main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sith Trooper (Red Stormtrooper) Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You're just a crazy old Jedi.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's actually based on an old McQuarrie design that they found in the Lucasfilm archives. They put their own spin on it and painted it black.

3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's right. They elongated the snout quite a bit (and made other design changes to it), if I remember correctly from a panel with Chiang, added bits and bobs to it, and painted it black. And in so doing, created one of the most iconic trooper looks yet. The key inspiration from McQuarrie was the slenderness of the design. Edwards loved that elegance in McQuarrie's trooper designs, and therefore insisting on casting tall, thin athletes as Death Troopers. He didn't like the "football player" look that happened when bulkier actors had all that armor applied to them. And if I remember correctly, it was indeed Chiang who led the design process for it.

In short, COJ's "Doug Chiang's would just be the normal Stormtrooper armour painted black" is quite literally not true. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    EHT and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Glyn Dillon should also get some credit for the design.

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Personally I love it, it serves it's purpose as being the GFFA version of a UH-1 Huey, sadly they didn't use it enough late in the battle to give aerial fire support other than Bistan's.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Don’t worry. Crazy Old Jedi’s just being wrong again, that’s all.

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Chiang's the man. I pity da foo'.

And wait, whaa? :eek: I love the U-Wing as much as anyone, but that's what people cite as Chiang's influence on Star Wars? Not all that great prequels magic over two movies (and even then, he still did *some* of III, no? Along with the other lame guy?), especially the EpI awesomesaucery?

I call shenanigans.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The U-Wing is so dull because the brief was to design a machine that actually works. As much as I love the N-1 and the Jedi Starfighters....you know, astromech droids.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The scrambled voices are awesome. Posting this again for all of their lines in one place. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I liked the one where the subtitles read:

"Did he just call a child 'it'?"

"Yeah, he's kind of a ****."

[face_laugh]

godisawesome , vncredleader and EHT like this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    So, no red troopers in the trailers so far. I'm guessing that they are just on Exogol and Pryde's ship. The Sith Star Destroyers probably have a very small complement as they have no troops or TIE fighters being just giant flying cannons. Still makes me wonder where they actually come from though. Did Palpatine set up a cloning facility on Exogol or did Pryde and his cohorts in the F.O. 'transfer' selected troops out on a 'secret project'?

12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    The biggest trailer o was sith troopers and knights of ren. Hope we get a teaser for them or TV spot

13. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Where did you hear that? :confused:

We see TIEs in the trailer, including the sequence with the cavalry charge and mass of destroyers. They've marketed the red Sith stormtroopers really heavily, so I'd figure they're quite prominent in the third act. Why wouldn't the Death Star armed destroyers have TIEs & trooper battalions on board?

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Have these guys been cut from the film? Not in trailer and not on poster.[face_dunno]

15. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The ISDs have no hangar bays, if they did the initial Resistance fleet (a couple of dozen craft) would not last a minute. Two hundred odd ISDs could put out nearly 15,000 TIE fighters so just do the maths, odds too great even for Captain Solo.

It could be that the Sith Fleet is actually composed of drone ships, there may not be little more than a skeleton crew on them. That could be exactly why the Resistance have to knock out Pryde's control ship.

Not saying that there are not any TIE fighters to contend with but there won't be as many as a fleet of normal ISDs could put out.

16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    There are Sith Fighters appearing in posters. Not in huge numbers, and could be as background in the film as TIE Strikers in R1, but they're there.

17. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    thats it....it just occurred to me. Storm troopers, former clone troopers, will (for some unknown as yet reason) turn back...or otherwise come under the control of the good guys again...and be the good guys they were always meant to be. Syfo Dias will be redeemed!

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    That's a whole lot of Sith Troopers to cut out.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

But what, you're figuring all the TIEs have launched from somewhere else on Exogol rather than the destroyers? Seems a little odd.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Are the Sith TIEs flown by Red TIE Fighter Pilots???

Hasbro wins again....[face_laugh]

21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The Sith Troopers are no secret, there are toys everywhere yet we have seen several clips from the movie where we should see them. I'm not counting the scene on the 'burnt' planet as I'm not sure that it hasn't been edited out. Besides that would be before Kylo visits Exogol and we don't know whether Palpatine gifted him the Sith Troopers or not.

So, Pasaana - Kylo and the KoR are there. Should be Sith Troopers as well? No, just regular F.O. in the crowd scenes and chasing our heroes.

Kijimi, we have seen no action sequences on this planet but we have seen two brief clips on Kylo's personal Stardestroyer. Both of these show several F.O. Stormtroopers and no Sith Troopers.

Kef Bir - nothing happens there as Kylo turns up on his own.

After that Kylo is on his own and the next time we are rumoured to see Sith Troopers is when Rey fights them on Exogol.

And...if they are in the movie and need to make an impact then I can only see them as the opponents being ferried in to face Finn, Jannah and the cavalry on Pryde's ship. Quite why Pryde's soldiers can't open a door on the side of the ship and cut them off I don't know.

TLDR - The Sith Troopers are not Kylo's but Palpatine's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    whostheBossk likes this.
  22. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    maybe theyv got something to do with the pretorian guards[​IMG]

23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    As more and more media is released it seems to me that the Red Troopers and their Sith Dagger pilot compatriots are only on Pryde's ship. The Resistance ships and fighters only meet resistance from Sith Daggers and the cavalry charge fight against Red Sith troopers that have been shipped onto the deck. If all those Sith ISDs were manned then the Resistance fleet would have been crushed in seconds. The ISDs are simply no more than unmanned drone gunships with auto-cannon defences. Presumably Palpatine realised that putting all his eggs in one Death Star shaped basket was risky and had these ISDs converted in secret (probably not long after the Battle of Yavin). Palpatine has no Grand Army, just a gift of dozens of Superweapons. Just one First Order Stardestroyer, controlling a half dozen of the flying guns is worth one Death Star, and the First Order have a lot of Stardestroyers.

24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    "...and the cavalry charge fight against Red Sith troopers that have been shipped onto the deck."

[​IMG]

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    ^That scene looked like shop opening at black Friday.