it isn't exactly suprising, but perhaps it might be a tendency best combatted, in the name of gender equality?

Again, there is an entire thread dedicated to Siriwan. Would it be ok with everyone if we kept this one about just Siri?

The comment about Siri having trouble being taken seriously is very well-made. She obviously works very hard-- her appearance as a youth, her dedication to her studies and the code-- to be seen as a force to be reckoned with and someone to take seriously.

What effect, if any, do you all see Adi Galia having on that mindset? I think seeing and working with a woman who is strong and taken seriously without sacrificing her femininity might have been an extremely positive influence on Siri.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.