main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Skywalker: A Family at War, A new Star Wars biography - May 4 2021

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DLCV, Jan 21, 2021.

1. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    To be a Skywalker is to be embroiled in conflict.

For three generations, members of the Skywalker family — whether born into the name or chosen to carry the legacy — struggled to balance their own emotions and the external strife in the galaxy far, far away. In the new book, Skywalker: A Family at War, author Kristin Baver will examine the events that unfolded in the Skywalker saga on screen as well as through books, comics, and other canonical storytelling to give a detailed account of the lives of key members of the family amid their travails and triumphs.

[​IMG]

“I’m so thrilled to be able to tell the story of the Skywalkers through the lens of a biographer,” says Baver, the associate editor of StarWars.com. “From the outset, I knew I wanted to treat the family as if they were real people, with compassion and empathy, while simultaneously crafting an unflinching portrait of their accomplishments and their failures. These characters are larger than life yet so fragile and unmistakably human, and that comes into focus when you study how their actions impact the greater galaxy and their family.”

For the author, getting the chance to document the Skywalker saga in a new light was the culmination of a nearly life-long love for the franchise. “When I first saw Star Wars as a kid, I watched the movies over and over, always looking for something I hadn’t noticed before in the storytelling,” she says. “Essentially, I wrote the book I wish I would have had during that time, when I was hungry to know everything I could learn about these characters.”

Skywalker: A Family at War, from DK Publishing, will be released on May 4, 2021.

https://www.starwars.com/news/skywalker-a-family-at-war-announce

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Sounds really good. Love the cover art.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That cover makes it look like Vader is ordering his kids into battle.

(I love it!)

BigAl6ft6, Daneira and lordpixie like this.
  4. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Whoa this looks like Ryder Windham's old biographies but better (and they were awesome to begin with).

5. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Some pages of the book
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Snippets of chapter 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  7. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So a biographic piece with a timeline. Hmmm, this might be interesting.

8. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Much more in depth than I first thought.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  9. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I really love the genealogical and biographical elements of Star Wars, so I am optimistic to see all of this.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK has a date of April 1 2021 for this.

Sith Iratus likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey folks -- when posting preview pictures (or when posting a lot of pictures in general), could we avoid filling the thread with large images people have to scroll through?

Either use a spoiler tag to hide the images, or just link to the news or publisher web site where the preview pictures have been published.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Daneira likes this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Think we'll learn more about Shmi? Maybe her parents?

Golbolco likes this.
  13. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    I wish. Personally I don’t expect a ton of new information in this; a lot of these types of reference books and biographies don’t really add new information, they just recontextualize the story we know with some biographical flavoring.

Of course, I want to be proven wrong. I’d love to know more about Shmi and/or her ancestry.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  14. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, wow, this really is written like a biography of a real historical figure. Color me intrigued!

15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I like the idea but I would strongly prefer a thing like this to be done with original and consistent artwork. The aesthetic clash between the live action and animated screengrabs, not to mention the general "well, who would have been in a position to take a picture of that?" thing, works against that in-universe history feel.

Gallandro007 and Daneira like this.
  16. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I really like Kristin Baver's energy in the This Week in Star Wars Youtube show. Interested to see how this turns out.

This does seem a little too similar in general than the The Skywalker Saga book that came out a couple of years ago. That went for a different tone than a biography, but retelling the films again just feels a little bit like dipping into the well too many times.

That said you know I'll get it.

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I like how this basically says Rey is part of the family because she's Kylo's dyad. They're related through the Force.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Bleh......

Being adopted into the Skywalker family is not an issue, but I dislike where the only relationship Rey truly had with a Skywalker, was with Leia Organa (for a year). It would have made more sense if she took that last name. It's also nice if the bloodline wasn't extinct, instead of someone joining a family that not longer exists. I also dislike the Dyad trying to further justify her being a skywalker.

19. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I quite like the idea of someone choosing what family they belong to rather than having to stick to "bloodlines". That Rey chooses to honor the family in this way and define her own destiny if one of the best parts of TRoS.

That said, I wish they embraced this idea more fully and didn't feel the need to make her biologically a Palpatine; I think tracing her abilities to another bloodline somewhat defeats the purpose, but you could also make the argument that it does (or could have, if handled better IMO) enhance it by having Rey reject her destiny in favor of a better one.

I agree, though, that more definitely could have been done to justify Rey's sentimentality to the Skywalker name considering most of the people she interacted with in the family didn't actually carry that name. I sometimes fantasize about an alternate sequel trilogy where Rey had grown up on Tatooine instead of Jakku and loved stories about "The Skywalker". The Skywalker would be a semi-mythical hero that combines the exploits of Anakin, Luke, and Leia (maybe even some early Ben stuff) into one being. The rest of the story could play out more or less as in the films (and she learns these were separate people), but this would better set up her near reverence of the Skywalker name and her pilgrimage to the ol' homestead.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  20. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  21. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    This sounds like a coffee table big book for people who forgot what the movies were about.

This screams a lack of imagination by the creative teams, and a greedy money grab by the publisher.

pass.

22. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I have to agree, sadly. My biggest gripe is that it doesn't contain even a hint of original art anywhere (not including the admittedly good front cover). It just seems to be made up of stills from the films and TV shows. I've always found reference books that merely rely on stills from the films and nothing else to be cheap and tacky.

darthzac14 likes this.
  23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    This is the book grandma buys for grandson cause mom says "get him something star wars".

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hah!

25. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There is something to be said about a familiar story told from a different point of view. Framing the story as an in-universe biography of three generations of Skywalkers, with the benefit of the entire completed saga to draw from? Feel free to sniff at it if you want but I'm quite interested in this one.