main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    lol that intro

Ramza likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't care how silly the intro is! MORE FIRE EMBLEM FOR MEEEEE

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    HOLY HELL

Edit: I’m just so excited by the potential precedent for older Nintendo games to get new translations. Like, what if they translate Genealogy?!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Woah. That’s really cool. I’m not sure if I’d have time to ever play it but-

(reveals anniversary edition)

DAMMIT. Now I have to buy it. A replica NES cart for a game that was only ever released as a Famicom cart? Yes please.

EDIT 2- Dammit, they apparently sold out in less than two minutes! :mad::mad::mad:

EDIT- Single JoyCons are being reduced in price by $10, so buying two singles will now be the same price as buying a pair set.

Also, Sweet Christmas!

If that thing came in MP2 Gravity Suit colors, I'd be seriously tempted to drop the cash on the light-up version, even if it is way too expensive.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Corellian_Outrider and solojones like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    solojones and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cute little TV spot, we've all had those mornings:

EDIT- Fun coincidence that they posted this about a week after I learned the Japanese words for "cold" and "snow"... I was not expecting to understand the majority of dialogue in this commercial going in.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After being the top-selling console in November 2020, the Switch has now been the top-selling console for a (new) record-setting 24 months straight. The last non-Switch system to hold that record was the XB30 at 21 months (Aug 2011- Apr 2013).

The system sits at 6.92m units sold in 2020 so far, which is almost half a million more than the total for all of 2019.

solojones likes this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    More SNES (and one NES) games coming on the 18th, including DKC3.

Its always nice having all the DKC games together in one place. I like DKC2 more but DKC3 was very good too. And they posted the bonus code for DKC3 too already.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Now if only they would port Snoopy Olympics.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's an interesting selection. I probably played DKC3 for a bit at somepoint, and I definitely remember Tuff E Nuff being a game that existed, but I haven't heard of the others.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Now I'm not saying Tuff E Nuff is just the pale, pathetic substitute for Street Fighter II but also that's like 100% what Tuff E Nuff is doing in there.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, without a doubt. I mean, I think they flat-out stole the same "YOU WIN" sprites...

EDIT- Incoming Indie World Showcase today at noon EST:

EDIT 2- And there's a Classified Information video for three of those SNES games:

Which actually reminds me- has anyone tried the multiplayer online with any of the NES or SNES games? I can see how turn-based or competitive could play, but I'd be particularly curious how any co-op has gone (if that's even an option because I haven't even checked to see if the feature is limited to certain games or not).

EDIT 3- Some neat looking little titles in that showcase. Among Us launching later today is obviously the big announcement, but Cyber Shadow looks like an awesome NES Ninja Gaiden-inspired title (with Shovel Knight amiibo support!). Trash Sailors looks like it could be really fun but they only included it in the highlight reel at the end so I'd have to see more first. And Happy Game looks like it could be gloriously nightmarish.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.
  13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I never really got into DKC3. I loved the first 2 Donkey Kong Country games. Supper Turrican is a good one. Is that on Switch?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That was a Factor 5 game, which probably explains why it was fun. Famous for having to cut a level after the memory module in the cart was reduced. It is not on the Switch, but was released on the Wii VC. Which basically means the only way to play it legally without getting an original cart would be if you previously bought it on the Wii VC and either still play it on that system or transferred it to the Wii Mode of your Wii U.

And a look at what our friends on Japan are getting in their update this month:

Man, how come we didn't the cute-creatures-beating-the-****-out-of-each-other game? :(

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually IIRC Super Turrican is the licensed on-device bundle in on one of those "Play your SNES carts using this glorified emulator with a slot" devices.

Why I recall this is beyond me, as I think those things are stupid. :p

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some of them are good- HDMI output and such.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

IT CAME BACK

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno- if I can't helicopter kick back and forth across the screen, is it even Double Dragon? ;)

christophero30 and Ramza like this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I'm very old school but the side scrolling beat em up is a genre that has aged terribly for me. That said, 2 I still enjoy are TMNT and Streets of Rage.

Jedi Ben and Rew like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is an odd genre- you have to have some really specific, yet hard to identify, qualities in it in order for a game in it to really work. The TMNT series in arcades and on NES/SNES, as well as Simpsons and X-Men in arcades, managed to flat-out work even if you weren't a fan of their respective properties. Yet, even TMNT on GCN ended up just feeling dry and repetitive despite being similar in concept. So it's very easy to miss the mark even with what should seem like a sure-thing.

I'm admittedly not experienced with SOR, though I did play a bunch of SNES Final Fight and NES Double Dragon. And a little bit of Golden Axe. And, despite the difficulty killing the game, NES Battletoads remains ****ing amazing. Final Fight was decent but was more about having a Street Fighter-like visual vibe in a slightly more explorable environment than a straight fighter.

Double Dragon was played so much mostly due to the co-op... which wasn't introduced until the sequel. Difficulty also hurt it, but you'd play a couple levels for some variety every so often between more mainstream NES titles.

I may check out SOR4 some day, just to check-in on a modern-yet-retro entry in the genre.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    christophero30 likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I find I enjoy old beat 'em ups now that modern technology (like save states) has enabled us to play them the way they were always designed to be played - with unlimited continues, which back then was all the better with which to drain you of your quarters. :p Neon is very much a throwback but trades a bit of difficulty for flashy aesthetics.

As for SoR, I think with the full benefit of hindsight the series can sort of be summed up as "Final Fight with a rocking Megadrive soundtrack." If you like one series there's a lot to like in the other.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This is remindinge that I need to play Streets of Kamurocho.

Jedi Ben and christophero30 like this.
  23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Streets of Rage 2 was an example of something that just didn't seem possible on the SNES, and I'm a Nintendo fanboy. The graphics, music, etc. just seemed ahead of it's time. I still am impressed by some of the lighting effects in that game.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

The sensation of watching a digital pre-order download yesterday was a new one for me. But I need those Nintendo coins counted ASAP so I'm all good to go when the next Mario pin set goes up...

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone want to go to Japan?