main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Sleight of Hand (L/M, H/L) **COMPLETED!** Author replies & question 9/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kayladie97, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Title: Sleight of Hand

Author: Kayladie

Timeframe: An OT AU; also could be classified as a 'what if?' story

Genre: Drama, Romance, Action

Keywords: AU, Luke, Mara

Notes: My first story here at the JC, although I've been writing for quite a while.

Summary: What if the path of the Emperor's Hand had taken an unexpected twist?

Disclaimer: All characters are the property of George Lucas and I am not making any money from this.

Chapter One

Small feet silently padded across a cold stone floor, a tattered and obviously well-loved blankie trailing in their wake. She knew she wasn?t supposed to be out of bed this late, but she had not been able to fall back asleep after waking a little while ago. Something was not right. Her child?s mind had no idea what that something was, but it gave her an uneasy feeling. And whenever she felt bad, she knew she needed to be with Momma.

She poked her head around the corner of her momma?s bedroom door and was reassured to see the blanket-covered form in the bed. She moved forward quickly and stood by the side of the bed her momma was facing. She smiled, feeling even better as she looked at Momma?s sleeping face. She was the most beautiful woman in the galaxy in her small daughter?s eyes.

?Momma?? She remembered to whisper so as not to startle her mother, like she had the last time she couldn?t sleep.

?Hmmm. Sweetie? What?s wrong? Couldn?t sleep??

Her momma smiled softly as a little head solemnly shook back and forth. She gave a small sigh and lifted the covers, inviting her darling to snuggle next to her. An impish grin lit the tiny face before she quickly scrambled up to lay curled tightly against Momma. She wriggled in contentment for a few moments before settling down and closing her eyes.

She had just begun to drift into that peaceful state right before deeper sleep when the door to Momma?s room slammed open and harsh light flooded her consciousness.

?My Lady! Troopers, at the front gate!?

Momma jerked up, instantly awake and her daughter could feel the dread and fear that emanated from her.

?What?! But how-?

?There is no time to wonder how, my Lady. We must move quickly.?

?Yes, of course, you?re right, Devin.?

Once the shock had worn off, Momma moved quickly, taking charge of the situation.

?Devin, take her to the tunnels. I?ll meet you there once I?ve sent the message.?

?But, my Lady--?

?As you pointed out, we have little time. Don?t waste it arguing with me.?

Devin moved forward and took the little girl in his arms, making sure that she had blankie with her. He turned to leave and his eyes met those of his mistress. He took comfort in the strength he saw there. They would be all right?they had to be all right. They nodded to each other and then he turned and was flying down the hallway towards the tunnels and escape. He comforted his bundle as she began to cry for her mother.

?Hush, little one, your mother will be along soon.? He briefly wondered if he was trying to convince her or himself.

She caught one last glimpse of her daughter?s eyes over Devin?s shoulder and silently sent the little girl all her love. She turned quickly towards her own task. The Jedi needed to know what had happened. Dimly, she could hear the crashing sound of glass breaking as she ran to the comm room. She knew that she was running out of time and for the first time the thought entered her mind that she might not make it through this. Her heart broke at the thought of never seeing her precious daughter again, but she gathered courage from the fact that her baby was safely away with Devin.

She had just activated the comm unit when she heard them behind her. No, she thought desperately, how had they found her so quickly? She whirled to face the demons. There were three of them standing there, pointing an impossibly huge and nasty-looking weapon at her. Such a big thing for such a small woman, she thought deris

2. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Good Start. I liked how action started immediately at the beginning.

3. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    OMG!! I thought the little girl was MARA!?? :eek: :eek:

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Yeah! You posted it.

This is a great story. :)

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I love how everyone is sure we know who the little girl is at the beginning, and then you throw in the twist!

This is a wonderful story, folks.

6. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    It has been posted!! :D

This is a fantastic story and shuld be read my many, so it shall go to the first page!

I still think it's wonderful, and I love what you've done/going to do to our favourite characters. [face_devil]

uh, you can have chapter eight back soon (I promise)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Whoa, that was quite twisted. I never thought it would be Leia. Good job. Keep going!

8. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Hey, congrats! You started posting! This is a great beginning. I love how you strung us all out throughout the post making us all think it was Mara. You devious writer, you. :)

9. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, you posted that story here!
    I absolutely love it!! :D

And for all those who don't know the first parts of this story:
    It's even gets better when Mara enters the picture!! :D

:D :D :D

10. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    [face_blush] Thanks for all the wonderful replies!

Keeper_of_Swords: Thanks, glad you like it so far! :)

GreatOne: Heh! [face_devil] That's what I wanted you to think!

RebelMom: Thanks, I'm glad you think so. :D I guess you read it where I have posted it at ff.net?

Jedi-2B: Thank you for prompting me to post it here! Yeah, I was rather proud of myself for that little curve ball! ;)

Kazzy: My wonderful beta!! I could not have gotten this far on this story without your fabulous help and advice (once we got our punctuation differences settled! :p) Now you need to start posting A Moment in Time here as well. C'mon, you know you want to!

dianethx: Thanks for reading! I hope you like the rest of it as well. :)

LadyPadme: Whoa! The author of one of my current favorite stories read my tiny effort! :eek: Yeah, it was really a test to try and write that chapter without using any names! And me, devious? I couldn't possibly hope to hold a candle to you! :p

The_Good_Twin: Hey, good to see you here! Thanks for the FB, both here and at ff.net! :D I'm glad you think it gets better...that gives me some confidence. ;)

I have 8 chapters of this written so far. No idea how long it will eventually be. I may not be able to update as regularly as I would like, but the good news is, I'm in a real writing frenzy right now, so as long as that continues, the updates should follow!

Thanks to everyone who gave a newbie a chance! :) :)

11. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Actually, I think you posted the first chapter at Mara and Luke. I could be wrong but I have been reading it at FF.net.

12. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Your writing is wonderfully descriptive, and whoa, what a twist! Nice job. :)

13. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    My wonderful beta!! I could not have gotten this far on this story without your fabulous help and advice (once we got our punctuation differences settled!:p)

Likewise, to you for AMiT :). I'm glad we did get it settled, though.

Now you need to start posting A Moment in Time here as well. C'mon, you know you want to!

Uh yes. Maybe after Christmas. I'm going away see. That's also why I'll get chapter eight back to you soon. I don't want to make you wait that long for it.

Maybe I'll post the prologue before I go away, and then make everyone wait for the next bit [face_devil]

Oh, and to all the readers out here. The story only gets better from here on in, trust me. :D

14. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I also thought it was Mara! Great way of deceiving us! Just like the Emperor, you are. :p (In ways of deception that is.)

15. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Whoa, kayladie97, tricky, you are.

I thought that was Mara and then you throw that in there.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

16. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    RebelMom: I think you posted the first chapter at Mara and Luke.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that you were a member there, too. :)

karebear214: Your writing is wonderfully descriptive, and whoa, what a twist!

[face_blush] Thanks! I hope you like the rest of the story, too! ;)

Kazzy: Maybe I'll post the prologue before I go away, and then make everyone wait for the next bit.

Trust me, folks, it will be well worth the wait! :D

The story only gets better from here on in, trust me.

Aww, [face_blush] you're so good for my ego!

Jedi_Liz: I also thought it was Mara! Great way of deceiving us! Just like the Emperor, you are.

:eek: Should I take that as a compliment? [face_laugh] Glad my plan to throw everyone for a loop succeeded! [face_devil]

J_M_Bulldog: Whoa, kayladie97, tricky, you are.

Why is everyone in my thread starting to talk like Yoda? [face_laugh]

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Here's hoping you like where I take it! :)

Okay, next post coming up in a minute!

17. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    Chapter Two

Obi-Wan Kenobi was lost in his own thoughts as he silently guided his small ship through hyperspace toward what he hoped would be a safe destination for the package he was carrying. He glanced over at that ?package? and a small smile touched his lips at the sight of Luke, sound asleep in the co-pilot?s seat. The tow-headed boy was only three standard years old and so he was able to fit curled up in the seat of the large chair. Obi-Wan reached a hand over and gently stroked the boy?s hair, sighing as he did so.

It had been a difficult decision for Padmé to separate the twins--he knew that. He felt guilty that brother and sister would have to be apart while they grew to adulthood. But he knew, in his heart, that it had been the right thing to do, simply because it was too dangerous for them to be together any longer. The older the twins got, the stronger they became in the Force. And the Jedi could not risk the two of them being found.

He remembered the conversation with Padmé with a twinge of pain.

?It has to be done, Padmé, surely you can understand this.?

?I understand nothing of what has happened in my life these last few years, Obi-Wan. They are my only comfort in an otherwise painful existence. Do not ask this of me. I cannot!?

Obi-Wan sighed and closed his eyes as he tried to think of a way to make her see. Unfortunately, he understood her pain, for he felt it as well. When he had finally realized that it was too late for Anakin, that there was no saving him, it had been like someone stabbed him in the heart with his own lightsaber. He had helped Padmé to escape, to get away from the monster her husband had become and the demon who controlled him, but now he knew that having escaped wasn?t enough. They were searching for her and searching hard if the reports were true. Had they known she was pregnant when she left? Obi-Wan prayed that they had not and still did not know.

He suddenly felt a shimmer in the Force and turned around to look at the children in surprise. Two little heads were close together, giggling over the game they played as they lay in the floor at Obi-Wan and Padmé?s feet. He watched in astonishment as Luke levitated a block towards Leia?s head. It wobbled a little and Leia?s hand rose and seemed to help him until the block nestled on the crown of her hair. They both collapsed into laughter as the block fell to the ground.

Padmé watched them as well, an unreadable expression on her face. She turned back to look at Obi-Wan at the same moment he turned his gaze towards her.

?Do you see? I
    felt that! Leia is strong in the Force, Luke stronger still. Together, the two of them are like a beacon that cannot be ignored. And it?s only going to get worse as they grow older. If Vader--?

?Do not say that name to me! I will not hear that name! I do not know Vader? he is Anakin. He has only forgotten.?

She broke off with a cry and covered her face with her hands. She lowered them as she felt two small heads touch her knees. Luke and Leia sat looking up her, each of them hugging one of her legs.

?It?ll be okay, Momma.? Leia spoke first and Luke chimed in a heartbeat later. ?Don?t cry, Momma.?

Padmé bit back a sob as she caressed each of their faces. She looked at them through her tears. So beautiful were her children, she thought to herself. And so vulnerable. She wished she could take the Force away from them, that they wouldn?t have to bear this burden. She took a deep breath and smiled to reassure them.

?Luke, Leia, why don?t you go play in your room for a bit, while Momma and Obi-Wan talk? I?ll call you for dinner when it?s time.?

They both chirped ?Yes ma?am? and after giving her kisses, raced each other to the room they shared. She listened to their peals of laughter for a moment with a pang of regret. She knew what Obi-Wan was saying was true, but she didn?t want to face it. She had noticed in the last six months little things the twins did that were proof that their Force abilities were

18. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    :mad: Darnit! Somebody tell me how to put the fact that you've updated in the title!

Edit: Duh! Never mind, I figured it out! :p

19. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Hmm. So Luke is off to Tatooine, and Leia is the going to be the Emperor's Hand... this is sounding evil! My scoundrel will be doomed for a life of loneliness and unhappiness without his soul-mate! *glares at kayladie97*

20. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Poor Luke. He has such a deep connection with his sister and for her to suddenly disappear... *sob* At least Obi only hid his thoughts and didn't destroy them.

21. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    Great post! :)

Mmh, I wonder why Obi always has to hide something from Luke!
    When somebody made me forget my twin sister, he would really regret it, if I found out the truth!
    Well, okay, I am not a Jedi! But still... :p

:D :D :D

22. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Such a sad chapter! :_|

Good explanation as to why Luke doesn't remember Leia or Padme. I wonder how close this will be to the truth in Ep. III.

23. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    That was so sad! :_|

24. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    Going through the later chapters, which are wonderful, I tend to forget how much I enjoyed these earlier ones. Now I can read them again!

Keep writing! I'll give chapter eight back tonight, and I'd love to see chapter nine when I come home! :D

25. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Great post kayladie97.

So sad. :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.