main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Sleight of Hand (L/M, H/L) **COMPLETED!** Author replies & question 9/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kayladie97, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Good_Twin

The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2003
    Poor Han, it doesn't matter which AU version of ESB it is, he always ends in carbonite! :p [face_devil] :D

But I really hope that there won't be an ''I love you.'-'I know.''- scence this time! ;)

Great post again!

:D :D :D

2. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great twists, with Mara on Bespin instead of Leia. Lando hasn't changed a bit, tho. Guess it's time for Luke to show up.

3. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
  4. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    My favorite part:
    When he reached his quarters, he was immensely pleased to discover a message awaiting him from a certain bounty hunter. Typical of Boba Fett, the message was terse and brief, as well as being a little vague. Behind his mask, Vader was tempted to roll his eyes at Fett?s sense of drama.

The message simply said, ?Vader, ever been to a Tibanna gas mine??

5. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hehehe, Leia's dress from ESB, but in green. .. nice touch. ..

I wonder when the will figure out that Mara is force sensitive. . .

6. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
  7. JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA

JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2003
    UP, UP, UP, UP and UP!

8. GrandAdmiralKyrrona

GrandAdmiralKyrrona Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2003
    J_M_MARIANNA: I don't know why, but that sig strikes me as hilarious... *shrugs8
    MORE!

9. JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA

JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2003
    GrandAdmiralKyrrona: Those are just the quotes that I remember from the movies. ?[face_plain]

10. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
  11. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    merkuria: I hope he'll make sense of the first part of the dream before long!

It might be a little while before he can make sense of it, but it will happen, that I can promise you. ;)

Still wondering about Leia, though, and about how her and Han will meet again.

Leia and Han will meet again, but it'll probably be a couple of chapters before it happens. :)

RebelMom: Hope Luke figures out about the children soon.

See above answer! ;)

JEDI_MASTER_MARIANA: It is a great story, isn't?! But not as good as this one!

Well, I wouldn't say that, but it is a different kind of story than mine. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, really. (But thank you for the compliment! :D )

GrandAdmiralKyrrona: but will the jacket make me look sexy?

I don't know, how sexy do you think you'd look giving yourself a big hug? [face_laugh] :p

LaYa: Really Good... the dream, oh.. everything!! Excelent

[face_blush] Thanks for all your kind words.

GreatOne: Luke is dreaming about Han being DEAD!????

*borrows some dynamite from RogueSticks, just in case...*

[face_laugh] I knew that bit would get to you! Just remember, "always in motion, is the future." ;)

Ummm, what exactly were you planning with the dynamite? [face_worried] You realize that I need to be functioning to get Han out of the mess I've gotten him into, right?

Jaina_and_Jag: Mara should have listened to her gut instinct! Now look what happened... exacley what happened in ESB!

Well, it wouldn't be much fun if they got away TOO easily, would it? :D

I'm beginning to wonder how you're going to do that little scene where he gets frozen.

Next chapter. :D

Kazzy: Mara, my dear, you are a Jedi - or you will be - just like Luke.

Ah, but remember, this is not canon Mara. Neither she nor Luke has any idea that she's Force-sensitive...yet. ;)

I still think however he should be more interested in the crying woman.

Upon your advice, I added a little about that into chapter 10 (which is coming to you sometime before the next millennium, I swear!) Not a lot, as I still think Luke would be more concerned about his visions of the most important people in his life in danger, but it's there! :)

GuerreStellari: I especially liked the Chewie-talk. Finally, we get to know what he's saying. And he has a dry wit, who knew?

I somehow picture Chewie as long-suffering and fondly tolerant at times of Han! ;)

JediNemesis: This is one hell of a story and I love it to bits. Luke is very well done and Han is, dare I say it, perfect.

[face_blush] I'm flattered as I believe your story is one of the best I have EVER read, profic and fanfic included. And I always worry about my characterization, so I'm glad it seems to be working.

The_Good_Twin: But I really hope that there won't be an ''I love you.'-'I know.''- scence this time!

Nope, I can promise there won't be! :p

Jedi-2B: Guess it's time for Luke to show up.

Very soon! :D

LumiKuningatar: I'm glad you liked that part...I wasn't sure about Fett, but I think he came off pretty well. :)

maramijade: Leia's dress from ESB, but in green... nice touch...

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that! :D

New chapter tomorrow! GreatOne, you might want to brace yourself! Han has a meeting with the carbonite chamber. [face_devil]

12. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    Okay, I just found this story this morning, and it is great. It's a lot of fun to see what Mara would be like if she hadn't been so damaged by the Emperor. But for every Yin there is a Yang, and Leia's bearing the brunt of it as the Emperor's Hand. Where is she?! Please don't forget about her.

Im relatively new on these boards. What does it mean when someone responds to a story by saying, "Up?"

Brilliant lines, by the way:

?The day this Corellian needs to be checked out just ?cause of a little dip in the temp is the day this Corellian kisses Palpy?s wrinkled, white ass.? ROFLMAO! That is absolutely hilarious, but at the same time, EWWWW!

??I thought you said you were playing for high stakes!? Way to go, Mara!

?Well, yeah, but that?s only because the walking corpse doesn?t know about it, does he? What are you gonna do if he ever finds out?? "Walking corpse." Hmmm...somebody's seen Ladyhawke, I think. But it IS the perfect way to describe "Palpy's wrinkled, white ass."

13. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    Jedi_keladry: Welcome to the story! :D Always glad to get new readers! I'm glad you liked those lines...they were some of my favorites too. ;)

Hmmm...somebody's seen Ladyhawke, I think.

Was that in Ladyhawke? ?[face_plain] I must have remembered it subconsciously because I LOVE that movie, especially the part where Isabeau and Rutger Hauer (brain fart on the character's name!) see each other for that one brief moment for the first time in years. :_| :_|

"UP" confused me for a long time, too. Basically, it's just a way to move a story back up to the front page and encourage the author to post again. :) Now, if I can only figure out why so many people spell "the" as "teh" I'll be happy! [face_laugh]

New chapter in a moment....

14. kayladie97

Jun 6, 2003
    Chapter Nine

?Yes, calm, you must be and flow through you, the Force will.?

Yoda?s voice was soothing, though barely audible to his young apprentice. Luke was upside down, balancing on his hands, and the diminutive Jedi Master was perched on Luke?s upturned feet. A nearby rock began to float slowly into the air as Luke immersed himself in the Force. The rock was soon joined by two more.

?Yes! Yes. Much progress, you have made. Maybe next time, lift your own ship, you should, hmm?? Yoda said with a little cackling laugh, referring to the events of the previous day.

A ghost of a smile crossed Luke?s lips--even as his eyes remained closed in concentration--at the subtle reminder that, as far as he had come, he still had far to go. Personally, Luke considered the fact that he didn?t get angry at Yoda?s little jab great progress. Carefully, Luke lifted one hand off the swampy ground so that he was balancing his and Yoda?s weight solely with the remaining hand.

?Yes. Yes. Good,? Yoda encouraged him.

It was one of the rare, but increasing, occasions where Luke truly felt that he was feeling the Force. His very spirit seemed to be completely in tune with his surroundings and he breathed in deeply as a sense of utter serenity flowed through him. He marveled at the connection he could sense to all the living beings around him?the trees, the birds, the creatures in the swamp, his Master?even the insect that crawled slowly across his balancing hand. Rather than be startled, he felt a kinship with the little bug.

The sharp stab of excruciating pain was what startled him. He gasped and, for a moment, thought he had somehow injured himself as his balance began to waver. On his feet, Yoda gave a little yelp. The wave of agony rippled through him again and he cried out. Then he understood. The pain was coming to him through the Force and he could sense Han. And Mara!

?Mara! Han!? he shouted and there was no hope of maintaining his balance now. Yoda gave a frightful shriek as the two of them went tumbling to the ground. Luke landed hard, his breath leaving his body in a whoosh. When he sat up, he noticed Yoda had somehow managed to land on his feet and he was giving his Apprentice a knowing gaze.

?I?m sorry, Master, I--?

?Sensed your friends, did you??

?Yes. I saw?a city in the clouds,? Luke said and he shivered as he hung his head. ?Mara and Han were there and they were in pain.?

Yoda sighed as he sat down in front of Luke. ?Let this interfere in your training, you must not.?

Luke glanced up at his Master sharply. ?I have to go to them. I have to help them.?

?No! Leave before the training is complete, you cannot! Vulnerable, you are, right now.?

?I feel the Force, Master!? Luke protested.

?But you cannot control it, Luke,? a voice said from behind him.

Luke looked around at the spectral figure of Ben Kenobi sitting on a log behind him. Ben?s shimmering form stood and moved to stand beside Yoda.

?This is a dangerous time for you, Luke. Now is when you will be most susceptible to the temptations of the Dark Side.?

?I won?t turn to the Dark Side, Ben. I swear. I can?t let anything happen to Han and Mara. They?re?they?re everything to me!?

?That is what Vader and the Emperor are counting on, Luke. They are intentionally trying to draw you out. It is you and your abilities that the Emperor wants.?

?So I?m supposed to sit back and do nothing? Sacrifice Han and Mara?? Luke asked incredulously.

?If you honor what they fight for?yes!? Yoda stated imperiously.

?You?re not ?doing nothing?, Luke. You are taking the necessary steps to prepare yourself for what is going to be a monumental task. You must understand how important this is. You may be the only hope for the galaxy,? Ben said urgently.

Luke closed his eyes and dropped his head at Ben?s words, as though denying them to himself. He could not do this! He was just a farmboy from a desert planet in the outer rim. They expected too much from him. And then there

15. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    DRL can be a pain, can't it? don't worry, I can wait. I do the same thing. ;)

Nice chapter.

16. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D It always makes me giggle when Luke falls with Yoda on his foot. :p You made me cry!!! :eek: Although, I always cry when Han is put in carbonite, even though I know he lives on. [face_blush] Don't worry about infrequent updates, I'll be here til the end! :D

17. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    :_| :_| :_| My pooooor Han!! Always ends up in carbonite!! :_| :_|

18. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    niiiiiiiiiice change in p.o.v.

excellent.I reread some of this on Ff.net..:)

I like how you changed the whole H/L "I love you, I know" scene..veeeeeerrrry interesting..

19. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Hi, kayladie,

Wonderful chapters. I love the way the story is progressing. I thought Luke's nightmare was very well-written, and I can't wait for him to learn the truth.

Poor Han and Mara and Chewie. You know, I hardly ever watch ESB. It's well-made movie, and an integral part of the saga, but I just hate watching my heroes suffer. I'm ridiculously soft-hearted, I suppose. And now I'm having to relive it here. :( It's just as heartbreaking and nerve-wracking. And that's meant as a compliment! You tie in the original plot very well with slightly different twist on it all.

BTW, I loved the way you described Vader's feelings about his son's Force presence, how he'd grown accustomed to it and felt abandoned without it.

I understand completely about RL taking up time, I'll still be reading, and I'm hoping you like happy endings.

Looking forward to more.

Kristeh

20. merkuria

merkuria Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2004
    New Chapter! ::jumps up and down excitedly::

I liked the way you wrote the carbonite scene - different to the Han / Leia good bye but equally moving.

Interesting how Yoda and Obi-Wan don't quite agree on the issue of Luke's 'mind-wipe' regarding his sister. I wonder if this will come back to bite them...

Lovely chapter - really enjoyed reading! :)

21. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Hooked Reader! but you knew that ;) :p :D

Poor Leia, she got such a rough deal going for her. Yoda and Obi-Wan seem to believe she is dead. Her father isn't aware she's his daughter, just sees her as a rival. Her twin brother doesn't remember she ever existed. Very harsh. All in all it's probably best right now that she doesn't realise this. Although, I am looking foward to when everyone finds it out.

At the beginning of the scene after the "lunch" the imagery of Mara in the cell is beautiful. It is so easy to see her standing there. A lovely piece of work.

I've said it before (at least I hope I have) I love the way you weave the original version into your own. It is so soomthly done and so originally. I love it. It's excellent not a missed stitch or repetitive scene. Arg! We could all wish to be so good.

Such a wonderful chapter. So sad.

I'll be interested to see the seen with the woman from Luke's dream. You know I will :D I'll be interested to see the whole chapter (no that isn't a push, just the truth - every chapter is interesting).

And all readers have my faithful promise that I will return the chapter as soon as humanly possible. (She doesn't make a whole tonne of mistakes so it's an easy job :))

Phew!

22. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Now that I'm done crying... How can Leia and Han fall in love if she is the Emperor's Hand, and Han is FROZEN? *sobs some more*

23. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hmmmmm, I have this odd feeling that Luke is more firm in his training than what he was in the OT. ..

maybe it's just wishfull thinking, but I think Mara's got him grounded. . .

24. Mattlover

Mattlover Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2004
    HOW DID I MISS THIS! Great post BTW.

POST SOON!

25. LaYa_

LaYa_ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 21, 2003
    Lovely chapter ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.