main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SJRS-Skywalker-Jade Revival Society--locked in order to set up Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Not so long ago in a city not so far away...

There was a man named Timothy Zahn.

And this man, having superior writing abilities and recognizing The Great Flanneled One's deteriorating ability to write romance or choose authors who could (Han and Leia, good. Ani/Padme', not very good. Luke/Gaeriel? Fair. Luke/Callie? Awful. See the pattern? Gets worse as time passes), decided that our dearest Lukie needed someone to rattle his brain and get him to stop philosophising on Yavin 4. (Poor guy was going to meditate himself into the ground.)

And so was born Mara Jade.

And we were all so happy when our favorite Jedi Master finally gave up the ceilbacy thing (which never really was in style anyway) in exchange for everybody's favorite redhead. For a long time there was peace in the land, and there were Luke/Mara stories everywhere.

Alas, many of the great authors of old have begun to drift, and the great L/M Order was shattered.

We must unite. ;)

Any and all Luke/Mara writers, sign up here! The point of this, our Society, is to revive the art of Luke/Mara stories. We will re-organize the L/M story index, collect more stories, provide help with characterization and plot bunnies. Our current home is The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Message Boards. Register and post there if you would like to join.

Current members:

We now have over 100 members. The list can be viewed at our message board by clicking on the menu button at the top that reads "Members".

2. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Sign me up! I'm working on a long L/M fic and I'd love to get it indexed!

*sigh* I remember reading VotF, and skipping to the parts with only Luke and Mara. The rest of the book wasn't too good, IMO, but I loved the L/M plotline!

And yes, Calista was just a poor excuse of a love for Luke. He needed someone like Mara.

Long live L/M!

~ Jaded Skywalker ~

3. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    :-D

Come on in, Jaded!

(I did that, too. I bought VotF for the sole purpose of reading the L/M plotline!)

A story? Yayness...I'd love to see. ;)

4. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Yeah, and after skipping to all the L/M parts I would reread them over and over again. :D

And the fic is in the final stages! Thank heavens! I've only been working on it for a year now! :) I'm that slow of a writer... :p

5. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *steps inside, immediately does a ritual bow to the portrait of Zahn, and waves to everyone*

Room for another, Emmi? ;)

AQ

6. inez_the_swampgirl

inez_the_swampgirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    *lovingly runs fingers down the cracked spine of VotF* Ahh...page 84, our couple meets for the first time below ground. And look, here is page 258 through 263, poor Mara is shot and Luke ponders his 'beloved'. Then there is no word from our heroes for 136 pages as we are made to wait to discover Mara's fate. :mad: But alas! Our beloved Mara awakens, goes on to set right the evil EU authors of old by steering Luke away from the last vestiges of Darkside influence and then... :D PAGE 645!!!! "Will you marry me?" *swoons*

Count me in. I'm not much of a writer, but I'm most certainly a reader. ;)

inez

7. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    before you "Reorganize" the Luke/Mara story database, please inform me. i am the one that started that database and I was planning to try to re-organize it anyway.

8. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Ah, great pages inez! I loved it when the phrase that would wake Mara up was "I love you" or something of the sorts. Slightly cheezy but such a good fit for the whole scene! I was grinning ear to ear when he woke Mara up and they shared their first kiss. *swoons*

9. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, Liz, we might just need to start a new one. The old one's pretty bad and nowhere near as complete as it could be. I'm actually going to start an L/M archive off of the boards when we get enough stories.

Welcome, everyone!

10. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Finally! I'm a massive fan of M/L, unfortuantly, every other attempt I've tried at writing a romance for them falls to DWB. Ah well, can I still join?

VotF, loved it. First time I read that scene where he asks her to marry him, I was cheering. MJ is prefect for our sometimes too serious Jedi, she brings the farmboy side out. :D

11. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    well,Em, the thing is - there aren't enough PG rated Luke and Mara fics out there on theforce.net

I'd prefer to list only the ones that are posted here. I also accept any fanfics that have Luke and Mara in them, too.

I'll plan to reorganize it as soon as I can.

12. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Welcome, Neon, AQ! Glad to have you!

There needs to be a new one, Liz. The old one is ill-organized and really needs to be controlled by a group of people instead of just one person. I'm going to search for people on the boards who write L/M, instead of just letting them post on their own. If the group approves, I also would like to suggest that we organize a rating system, and have several people read each story and give it a rating and a review.

We have work to do, guys! I have some ideas on what we might do to start revamping and reorganizing our genre, but first I want to get imput from you all! Any ideas?

13. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Ooh...I have been bitten by a plot bunny!
    I shall have a new vignette soon!

*cackles a la AQ*

Emmi

Luke and Mara forever!

14. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    While I'm all for any event of industry, and this is impressive and all, but... "The great flanneled one's inability to write romance"?? C'mon, Han Solo and Leia was one of the most impressive romances I've seen in an adventure movie, or heck, a lot of movies, period. Lucas definitely knows how to write romances. Maybe he hasn't written any for the character you prefer, but, hey, that's what fanfic is for. I just don't think it's write to say he *can't* write romance.

15. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I loved the Han/Leia bit . . . [face_love] But Luke really needed someone! I mean, his love interest ended up being his sister . . . 8-}

16. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    *looks around and waves to everyone*

The Society is growing! :D

*raises an eyebrow* Emmi, am I rubbing off on you?

Also, if there is a new archive-type thing for the L/M stories, will it include stories that feature Luke or Mara as main characters, though not in a romantic way? Example, my vignette All the Gifts I Have Been Given.

Just a question.

AQ

17. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I have some ideas and I would like them actually considered first before they are shot down.

If you look at the sticky index at the top of the page of the main fanfic forum, there is a arrangement like this:

Title (linked)
    Author(s)
    Date begun
    Summary (25 words or less)
    Sequel? (list previous entries, title only, if applicable)
    Notes (major genre, major characters, alternate universe, any major relationships if applicable, EU noncompliant, etc--list of common abbreviations below)

If you are serious about rearranging stories, then look at my idea I had for rearranging......its basically that format.

Also, are stories that would be reviewed going to be completed, in progress, etc?

Any *extremely* CRITICAL reviews should be sent directly to the author, as that would be rude to post it directly.

I have an idea for the rating system, using the faces.

For example:

Angst = :_| up to 5 faces

Romance = [face_love] up to 5 faces

etc

If you want any readers for reviewing, I'd suggest advertising this place in the Mara Jade fan club. Now I know how one of you feels about promotion, but this would not only get your readers (maybe for reviewing) but you'd also get at least one or two more writers.

Also, when I asked for you to inform me about the new databank, the reason is.....if you notice the sticky in THIS forum.......there is a sticky for databanks.

I asked so I can just edit it for the NEW one.

That way, there is only ONE link, and it won't get confusing for others.

I think instead of having authors post their stories themselves......they should PM the information and be as detailed as possible.

I hope you like my ideas........I really thought these through.

The reason for asking for the databank thing is so if people go to the sticky and see 2 links, they wouldn't get confused. I can just edit the ORIGINAL LINK and put a bolded note that its NEW.

EDIT: AngelQueen, I think that is an acceptable idea. I think any sort of story with Luke and Mara or with Mara as main characters SHOULD be accepted.

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    'Course, AQ. That'd be great! And it's getting so big!

Your ideas are cool, Liz-one thing though. You see, the databank is set up where you set up a welcome message and let all the authors post their own links at will. That can be changed from now on, but the ones that have already been posted cannot. It's a mess. What I want to do is lock the old thread after we gather all the links, do a little more searching and expand the main database, categorize the stories and post them all on one page, on the front page. The format would be a tad like Julie's Complete Index, only a little more detailed, since we have less stories to read and review.

We have anyone send new links to whoever we vote in to coordinate the database, and then she will post the new links only after she has a substantial amount of new ones. We can vote on a number of new links the manager has to have before she can post.

Not all the stories have to be reviewed. We could set up a review system like the archive does-the reviewers choose which stories they want to review, and those are usually the best ones. We could also allow authors the option of asking for their story to be reviewed, if they really want it to be.

I'd really prefer if the old one were locked and we restarted it. It's absolutely nothing against you, Liz, but I was getting through that thing the other day and it would be so much easier to use if all the links (or at least most of them) were in the same place.

Also, I've gotten an idea on how to get the best L/M stories circulated better. We could have a system where authors submit stories to a committee, and they, based on a series of standards that we set, will review the stories decide whether they should have the "SJRS stamp of approval" or something like that. It would catch readers' eyes, tagging the stories as the best. Whatcha think?

19. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I've set up temporary page here for our website. I'm going to code the HTML from scratch. Does anyone have any ideas for the website? I know there should be a fanfic database, and a picture archive, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Emmi

EDIT: I think the Great One's romance-writing ability has deteriorated with time. Han/Leia was good; very good in fact, but I was not at all impressed with Anakin and Padme'.

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Also, are stories that would be reviewed going to be completed, in progress, etc?

Good question, Liz. That will probably be the first category that we separate the stories into: complete and in-progress. What we'll probably do is have all of the complete stories open for review. Authors can request help or opinions on their in-progress stories, as long as it's done in a respectful fashion.

That's only an option, though. I really, really want you guys to pour out the ideas! This is not just my society. It belongs to the JCers who want more Luke and Mara stories to circulate. I want everyone (including you, Liz. I'm not trying to discriminate against you for anything-I just really believe the databank is one of the keys for the Society-if people can find stories quickly and easily, then they will most likely read them. Maybe someone out there has an idea for a compromise?) to contribute. :-D

Love to everyone!

Emmi

EDIT: I really like your rating system, Liz!

21. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Liz-*laughs* The rating system sounds adorable! :D I like!

Emmi-You've got some wonderful ideas for the site and the new databank.

I have a few suggestions of my own, in fact.

1. About the Databank, I've been in the Obidala & Obi-Wan/Sabe Databank and I've noticed that AERYN_SUN keeps all the links in the top post. I don't know if that's exactly practical though, since she just lists the links to the stories and the authors. The new databank will probably have a lot more info.

2. For the site, perhaps we could have a series of reviews on Mara from different people. Have a few volunteers write up their perspectives of the character that Timothy Zahn created, even have them respond to specific questions.

I even have a few ideas on those as well. ;)

AQ

22. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I love that idea about the reviews, AQ!

It will have a lot more info, that's for sure. I don't want it *all* on the same post. That definetly wouldn't be practical. The ones in there now, though, should probably be on the first page. That would make it so much easier to have just one person post the links.

AQ, would you like to organize the first Mara review?

23. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    *grins* Emmi, I'd love to. I do have some ideas as to how to go about it, and I even have some questions that could be answered in the review.

I was thinking that I could write the first one, and have it posted up on the site, provided that it meets with everyone's approval.

Then, at the bottom of the page, there could be a subject of a weekly review for anyone to write on and submit. It could change every week, or however often we want it to.

*laughs* Now I've got so many ideas for this I'm going to be up writing all night. ;)

AQ

Edit: Emmi, I love your sig, BTW. *cackles a la Palpy* :D :D

24. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    I love it, AQ! I'm going to start coding the site soon...you'll have plenty of time, because it's going to take a while.

If anyone has good L/M pictures, please send them in. I'm going to need them for the archives and for our logo/banner.

25. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    i have na idea....

how about grouping the fanfics like

OT - takes place during one of the OT movies

EU Compatible - takes place following the EU. THis can be after VOTF, etc,

and AU - where it may or may not follow the EU completely.

This is just a suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.