main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm. I could see without the dock, maybe- sort of like the old Control Sets, in a way. Of course, you have Pachter making the dumbest predictions possible saying there'll be one without removable joycons, etc. You know- a Switch that can't switch. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Life likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That also falls in line with the Mini speculation I've heard. The mini would be the equivalent of the original 2DS and the regular Switch or a possible Switch Pro would be for the older crowd like the 3DS.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Happy to report that all that bitching I’ve done about the joycons being to flimsy, small ,awkward was for nothing now that I’m into my very 1st Switch game Xenoblade 2. So fluid and light and tight compared to Wii. I’m so pleasantly surprised that I may not even bother to get a Pro controller.

The2ndQuest and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I gotta get back to Zelda

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I put off buying a Pro Controller to get a second set of JoyCons (Splatoon colors) and a carrying case. Figure I'd have more a use for that in the immediate future (sidenote- it's pretty awesome that you can do more than 4 players in Smash with just JoyCons and don't require the GCN adapter to add the other 4; though depending on the TV you might need to adjust your TV output settings off of Auto to avoid losing video. Not sure if they're directly related but it seems like they might be somehow).

That said, I learned the hard way while doing a Zelda II test stream that the Joycon Dd-pad in the grip configuration makes it very easy for my thumb to hit down and left when I'm trying to hit down and right [or vice versa] (I was wondering why I kept getting hit by Iron Knuckles every time I tried to go for a ducking attack- hutting that other button was basically turning my back to the enemy for a split second).

Now that I'm aware of it, though, I can reposition my thumb when needed. Still, something I didn't catch from my natural grip (and I don't have oversized hands or anything, so it's not like it's an OG XB controller type situation).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Got a chance to play this at the Unity Developer Day event today- definitely going to add this to my wish list. Really fun local multiplayer. Arena shooter with a story mode that kinda looks like it's set in a Pikmin game (actually what caught my eye initially as I was passing by) and a death match multiplayer mode that reminds me of the Monkey Fight mode in Super Monkey Ball.

Didn't play the single player much (watched others play, though) but the multiplayer sold me (well, I didn't buy it on my Switch on the spot like my one friend did but I'll be getting to it).

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was super happy at that surprise. I love how the art style is kinda like the old "model" pack-in map from LOZ.

Daemon x Machina demo out today. Mario Maker 2 (w/slopes and 3D world-style theme), Astral Chain, an FETH "Warfare" SE. I'm happy!

9. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Does Switch not do Netflix?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was a rumor back in Nov that it might, but not no, not currently. They have Hulu, though.

11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Grr. The Switch is getting some love from me right now while playing this gem but it could get even more if it would. The thing might stay on 70% of the day currently instead of 40%.

Corellian_Outrider and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Pokemon dedicated Nintendo Direct tommorrow.

*Plz be Gen 8. My body is ready.*

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's about 7 min long they say. There's supposed to be a series of events at the Nintendo Store with the Treehouse in the coming days/weeks so I suspect we'll get initial information on Gen 8, some kind of Detective Pikachu tie-in, and information on those events with a "check out our live streams from those events for more info!".

Also, new Detective Pikachu trailer:

14. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Im honestly not sure there is any scenario or story where Ryan Reynolds as a pokemon is not a massive disconnect of brain function.

Or any good.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I wonder why it is 7 min long, unless they are doing a rapid fire approach of news or just highlight the anniversary of series.
    Detective Pikachu film... it could be fun… definitely has me curious as to how it turns out.

Speaking of the Nintendo Store, they are opening a new one in Tokyo around August. Hopefully that is a sign for more stores planned for the rest of the world.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I didn't expect a Pokemon Direct, especially so soon after the last one. But then Pokemon is big enough to deserve its own. If I had to guess, they'll start introducing gen 8 information, maybe something like teasing the outlines of the new starters, then release more information as we get closer to E3. Maybe a steady build-up of hype for gen 8 (on the Switch) to a big announcement in June?

17. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Both previous generation starting announcements were roughly the same amount of time, with the XY one showing the starters, legendaries, and some of the world and battles. The SunMoon one only showed the starters. But both of them had history of the main series segments within them to build hype before the drop - something which I hope they drop this time.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Never mind, the big reveal was today. So its Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. And at least its not another fire monkey this time.

Looks like a continuation of the Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee graphics style, and it looks pretty nice. And late 2019 worldwide release of course. This will probably be this year's big holiday Switch seller.

I'm still not sure about the starters, but I'll probably have more of an opinion whenever they release their evolved forms. I don't think we saw the version legendaries yet (Aegislash jokes aside). And I've got to go make sure my Pokemon bank sub is still going, I expect they'll announce cross-gen transfer eventually (they had better).

Anyway, yay, here's to the beginning of the eighth generation, here's hoping its another great one. Though its going to be hard to top Team Skull's theme music.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  19. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    It's a nice looking region for the games, but the battles still don't have that dynamic feel I'd expect from a console game. The GCN games managed battles a whole lot better, and they were more than ten years ago. It's not going to affect my enjoyment of the games as the region looks great to explore.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope- grass monkey this time! ;)

I always kinda hope for playing one of these games with a non-fire starter one day but they always make the fire starter the coolest one so that never happens.

I dub these Munkeyw/3Grasses, SpicyMax & Water-Snot.

21. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    For some fun shiggles: https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/...of-pokemon-for-you-to-be-upset-about-old-man/

First time in a few PKMN generations that i didnt just know what starter to choose. Torn between fire and water mons. Lot of speculation on secondary typesets on most of my gaming sites and circles.

Kind of hoping they buck the trend and keep the starters pure single types, since almost nothing ever is anymore.

So far the only disappointment i can see is random encounters are here for the mainline series still. I tried the Lets Go demo and i think i prefer pkmn spawns on overworld to the series staple of random encounters.

Now to just wait for amazon to have a double collectors edition so i can preorder them.

And i guess dig out my 3DS and resub to pkmn bank.

Edit: Im loving the region setting and steam vibes. Noticed a few frames of “nazca” lines like in England. Wife might finally want to play again if the story has any of that involved, shes an ancient civilization junkie.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Would have been nice if the starters weren't fire/water/grass types though. Set a region apart by starting with different types.

23. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Ok so my power is out while they reinstall a new transformer for our 4 house block. Soooo a question(that I’m sure google would be more then able to answer but y’all know what? I say **** on them. It makes people to lazy):if I’m playing handheld does it suck up more juice if I’m also going handheld with cons rather then going full Game Boy style or is it the same drain?

24. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    Ive found that its about the same from my times playing at work (joycons under desk lol) vs playing in full handheld at home.

JEDI-SOLO likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you're in handheld "Game Boy" mode, the controllers are being charged by the system even if the system isn't docked or plugged into a power source. So you will get a longer charge out of the system if you detach the JoyCons- but I'm not sure to what degree. The system averages 6 hours I think and the JoyCons average 20 on a full charge. I don't think it's significant enough of a drain to really matter but if you're playing a power-hungry game, then it might make a difference on a long play.

Nobody145, Life and JEDI-SOLO like this.