main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Bayonetta 1 and 2

Chewgumma likes this.
  2. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Okami HD if you've never played it on another console.

Life likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’ll take Things I Would Do At Work for $200, Alex.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Bought “the kids” a Switch for this Xmas. Now I have to will myself not to “test it out” till 12/25.

Xenoblade 2 will be bought me thinks.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just as a general tip: If you're planning on giving them a system on the 25th, you might want to consider booting it up prior to xmas and getting any system updates downloaded/installed for them and then putting it back in the box to wrap. This way you avoid any potential server/setup issues resulting from everyone trying to launch their system the same day.

Life likes this.
  6. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    That’s good advice.

So do any of y’all play the system with the bought separate normal controller? Do you miss out on the Nintendoness doing so?

7. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Got Bayo 1/2 on black friday, and from eshop might gunvolt burst and Azure Striker Dual pack.

So much goodness its gotten me to put D2 down for a week so far.

Havent tried any of the additional controllers (probably should have for bayo), but putting the joycons into the slotted grip controller plastic piece has worked fine so far.

Reaaaaally missed Bayo, Microsoft/sony were fools to let this gem slip away.

Edit: Dont try to grammar late at night when tired.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    So I've got my switch with Zelda.

More games will be forthcoming.

The joycons are so small though, even when it's in the dock that makes it a little more like a ps paddle.

Any recommendations on what I can do to make them larger? It's rather cramping otherwise.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds like you'd want to invest in a pro controller or seek out a third party joycon alternative (if they exist).

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    But the Pro is expensive :(

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I ll be getting one but they are a few $ more then what ya pay for the 2 other consoles. I’ve tried to hold those plastic grips on displays and it just feels wonky.

I just hope I won’t lose out on the Nintendoness playing with one.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just found a 3rd party pro that's the same dimensions and shape as the GameCube controller.

I'll be getting that next pay day. That was a perfect fit for me.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think that'll be a problem. The Wii U's Pro Controller is, IMO, the best controller ever made and I never felt like any of Nintendo's titles felt "less Nintendo" as a result (it was basically the GamePad minus the screen, though). I know the Switch is a little different of a situation with it's Pro Controller being a different design and the JoyCons being rather specific but not radically so.

Only thing I can think of where it might make a difference is the HD rumble in the Joy Cons, but I haven't yet had a chance to check to see how that feature translates to the Pro.

14. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ok I bought a 128gb SIM card. How do these games actually work? If you own the physical does it use that minus any updates or does it still download onto the HD like PS4?

I probably won’t buy them any games because I have no clue what they want anyway but I don’t want to ask them and clue them in on I got them a console. I ll buy them some cards so they can get what they want that morning online.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ooooh I have a Switch now (as of end of September) so now I can participate itt as well! Sadly, I'm not on it. Currently plowing through RDR2 on my PS4

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not speaking from first hand experience (yet) but I believe it depends on the game. I think all the physical games require the cart but several have additional downloads for games that are too large to fit on a single cart.

Chewgumma and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Any game that requires an additional download is clearly labelled with a large, white banner on the front of the box art.

[​IMG]

As for general updates, they aren't installed to the game cartridge. However, updates will always prioritise using the internal storage, rather than the micro sd.

18. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Amazon has brought back, in limited forms, preorder discounts. Currently bayonetta 3 preorder is $10 off and i just saw Tales of vesperia is coming to Switch, its 8 dollars off the preorder.

With all the major JRPGs seemingly coming to switch a little after PS4 (or in the case of remasters same day), Im finding it hard to justify buying anything for it, sans H:ZD. Switch is basically my second console now instead of my PS4 when i want single player games.

Preordered Tales of V. Always heard good things but never picked it up. Frankly if i had thought Ff10/12 remasters had a chance of being on anything non Playstation i would have waited to get them as well on Switch.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The Pro controller is weirdly expensive, considering it doesn't even have analogue triggers. :confused: The DualShock4 has that and a touchpad on the front and is still £10 cheaper. Is the NFC reader that expensive? [face_plain]

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I thought that had no set release date still?

21. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    It doesnt, but you can still get 10 off. I thought they were aiming for march 2019 though? Cant remeber last time there was even talk about it.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Wait how does a controller NOT have triggers now days?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  23. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It has triggers, but they're not analogue i.e. pressure sensitive. They're just ordinary buttons.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Although the Gamecube controllers you can use for Smash Bros are pressure sensitive (though not sure if Smash Ultimate will utilize that capability?).

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Same here. I mostly use the gamepad when it is required like "Super Mario World" for Captain Toad and the courses that require a touch screen and "Arkham City". Otherwise, I use either the pro controller or the Wiimote when playing other games. Using a Switch pro controller as your main controller doesn't take away the Nintendoness of the games. Especially if you buy games that still require the Joy Con.