main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Skeleton Crew, Grammar Rodeos & the Law (Jon Watts TV show)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, May 17, 2022.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    [​IMG]

From Vanity Fair:

Another new series on the horizon doesn’t even have a title, just a code name: Grammar Rodeo, a reference to an episo
    de of The Simpsons in which Bart and his schoolmates steal a car and run away for a week, using a phony educational event as an alibi. The show takes place during the post–Return of the Jedi reconstruction that follows the fall of the Empire, the same as The Mandalorian, but its plot remains a secret. It’s created and executive-produced by director Jon Watts and writer Chris Ford, who made Spider-Man: Homecoming for Marvel. A casting notice has called for four children, around 11 to 12 years old. Inside Lucasfilm, the show is being described as a galactic version of classic Amblin coming-of-age adventure films of the ’80s.

And from Variety:

Jon Watts’ ‘Star Wars’ Series Revealed: A Galactic Version of 1980s Coming-of-Age Adventures

Rumors first circu
    lated in February that Tom Holland’s “Spider-Man” director Jon Watts was circling a “Star Wars” television series at Disney+, but a new report from Vanity Fair now confirms the show. Lucasfilm gave no plot details about the project. Vanity Fair reports the show is being developed under the code name “Grammar Rodeo,” which is “a reference to an episode of ‘The Simpsons’ in which Bart and his schoolmates steal a car and run away for a week, using a phony educational event as an alibi.”

Vanity Fair’s report continues: “The show takes place during the post–’Return of the Jedi’ reconstruction that follows the fall of the Empire, the same as ‘The Mandalorian,’ but its plot remains a secret. It’s created and executive-produced by director Jon Watts and writer Chris Ford, who made ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ for Marvel. A casting notice has called for four children, around 11 to 12 years old. Inside Lucasfilm, the show is being described as a galactic version of classic Amblin coming-of-age adventure films of the ’80s.”

Watts’ series joins “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” “Ahsoka,” “The Mandalorian” Season 3, and “Andor” on Lucasfilm’s upcoming “Star Wars” television slate. The director recently completed his Holland-starring “Spider-Man” trilogy with “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” which grossed close to $2 billion worldwide at the box office.

Confirmation of Watts’ “Star Wars” series follows news from last month revealing that the director exited his filmmaking duties on Marvel’s upcoming “Fantastic Four” movie. Watts was originally announced as the film’s director.

“Making three ‘Spider-Man’ films was an incredible and life changing experience for me,” Watts said in a statement. “I’m eternally grateful to have been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for seven years. I’m hopeful we’ll work together again and I can’t wait to see the amazing vision for Fantastic Four brought to life.”

In addition to his “Star Wars” series, Watts is also set to write and direct a film reuniting George Clooney and Brad Pitt as rival fixers that Apple Studios won in a high-stakes auction last fall. And he’s producing a new film in the “Final Destination” horror franchise for New Line Cinema and HBO Max.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I am 90% thinking this is the Luke's Jedi Academy show

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah, that is what I have seen pretty much everyone say as soon as it was revealed that this was New Republic instead of High Republic.

Honestly makes me wonder if I missed something, because nothing in this seems to confirm jedi to me. It is a possibility sure, but no one seems to be considering other ones.
    Particularly since there would the whole issue people had when Grogu left with Luke - the whole sword of Ren hanging over the cute kids we will get attached to.

....come to think of it, the description kind of makes me think of the old Ewok movies.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I heard someone give the idea it's about those kid rebels on Coruscant....Considering how much of the post Endor Era takes from the Aftermath Interlude.

I'm only going with Luke's academy because of the kinda set up we have in Book of Boba...as well as some of the rumors i've heard floating around this for a while.

Also Jon Watts Spider-Man made for very good teen school stories

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2022
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think a Jedi Academy story is kind of needed at this point. Mostly for Ben Solo's sake.

With "Stranger Things" having been attached as a descriptor, it can have a more ominous tone to it. We know these kids aren't shaping up to be full blown Jedi by TFA, but we could stand to see Ben struggling with dark voices etc as well as friendships and conflicts he has with his peers.

Basically a canon YJK. What if YJK had been written after NJO and LOTF kind of.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I’m hoping it’s Luke’s academy, we really need a Jedi focused tv series that shows training between master and apprentices.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Dawud786 like this.
  7. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Ooohh....I do like that Coruscant kids idea. Seems fitting.

Fair enough.

(Though personally I didn't really get the vibe from the Luke episodes about him starting up an academy any time soon - if I anything, I think Grogu's rejection of jedi training would probably shake Luke's confidence about the whole thing. Particularly since canon as it is makes it clear Luke doesn't start his academy for a while afterwords and spends a lot of time exploring ruins to study jedi culture. Filoni has changed details before, but changing the whole trajectory of his story seems like something else.)

For Ben's sake? Honestly I don't think an academy show would do him any favors - we saw how people reacted to the idea of Grogu being killed by him, imagine how they would react to a whole cast of characters to get attached to with that fate hanging over their heads.

As for canon YJK...I think that might work better with Rey than Luke, given how Luke's academy ends....

I kind of feel like most of the shows have been about that. At least, certainly every animated show except for Bad Batch.

8. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Can’t say I’m excited for this. There’s going to be so much cgi mark hamill.

RogueWhistler likes this.
  9. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    This could always be prequel era or Rey's academy post TROS. (Though i doubt it is.)

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    "The show takes place during the post–Return of the Jedi reconstruction that follows the fall of the Empire, the same as The Mandalorian."

11. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Real talk, The Clone Wars did wonders for Anakin's character and we knew where that was going.... killing younglings.

A series about a young Ben could be good for him. Shoot, The Rise of Kylo Ren already essentially absolves him of responsibility for the actual destruction of Luke's academy and the murder of most of the Jedi apprentices there. That looks like a Force storm Sidious dropped on the place.

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    In that case, forget what I said.

13. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I was referring to Live Action Tv series (I should have made that clear). In which so far all we have in upcoming live action is solo Jedi Obiwan, ex-Jedi Ahsoka, and maybe some Jedi (though I doubt they would be the main focus) training in The Acolyte. Obviously Luke training Grogu is a dead end.

We need a proper story about the Jedi post RoTJ, that deals with their "return" (even though said return only lasted around 16 years until Academy destruction).

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    For reference:

clone commander bossk likes this.
  15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Well, I'm definitely tamping down any hopes for this to be Jedi related. That said, I had no idea Jude Law was associated with this! Cool.

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Sadly this doesn’t seem to be about Luke’s students.

Set around Mando season 3 time period. Still a few years before 10yrs after RoTJ, in which the academy is formed.

But perhaps some of the kids (even though they are a little older then Ben Solo) could later encounter Luke and become his first students in a few years.

At least I hope we see Luke Skywalker, even if it’s just another cameo.

Golbolco likes this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Jude Law plays an angry, down-on-his-luck ex-Imperial Officer during the post-ROTJ days who inadvertantly signs up for a gig that turns out to be planned by a skeleton crew of children. Mayhem ensues.

I have no idea if that's the plot but that's the plot until I hear otherwise.:p

VexedAtVohai and MercenaryAce like this.
  19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Sooo...small group of kids gets their hands on a ship in an otherwise isolated location and gets lost in a wider galaxy....

Kind of reminds me of Star Trek Prodigies, which I find very funny considering a bunch of people commented that said show almost felt more star wars and star trek. Liked it anyway, so wouldn't mind seeing a star wars version...though given the "staring kids but not for kids" line and Stranger Things comparison, I guess the tone is probably very different. Should be interesting either way.

A fair point. (Though it is not like TCW focused on any jedi that Anakin directly killed, especially not the kids)

As for Rise of Kylo Ren...hmmmm....yes I suppose some more characterization could do a lot for the character's perception.

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been busy.

Ah, oh. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Dawud786 likes this.
  20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I get you, though TCW *did* give us a group of younglings going on their Gathering, who probably all died in Order 66.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  21. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I feel like this is an attempt to widen the galaxy a bit, and I’m all for it!

also kinda sounds like Star Trek voyager just with kids and Jude law.

22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Jude Law as a droid would be kind of dope imo. They wouldn't use someone of his high profile for that, but I think it would be great and funny.

23. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    A fair point.

Indeed.

I always love little stories that are their own corner of the universe rather than dealing directly with the main characters and conflict of the original, and of the various shows announced, this rivals Acolyte in being its own thing from the sound of it.
    (Though I suppose it was mentioned that it is connected to the Mando block of stories, and given the description I actually wonder how that works. Are the kids from a world ruled by Thrawn, and they end up giving the Mandos and New Republic vital intel against him? Or is it just a timeframe thing with maybe a cameo or two?)

As for the later - well, star trek prodigies pretty much is a Voyager sequel with kids. A holographic version of Janeway is even a major character.

24. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I’m interested. This sounds better to me than a Jedi academy show.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmm.... he does have experience playing a robot forced into child care....