main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Skybeard (LMB SJRS August 2014 challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jul 31, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Title: Skybeard
    Author: Briannakin
    Timeframe: 30, 60 ABY
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Ben Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker
    Notes: Written for the SJRS August Challenge:

The 'Contractually Obligated Beard!'

For this challenge you must write a fic in which Luke has a beard. It can be in any universe (D-canon, Legacy, or any AU). You MUST include: Mara's reaction/opinion, a razor (or whatever GFFA equivalent), and the word "obligated" (or any tense of the word you want). BONUS POINTS if you include the phrase "I don't shave for _______ _________"

30 ABY

“Mommy, when’s Daddy coming home?” four-year-old Ben asked weakly from his mountain of pillows in the middle of his parent’s bed. Poor kid was suffering from a flu, not too bad to be anything serious, but Mara had spent most of the past three days up with him.

“He’ll be home in a few hours. Just take some medicine and he’ll be here when you wake up,” Mara said holding a spoonful of kid’s cough syrup and a glass of blue milk. She honestly just wanted to knock him out so she could get some sleep.

“No… It’s gross,” he whined. He then went into a coughing fit.

“If you take the medicine, we can snuggle.”

Ben begrudgingly opened his mouth and Mara spooned the medicine in, then handed him the milk and helped him drink.

He pushed away the glass when he was done and wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his X-Wing pyjamas. “Can we snuggle now?” he asked rather pathetically.

She crawled into bed and wrapped her arms around him.

Luke returned home in the middle of the night. He had just spent three months on some gross, backwater world. He knew he should probably have a shower, but he just wanted to crawl into bed with Mara and Ben and sleep.

Quietly, he stripped to his undergarments and got into bed. When he moved to kiss Mara’s cheek, she woke suddenly and with a surprised gasp. “Luke! What the krell is on your face?”

She turned on the light and stared.

“What?” he asked. He was sporting a full beard he had at least trimmed on the way back; he wasn’t sure if he wanted to keep it.

Ben was waking by now. “Daddy?” he asked rubbing his eyes. He then opened them and was startled. “Uhaaahrg.” He turned and hid in the folds of the fabric of Mara’s nightgown and began crying.

“He’s just tired and drugged out. He needs his sleep, as do I.”

Luke nodded. It wasn’t the welcome back he had expected. Now he regretted not picking up the vibro-razer before he came home. “Okay, well, I love you Ben. It’s good to see you and I want you to feel better,” Luke said, rubbing his son’s back.

Without looking at Luke’s face, Ben rolled over and clung to his dad. Ben fell back asleep within a moment.

Luke moved to give Mara another kiss, but found that she was asleep too so, holding Ben, he drifted off as well.

When Luke woke, he found Mara, with Ben in her lap, sitting at the foot of the bed. They were both staring at him.

“What?” Luke asked.

“I ‘donno, Mommy,” Ben said.

“I’m not sure either,” Mara replied.

“WHAT?” Luke demanded.

“The beard,” Mara explained. “We don’t know if we like it.”

“Well, it’s my face and my beard,” Luke said, his voice full of mirth. “Isn’t my facial hair my decision?”

“No!” Ben said, laughing. He was obviously feeling better.

“Well, I don’t shave for Ben Skywalker.” That made Ben go into fits of giggles.

“Yes, but you are obligated to keep your wife happy,” Mara pointed out. “You know, because I do have the ability to turn you into some strange, old, bearded man in a hut on some desert planet.”

“You really don’t like it, do you?”

“Yes? No? I don’t know. It’s different.” After a few more moments, she spoke again. “I think I do like it, but the only problem is, I don’t like kissing wookiees.”

Ben laughed more.

“Fine, I’ll go shave,” Luke said with a resigned sigh.

60 ABY

Mara watched her aging husband as he read his data-pad in his lounger. He was looking very distinguished with his neatly trimmed beard. The front door then opened and four children burst in. Ajac was 8, MJ was 6, Hana was 5 and little Layla was 2. They were screaming “Grandpa! Grandpa!” as they swarmed him. Gone was the distinguished Jedi Master, replaced by a playful grandfather.

Ben, also sporting a beard - though his was VERY red - walked in, beside him was his wife, Janna. “Hey Dad. I’m liking the beard.”

Luke smiled. “Took you 30 years to decide.”

It took Ben a moment, but then started laughing.

Janna looked at her husband, then father-in-law quizzically.

“When Ben was like, what, 4? I came home from a mission with a beard. At first he was scared, then he couldn’t decide if he liked it.”

“Why haven’t you grown a beard since, Pa?” MJ asked.

“Because your grandma didn’t like it,” Ben answered.

“Oh no,” Luke corrected his son. “She liked it. She just didn’t like kissing me when I had it.” He then grabbed his granddaughter and kissed her all over her face.

“THAT TICKLES!” MJ shrieked and laughed.

“Are you sure you can handle these four for the week?” Janna asked.

“Yes, you two go.” Luke ushered the parents out before getting out the buckets of toys and began to play with his grandchildren.

Mara, as much as it pained her, knew she had to leave too, before she was spotted. She faded into the distance, taking comfort in the fact that Luke would join her, but not for a long time.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Ahhh....that was nice. I was wondering why Luke grew the beard if Mara didn't like kissing him with it. Nicely done.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely and amusing first scene full of teasing and family goodness. Second part: Adored Luke with the grandkids. @};- He deserves to have a whole brood to spoil. ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Seems Ben liked his dad's beard more than he let on ;)
    Loved the grandchildren!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Aww, had to include the LEU-canon pathos of Force Ghost!Mara at the end. *sniffle* Still le cute, though.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A funny and also touching piece with Mara seeing a happy family

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh this was so lovely and sweet with family moments and Luke with the grandkiddies and then, punch in the gut!

Lovely:)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Very sweet!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I just had to add that the title of this fic keeps making me think of Luke as a pirate. :p

*waits for thread to explode in 3...2...1...*

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  10. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Awwww, that was simply adorable.

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I know about the beard problem...

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    This was very sweet; but that last sentence made me sad and happy.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  13. bkwrm752003

bkwrm752003 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    I love this cute story. I wish there was a way on this site to save it so I can read it over and over again.

I loved Ben and Mara trying to decide if they liked the beard. Funniest part. :)

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I hit Watch Thread near the top of the forum page when I want to save a thread. Then all you have to do is hover your mouse over your username at the top of the board to trigger the drop-down menu and click on the Watched Threads link, then find the title of this thread in your list.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  15. bkwrm752003

bkwrm752003 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 26, 2006
    Thanks!

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    That was not very nice to trick me into thinking Mara lived lived and was Granny Jade with Luke there in the end. o_O But I love seeing Luke so happy with his grandchildren and having matching beards with Bennie. [face_love]