main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's like with any gaming "gimmick" tech- 3D, VR, touch, motion, voice, etc- it's all about how you use them. You could use 3D to solve certain genre problems or simply be more immersive or it might just be tacked on "because".

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think I'd buy the Switch for the games, not really for the concept. I get why Nintendo would focus on the mobility, but that particular feature isn't a big selling point for me.

dolphin likes this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

But that is probably why the Switch works; it speaks to mobile and home gamers simultaneously. Much like yourself, you may not the biggest fan of mobility BUT the Switch is still for you because it will operate like any home console. You're not losing anything at all in never using it as a mobile device. I assume the same can be said for a gamer who likes their gaming on the road for whatever reason.

JediMatteus, Life and Penguinator like this.
  4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, it makes sense from Nintendo's standpoint - mobile and console gaming is unified as one entity now, so they're no longer splitting resources along those lines.

As far "gimmicks" go, this is Nintendo focusing on a bigger concept - mobility - than one aspect of play.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, I understand Togruta's point, though in a different context. I don't travel long distance anymore, so something like the Switch as a mobile device would be a bit pointless. Course, I still have a DS Lite and the Gameboy, but that was more about having the games for those systems, than playing on the road. But then as Penguinator pointed out, since the technology's caught up to each other, having the same version of a game on one device that can be used as both a console and a mobile game is a huge plus. Take "Transformers: War For Cybertron" for the Wii and the DS. Both following a similar concept, but were executed differently. Compare that to "The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker" on the GameCube and "The Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords" on the Gameboy Advance, which were two completely different games released months apart.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    i wouldn't say having one version of a game instead of two versions is necessarily a plus. It's a good thing when you have a title that is meant to be multiplatform and you don't want to scale back to an inferior version. But, when you have two distinctly different versions customized for different platforms (a 2D Zelda for a portable vs a 3D Zelda on a console, for instance- or jumping way back to the different Jurassic Park games on SNES/GEN), it can sometimes be a great thing to have more gameplay/genre variety for a property.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm reminded of Splinter Cell: Double Agent, where the PS2/Xbox/GC/Wii version was a different game altogether from the Xbox 360/PC/PS3 version. They had the same basic plot, but the storylines and plot twists were different, and they featured different play styles.

Ubisoft did this again in 2010 with Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, which had as many as four different versions, each having completely unrelated stories from each other.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, and those examples are six+ years old and coming from the second largest developer in the world. :p

I don't necessarily disagree that different releases for different platforms can result in different, equally valid experiences but it's hard to imagine a context wherein it makes sense for Nintendo to keep their resources divvied up. Absent any development considerations it's resulting in anemic launch cycles and most of the third party devs they do have on board are opting for the one platform that has more sales than releasing games for both. Yeah, hypothetically we're losing out on the (superior, IMO) divide between, say, 3D Zeldas and 2D Zeldas, but hypothetically the Wii U shouldn't have been a colossal flop. And yet.

Life likes this.
  9. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I was just offering an anecdote, not making any value judgement. In the end, Nintendo does whatever they think they have to.

As a side note to my anecdote, I would have preferred if those parallel releases had different titles, rather than the same. In the case of POP, it didn't matter in the end as that universe was abandoned. But Double Agent received a sequel in Conviction, and one of the versions of events leading up to it ended up not being the canonical one, which I suppose can be slightly annoying to those who played the "wrong" version.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd agree that different titles would have been appropriate- or an extra subtitle (something like "Transforners: Reign of Megatron: Axel Edition").

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    To clarify, the issue is not so much the naming as it is the fact that two parallel stories are told in two versions of the game, with the implication that only one of them is canonical and the other ones never happened. It's not a crisis, as in the event of a sequel, one can just read up on (or watch on YouTube) the story from the "correct" version and get up to speed. But inventing separate original stories for each platform (the way the Zelda series does) would be preferable to the practice of telling similar parallel stories across separate platforms that all supposedly take place in the same time frame, but then only one version of events turns out to be true when the sequel comes along (the way Double Agent did it). All the versions having the same name is just a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, telling one version of a story is best unless you're just simplifying it for a genre. I would rather have different stories though.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Just an intro to the project- sadly, no concept art yet, but the stuff in the background is neat. Says more teases and previews will be to come.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

First part of the segment shows off Super Mario Run before debuting the Switch (and, in particular, debuting the Switch version of Zelda). It's pretty funny how Fallon was geeking out over all the game details before Reggie could even pitch the features.

And then there was also this:

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First concept art tease for the Super Nintendo World in Universal Japan:

[​IMG]

Some other info (most notably that there will properties other than Mario represented) also found here: http://www.usj.co.jp/company/company_e/2016/1212.html

This probably also gives us a glimpse of what to expect in Orlando eventually (though probably on a larger scale, presumably).

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    An interesting bit of contradiction. Various websites are reporting that the Switch will use Maxwell technology and not Pascal. But Nvidia claims it will, though they don't specifically name check Pascal.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Corellian_Outrider and Life like this.
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    We have a little over 16 hours till Switchmas (, as everyone seems to be calling it). Also seems to be a lot of rumours and speculations about.

We know they will probably showcase some of the launch lineup. I am hopeful we learn something about the Virtual Console and eShop. I also hope that down the track we'll get some Star Wars presence on the system too (even if it is past VC titles including N64 titles and onward) but not expecting that to happen this presentation.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    11 PM EST is the start time, IIRC. Should be interesting to see what this "Switch Palace"will be built upon. ;)

20. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Arbitrary limitations that make no sense. That's my prediction.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is the stream video counting down to the presentation:

Also there'll be a Treehouse Live streaming tomorrow morning at 9:30am EST (I'll be at work- drat!).

Sadly, I realize that pre-orders for this system are probbaly imminent and there's no way I'll have the money to do so this month, though I suppose I could try my luck at Amazon since I'm assuming they won't charge a pre-order up front until it ships but, still, that means it probably wouldn't arrive on launch day...

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Pre-orders has been open over here since before we got the name of the system :p I've got mine locked in after I saw what happened with the NES Mini.

I'll be curious to see what they be showcasing at the Treehouse live stream though it'll be too early for me to watch it live. Whether it be going through all the features or some of the launch lineup.

23. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    One more hour hype

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Just have to work out which feed to watch. The normal one with subtitles or the dubbed over one.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    NO REGION LOCK!!!

[​IMG]