main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Sleeping On Hoth - Troop Quarters and Barracks

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What was the housing situation like on Hoth base?

Mee hear that Princess Leia has quarters which sounds like they are carved in the Ice. The medical facility for Hoth where Luke is treated does not look like it’s built out of the ice. So are there areas in the base with more livable temperatures? Or is this actually on one of the rebel transports parked at the base

Back to troop quarters. Are barracks carved out of the ice or do the rebels sleep on the transport ships? Do Han and Chewbacca live on the millennium falcon?

BlackRanger likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    On Earth, buildings made of snow and ice like igloos can have "livable" temperatures especially if people wear warm clothes and use blankets. With igloos, it could be as warm as 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit inside an igloo due to human body heat, though it is more sustainable for temperatures to be 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit inside the igloo. So that would be a "livable" temperature even if not a warm temperature.

But I expect there are also parts of the base made from other materials than snow and ice. Those materials might allow warmer temperatures.

In the real world, we have bases like McMurdo Station in Antarctica that show we can build structures that aren't made from snow and ice in pretty extreme polar conditions.

I would expect that a galaxy far, far away would be even more adept at building a range of structures in a variety of climates and temperatures given how many planets are inhabited and how the technology is generally more advanced than ours.

4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    There's a map of the base in one of the Incredible Cross-Sections books. There were barracks there, but yes everything looks to be carved out of the ice.

5. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Shrewd George missed a merchandising opportunity by not out-licensing a Taun Taun shaped sleeping bag.

PrincessLeia17 and C.Roach like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    You have to provide your own guts tho.

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  8. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    At first, I thought they looked a bit like a shoddy knock-off, then I saw the cost...they gotta be official merchandise at the price methinks. After a brief moment of cynical internal mutterings about how the cooperate fat cats at Lucasfilm never miss a trick when it comes to squeezing the coin out of the fanbase I read "complete with saddle, printed internal intestines, and a plush lightsaber zipper pull ".

Now I want one.

Sarge likes this.
  9. C.Roach

C.Roach Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Excellent idea! Had the Kenner "open belly" Tauntaun as a kid. Loved it.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The inner lining is a guts pattern.