main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Sleeping And Dreaming (AU)---Han In Carbonite--update 8/28, "Ending and Beginning"--Finished!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by leiamoody, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    This Must Be The Place

Dream World: Aeithera

??and over there is Brinke Chimuth?s Kahveon, the best place to get breakfast in Krisoti.? Nalieza pointed across the street to a darkened shop with small café tables set out on the sidewalk. ?A half-liter of Jimica Green Mountain kahve and six reignets for four credits. The cheapest early morning meal in the city...especially if you happen to be a student.?

This time, they were breaking the usual routine of walking around in a reconstructed memory from Han?s past. When she had met up with him earlier on the Falcon, he brought up the idea of doing something different. He wanted to see one of her memories. Certainly an unexpected request, but it didn?t take long to think of a place to show him. She suggested showing him around the capital, especially at night, which was her favorite time to haunt the city streets with her friends. He took well to the idea, so it was off into her mind for a change.

?But you aren?t going to see outrageous acts of random drunken stupidity. We?re all pretty boring kids,? she had told him just before they arrived.

?Too bad. I should teach you all how to fly a speeder bike upside down with your eyes closed after six shots of Srigillian firewater.?

?Are you serious??

?Ask me some other time about my younger days,? he replied with a grin.

After this, there was nothing else to do but enter the remembered version of the city.

They had been wandering along the center of Avenue Salamicia for a while, surrounded by the general buzzing atmosphere of the downtown area on a typical evening. Beings walked around, chattering in many languages, calling out to each other from the windows of the various student boarding establishments. Some would stop in the middle of the sidewalks to figure out where to go next. Or they might stop to argue, or simply to talk. Speeder traffic crowded the streets, sometimes making it difficult to cross at certain intersections. The kahveons, chashops, restaurants and clubs were crowded as usual.

?Lively,? Han commented, looking around.

Nalieza tucked her hands into her pockets. ?Yeah, this is pretty typical. During the semesters, anyway. It?s less chaotic when break times roll around. But it gets boring after awhile. Just running around from one bar to another, or hitting some of the clubs. And the music scene?s not so interesting right now.?

?So what do you guys do then??

?That?s where the Ilo comes in.? She pointed towards the horizon, where a small scattering of lights stood out against the darkened sky. ?The Cita dav Ilo is our answer to an island paradise. At least when we can?t get up into the mountains.? She stopped walking. ?I can show you around there if you?d like.?

Han regarded her with some suspicion. ?You?ve got something in mind.?

?Well, yeah, I was thinking of showing you something.?

?What exactly??

As he asked the question, the street scene began to shift and fade, the bright colors of the downtown night slowly bleeding away to reveal another kind of backdrop. It was turning into a park. It seemed to be small, being surrounded by shadows and deep evening. Yet it felt open. This might have been due to the presence of floating guide lights, crafted in an antique style from black metal and gold embroidered avate, casting small golden pools of light.

?I guess you remember the vision I had about your wedding.?

Han smirked. ?Why, no, I don?t know what in the hell you?re talking about.?

She laughed. ?Of course you don?t. Not at all.? Then she waved her hand around. ?Believe it or not, I?m about to show you where you?re going to get married.?

?Seriously??

?It sounds weird, doesn?t it? It didn?t hit me until I was out last night in the park. There?s this one part on the Ilo called the Pavilion Islet, because it has two pavilions set up there which get used for ceremonial occasions and for big events like weddings. We were out there last night after dinner and sat in the smaller one called the Tiara Pavilion. And the mo

2. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Aaaaawwww... I hope Han and Nalieza meet in real life one day...

3. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    ?I like being a scoundrel. Can I at least make a compromise and turn into a respectable scoundrel??

[face_laugh] LOL! I can just picture Han saying that.

Wow, this was an amazing update, and really lovely as well[face_love], I love it how Han sounded like a big brother to her, although, Luke and Nalieza, hmm[face_thinking], I can live with that, even if I don?t think that anything would actually happen on that part.

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! =D=

She smiled. ?In the aident culture, there?s a small ceremonial gesture done to mark the end of a dream journey. A paper boat is made, set down in the nearest body of water, and then set on fire. After the fire burns out, the ashes are blown away, signifying the death of the old life, and the birth of the new one.?

?But my journey?s not over yet.?

?You?ve come to the end of your personal journey. The things you needed to learn are done. You know that you aren?t alone in the universe anymore, and that there are people who care about you. Knowing that makes you another person. And you?re well on the way to becoming the guy you were always supposed to be. And now, on to the last order of business.?

And may I say that Han makes a perfectly adorable respectable scoundrel? ;)

5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    This time, they were breaking the usual routine of walking around in a reconstructed memory from Han?s past.

Ah--we're out of the "stuck" cycling where Han has a past, but no future. Nice trick with the moon rising, incidentally, since the sky wouldn't budge for 2 chapters. I guess the sun that you couldn't tell whether it was rising or setting must've been setting. The end of the old life, I'm assuming. :)

He wanted to see one of her memories.

Ooh, there's a change, too. He's come a long way from, "Better her than me." :p

Just running around from one bar to another, or hitting some of the clubs. And the music scene?s not so interesting right now.

Heh . . . you have just described my college experience . . . and that was the interesting part. :(

She laughed. ?Of course you don?t. Not at all.? Then she waved her hand around. ?Believe it or not, I?m about to show you where you?re going to get married.?

This story keeps reminding me of the Matrix :p . . . this time it was the scene where the Oracle predicts Neo is going to knock over the vase, and he does, and then she says, "What's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything."

Would Han still have gotten married there if she hadn't shown it to him?

The world . . . may never know.

Han looked around the pavilion, then leaned on the railing and looked out over the lake. ?Yeah, it?s nice. I can?t imagine why I?d wind up here out of all the places in the galaxy, but it looks good.?

LOL . . . how many guys really care about wedding planning, anyway, even if they're having a magical vision about it and could decorate the place instantly with their minds? I bet he won't care what color the flowers are, either. :p

Knowing Leia, they'll be white. ;)

Han rapped his knuckles on the railing in front of them. ?Things change, right. Which?s what I realize now. And you either have to go with the changes, or lose.?

Ah--the thing Anakin could never quite grasp. Han may be a scoundrel, but at least he's a step ahead of his future father-in-law.

I?m willing to put twenty credits down it will happen.

This cracked me up, since most people toss off "I'll bet . . ." comments like they're nothing: "I'll bet you a million dollars," etc. Only a serious gambling man would pick an amount he was really willing to lose. :p

In fact, there is one particular guy I happen to know?nice kid?knows how to blow up metal moons and thinks he?s a Jedi.

Ooh, something for Luke's resumé: "Can blow up metal moons. Also, am Jedi. Probably."

She smiled. ?In the aident culture, there?s a small ceremonial gesture done to mark the end of a dream journey. A paper boat is made, set down in the nearest body of water, and then set on fire. After the fire burns out, the ashes are blown away, signifying the death of the old life, and the birth of the new one.?

I liked this ritual, and I liked the visual description of the boat. I was initially imagining one of those notepaper boats that kids make, but the image you came up with was a lot cooler.

?I like being a scoundrel. Can I at least make a compromise and turn into a respectable scoundrel??

Classic Han. :p And I would never want him to give up being a scoundrel.

With a nod, Han blew the ashes outward. They scattered, and the copper flecks rose up towards the moon, where they briefly danced in its silvery light.

This is where I realized why you'd gone with a metallic color for the boat. Very nice visual. :cool:

6. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Beautiful chapter. :) :)

7. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005

Thanks, everyone. :D

Golden_Jedi?Your hope about Han and Nalieza meeting in real life?well, wait for the sequel. :D

Star_Angel?Han is definitely now a big brother figure to Nalieza. A member of an odd little family that she never asked for, but the Universe gave her anyway. :p

As for Luke and Nalieza?again, wait for the sequel.

VaderLVR64---Yes, Han is a good (okay, fine, adorable in his own unique way) respectable scoundrel. That?s what makes him?him.

ophelia---In terms of the ?college experience?, I?m actually glad that I seemed to be able to capture this at least semi-realistically. I never participated in the full-on university experience because I?ve never actually been to a university. The only way I?ve known about what it?s like is by a lot of reading and dating someone. :p

And to be honest, I think Han would more than likely have gotten married at the pavilion even if he hadn?t seen it first. Yet I?ll admit that I can?t say for sure that notion would have been definite. Even when I?m creating this universe, I don?t know in which direction it wants to go. Because a lot of comes from that little part of my unconscious brain which stored up these ideas over the years?and we all know that what comes out of the unconscious can be vaguely strange at times.

PonyTricks ---Yeah, it is actually a rather nice little chapter. Visually, at least.

Once again, thanks for reading. :D

8. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Ending and Beginning

Dream World: Nothi Sautn

Once again, they were sitting by the river.

Han was poised on top of a large boulder. ?You know, when I get out of here, I?m going to approach the guys in charge and tell them I?m signing on for good.?

Nalieza shook her head and laughed. ?It?s not a surprise.?

He leaned back on his elbows and set his focus upon the long line of trees on the opposite shore. ?It?s definitely a different way for me to think. Weird, you know? My life?s gone from one direction,? he extended his arm and used one finger to point to the left, ?to another one that?s put me into this whole other world. Crazy stuff.? He laughed. ?Who could have imagined it??

?It?s great, actually. You deserve it, rogue boy.?

?Hey, I?ve lost the rogue part.?

She frowned. ?That?s right, I keep forgetting. You?re the respectable scoundrel now. That means you have to be boring.?

He looked shocked. ?Absolutely not. I don?t have the genetic material to become boring.?

?But this does mean you have to become a responsible citizen. That means doing two things: paying taxes, and having lots of kids.?

He made a face. ?I think the kids thing should be left up to other people. Like you, for example.?

?What!?

?Hey, little Jedi people have to come from somewhere.? He grinned, and sat up. ?As for taxes, a truly respectable Corellian never pays them.?

They were quiet for a long time after this exchange. Unlike the previous times they had been in this setting, it appeared to be a typical spring day. The air was warm, the sky a brilliant blue, the trees were full with ripened leaves of bright green.

And these aspects caught Nalieza?s attention. The other times they had been here, it had been autumn. She hadn?t known the significance of why it was always autumn in those first encounters, until she finally discovered that it had been the fall season when he?d left home to attend the Imperial Academy. It was during the last days of the waning season when he had to return to Nothi Sautn one year later to make the final arrangements after his grandmother had died. She never told her grandson she had been suffering from Tennekot?s Syndrome, one of the few diseases left in the galaxy that was completely incurable.

After her funeral, he had walked out of the house where he?d grown up?and kept going, down a long dusty road that led out of town?until he reached a patch of woods that lay on the outskirts. It was in this spot he had decided to lock his heart away, never again to let anyone in. He would not let anyone get too close from that point forward, because they would betray him. They would leave. Just like his parents when they flew off soon after his birth. Just like his grandmother did when he was twenty, when she passed away.

Obviously, he had never told her any of this. A few of his memories slipped past the barriers he always had up and entered into her dreams within the last week. Han would never entirely reveal the most personal details about his life to anyone?except for the princess from now on. But it did finally answer the question one unanswered question from their discussion at the Tiara Pavilion. He had said the death of someone important caused him to push away any possibility of love from his life. Now, it all made sense. The one person who had been there for him?had left him alone. And never revealed that she would be going away. So he decided it was better to simply choose to be alone.

But it was a quirk of the universe that took what he had decided was best for him, and tossed it aside in favor of something better. Just like when he decided to enter the Academy and become an Imperial officer. That had been his plan for the rest of his life. But someone or something else had different plans for him. First, he was put in the path of a Wookiee who had desperately needed his help. And there were other tests that came along the way, which he failed, yet also passed to some degree. Eventually, the first half of a two-part final exam was placed before

9. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Well, that's the end of the dream journey. The life journey, on the other hand, is just beginning...as the other half of the title indicates. ;)

Which means, yes, Virginia, there will be a sequel. I'm currently working on it, and hope to have the first few chapters posted by the end of September. If you would like to be notified when it gets posted, let me know either in this thread or by PM. And when it gets started, I'll send along the link so you can start reading it. :)

Thanks again to everyone who has read and reviewed my odd little tale. It's appreciated, folks. :D

10. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

I always cry with happy endings! :_|

And yes, please, PM me when the sequel is available. Congrats for finishing this truly original story.

11. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    I both laughed and cried while I read this, I just loved it[face_love]. This has been ana amzing journey and I've loved it.

Please send me a pm when you post the sequel and thanks for the pm for this chapter[:D].

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Absolutely gorgeous ending! =D=

?It?s great, actually. You deserve it, rogue boy.?

?Hey, I?ve lost the rogue part.?

She frowned. ?That?s right, I keep forgetting. You?re the respectable scoundrel now. That means you have to be boring.?

He looked shocked. ?Absolutely not. I don?t have the genetic material to become boring.?

?But this does mean you have to become a responsible citizen. That means doing two things: paying taxes, and having lots of kids.?

He made a face. ?I think the kids thing should be left up to other people. Like you, for example.?

?What!?

?Hey, little Jedi people have to come from somewhere.? He grinned, and sat up. ?As for taxes, a truly respectable Corellian never pays them.?

This exchange was priceless! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.