main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Sith Trooper (Red Stormtrooper) Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kez-Iban, Mar 28, 2019.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahhaa I literally didn't put two and two together that the Red colour scheme of the Sith Fleet final order is supposed to be the red Sith sabers until the post above. I get it now!

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The First Order and Final Order/Sith Loyalists both used red a lot, as did the Empire, thats cause black and red were typical Sith colors that these organizations were formed by and serve. The Imperial colors on the flag was a red blackground, with the white circle and the black emblem to resemble the Nazi flag. Sometimes silver was used in place of whites. Also they use a lot of panzer grey or other shades of dark or light greys.

The Sith Fleet uniforms looked like WWII Panzer crews or like SS ceremonial , black with red piping and white/silver insignias.

Overall I think the red armor of the Sith Trooper was mainly to just symbolize the flayed muscle tissue rather than the skeletal look of the Stormtrooper . And to invoke the Death Trooper program of elite, basically Waffen SS-like status . The T-visor was to invoke the Clone Troopers.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    It was a nice mix of past trooper designs. The only thing is we were left with much desired. We got one great shot of a jumptrooper flying through some fire and a few shots of smoke ground fire. I'd prefer some more action sequences of the Sith troopers in battle without a musical montage and just giving us real live action. Can their armor protect against the gravity wells and solar winds of Exegol?

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They were hardly shown on screen, as many predicted in here earlier. What's interesting to me is how they somehow look more plastic or fake than other troopers, even the FO stormtroopers they were mostly derived from. It's almost like looking at a lifesize version of the Black Series 6 inch figure of them, IMO.

5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I find that a lot of designs for movies over designed and over-textured these days. A product of 4K tvs and being able to see individual stitch patterns from 90 feet away.

And yeah, a lot of these things look like toys blown up 200%. They have the same - I don't even know what you'd call it - artifacts of making something small, and then blowing it up.

An example of that is this thing. It doesn't look like its been designed at full scale. looks like someone designed a Hot Wheels toy of a batmobile and then biggified it.
    [​IMG]

6. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    These guys need to be retconned as clones or droids so fast.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Sauron_18 likes this.
  7. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Most of the issues that exist because of the Exegol fleet could be solved by saying it was all done by droids. Might have been neat to see updated versions of battle droids. Would have tied all three trilogies together a lot better too.

8. Vympel

Vympel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2002
    Remembering when I first saw Sith Troopers and thinking they'd all have Boba's voice.

Then they were in the movie for like a minute, and production was clearly so rushed that somehow the Funko Pop! of the Sith Jet Trooper looks totally different from the film version (i.e. the film version is just the First Order Jet Trooper, but painted red, while the Funko version has the lined texturing on the armor that the basic Sith Troopers have).

LOL, clownery.

9. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    Better yet, make them strand-casts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't have an issue with red stormtroopers per se, but I thought their overall design/conceptualisation (as with most of it throughout the ST) was extremely lacking. I'm sure there were much better concepts left on the design table... there had to have been...

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  11. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    I thought the design was the best thing about them personally. Well, except for the useless kneepads that were attached to the thigh-armor and not the shin-armor. That was dumb.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    One gets the feeling they remained a concept in the final film strictly based off how cool they looked, and nothing else. They “smell” like a cool concept art from early in production (perhaps back with Trevorrow’s “Brutetroopers”) and simply still looked cool enough that no one wanted them removed.

Hoenstly, I wouldn’t mind seeing some survivors in post-ST content on the run and desperate, just because of how cool they look.

13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I like the Red Sith Stormtroopers more than the FO ones tbh. They look crazy. The FO ones look like they were made by Oakley (sports equipment co). They look like they're gonna play some space volleyball.

And they're duckbilled. Like a Platypus. I can never not see it.

14. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Only this platypus belongs in Star Wars:
    [​IMG]

15. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    My only problem was there wasn't enough of them. But, the sith jet troopers were just lazy.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  16. Vympel

Oct 31, 2002
    I think that would've been less pronounced if all the merch around them wasn't mostly based on their TFA iteration. In TLJ they fixed them up so the seam in the helmet was more pronounced and added teeth to the mouth grill. Really good change.

17. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    It reminded me of Gary Oldman in Dracula.
    [​IMG]

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    What I don't particularly like about the design of the Sith Troopers is that they appear to be predominantly based on the existing design of the First Order Stormtroopers, which have obviously evolved from the Kaminoian (?) designs of the Clone Troopers from circa 50/60 years earlier. Within universe, there may be a good reason why the Sith Troopers look similar to the FO (they shop at the same retailer etc.), but from a design/concept perspective, I would have liked to have seen something a bit braver/bolder, that suggested something more ancient, or even something more reminiscent of Vader?

19. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I love the idea of their being clones or strandcasts. It fits perfectly with the setting, explains how that army could’ve appeared relatively out of nowhere, and finally gives the Sith an army of evil clones red armor. There’s technically nothing in the movie to contradict this.

20. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Abrams consistently chooses the least interesting concept designs.

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The design may be better than the FO stormtroopers, but "Sithtroopers" is a dumber concept. Part of the visual intimidation factor of the Empire was its colorless uniformity. The bright red plastic-looking armor just doesn't work, IMO. The Sithtroopers just strike me as toy ideas that were worked into the film.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Sarge and CampOfSorgan like this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I've always been into the notion of Sithtroopers... but they needed a design that was so obviously less derivative of stormtroopers. And to be honest I was surprised that they didn't try and utilise the iconography of Darth Vader for them... or something that referenced Darth Vader.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The design seems very Sith to me. It’s saying Darth Sidious is showing himself this this time. No more hiding behind a Republic Clone Army or secular Galactic Empire. This time it will be an out in the open Sith Empire.

That describes the look of the First Order. Take the design of anything from the Empire in the Original Trilogy and add to it. Add more guns, or a giant gun. Take a one seat craft and make it two. Scale it up so it’s the same but bigger.

It felt like a toy line where after a number of years earlier toys are updated and resold in brighter colors with extra accessories.

The resistance was more nuanced with slightly updated version of what the rebels used.

When the final story of the ST revealed it was Palpatine behind the First Order and the First Order was really a secondary distraction in service to a larger Sith plan - the pumped up
    Imperial designs made much more sense to me. The First Order is what it looks like.

25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure it does make that much sense, given that the stormtrooper design actually harkens back to what the Kaminoians manufactured for their clone army. If the clonetrooper design overtly referenced the look of ancient Sith troopers/soldiers, then the Jedi would have been onto Palpatine's plan in the PT. That they didn't see any resemblance suggests that clonetroopers didn't look like ancient Sithtroopers. Ergo, the Sithtroopers of TROS are more referencing clonetroopers (and their evolution into stormtroopers) than anything from Sith history. It's another example as to how these films don't even understand their own design aesthetic IMO.