main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Keeping the tablet screen resolution at 720p is crazy to me. I would expect at least 1080p, if not 1440.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean, that part is kinda nutty. But while for certain games like TRPGs I do play handheld a lot, I'd still prefer to play big games on a screen. And for that, I want my 4K. At least the handheld screen will be OLED. And I presume if it's gonna run games at 4k, that means a newer, better processor and RAM.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There seems to be some dispute over how much a difference 720p vs 1080p makes for the handheld screen. Regardless, it's not a deal breaker for me since I'd mostly be playing on my TV anyway.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    IMO the article makes it pretty obvious they were trying to keep the tablet screen as cheap as possible (it sounds so flimsy it almost becomes the perfect use case argument for a screen guard), and if I had to guess, the old screen is now so out of date they were forced to upgrade to the next bad tier. :p

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh, I mean... I can see the difference between 720 and 1080 on my phone but... Barely.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Poorly scaled UI text elements are like exactly where that difference matters and it’s exactly what the common complaint has been with the undocked Switch because they cheaped out the first time. They can’t cheap out as much as they did because now nobody wants to make 720p LCDs, but if they really are outputting to 4K when docked the problem is going to get way worse.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I pre-ordered Skyward Sword for July. My plan is to do a Zelda playthrough (hoping that Twilight Princess and Windwaker get some sort of remaster for the Switch) for the second half of 2021. Unless I magically obtain a PS5. But I have OoT, MM, and ALttP for the 3DS, and obviously BotW.

It's just a shame that the best Zelda games, Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon, will never get a remaster.

MAH BOI

solojones and The2ndQuest like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Solo's Switcheroo".

solojones likes this.
  10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I still play my Vita and it's OLED screen is still impressive. Id rebuy a new Switch model and keep my old one for...stuff.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I’m going to wait it out and see if it’s a necessary purchase - big shock coming from me, I know. :p Nintendo has kind of a bad habit of pushing out a mid-generation “upgrade” that gets maybe... five or six total games of official support as every external developer hedges on the bulk of consumers having the lower end hardware - which is invariably the correct assessment. If it’s a big enough jump it’s actually “Switch 2” (although thanks to Nintendo’s stupid nomenclature this would not be the same as a “New Switch”, *sigh*) then that’s a different conversation entirely, obviously.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m so hungry for this, I could eat an Octorock.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I think a lot of having this upgrade is so they can still get more third party games released. You kinda have to have a system capable of 4k these days to run many of those.

Of course I also hope there are better versions of exclusive Nintendo games on the Switch Pro or whatever it's called. But I wouldn't necessarily want them to be exclusives to the Pro. Do what Microsoft and Playstation have done and release most games on both last gen and current gen, at least for a year or so.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    RELEASE THE SWITCH PRO NOW, GOD DAMMIT!

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Youtube embed:

Me: "Oh, this is just to distract people from being annoyed that Mario 35 was a limited-time game."
    Game: (Shows off Ghost Train)
    Me: "LET'S DO THIS!"

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Trying to gauge everyone's opinion here on this, but:

Who here thinks that Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is a better game in terms of story than Breath of the Wild?

I don't know, maybe it's because I feel like the cast of characters has more time, more dialogue, and more of a "presence" than BOTW (which literally seems too empty, though of course I still enjoyed it immensely)?

Probably a cold take, but I do like the story so far in Age of Calamity compared to BOTW... which isn't saying much, though I've heard that people go back and forth on this topic.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't played Age of Calamity quite yet, but it would be hard to be WORSE at storytelling than BotW :p

Rew and InterestingLurker like this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, they're just so totally different I can't really compare. All the Dynasty games are about ensembles, whereas BOTW, like most mainline Zeldas, is about Link, so while a lot of BOTW's supporting characters get to shine in AOC, Link is basically an empty vessel for the plot, compared to BOTW where he really gets fleshed out well. There's also the matter of stakes, where things seem less urgent in a world where the characters fight hundreds of enemies at a time.

I take AOC for what it is, a nice alt-reality take on BOTW's backstory, but it can totally be fun on its own disregarding knowledge of BOTW's events. Both games' stories have ups and downs IMO, but I'm all about the experience, which is very very fun for both. Case in point- I've played BOTW twice and I'm still playing AOC after starting it two months ago. (for comparison it took me a decade to give Skyward Sword a second play :p )

InterestingLurker likes this.
  19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I... honestly did not know that Age of Calamity was an "alt-reality take" on the backstory.

Spoilers!

:p

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah sorry! I figured it was common knowledge at this point. But also, it's decently obvious from early on, with the first clue being the Sheikah Towers rising well before they're supposed to.

IDK how far you've gotten, but there's still a big surprise about midway through that's mind-blowing in its own way.

21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Forked out for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Brilliant game so far. I'm enjoying it more than Donkey Kong Country Returns because I felt the controls were clunky. The bosses are really putting me through my paces too.

Skyward Sword could be my next buy

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had played the first couple levels of DKTP on Wii U and it was very promising (but I also found DKCR highly satisfying and this was just the next level of that creative output by Retro). It’s something I really need to get back to when I get around to clearing off the remainder of my Wii U backlog.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Tropical Freeze is a god-tier 2D platformer. Among the best I’ve ever played. As a huge fan of the original DKC trilogy since childhood, Tropical Freeze was the true return to form that I wanted Returns to be.

I was the same as you, @The2ndQuest, I dabbled in it on the Wii U but never got far. The rerelease on the Switch with the pro controller catapulted it on my favorite games list. It’s so special. The level design, the music, the gameplay... Ugh. It’s a masterpiece.

Nobody145 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll stick to the Wii U version since I still have that (don't need the extra Funky mode), plus the Wii U's Pro Controller is still a god-tier controller, which would be appropriate for a god-tier platformer :).

EDIT- apparently the latest firmware update for the Switch has been datamined and includes references to dock & 4K functions for Aula (the codename for the Switch Pro), which was previously rumored alongside a non-dockable project code named Calcio (which is believed to be only an internal development unit at this point).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  25. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The music definitely took me back to my childhood, especially the underwater levels. I then did some research on the game only to find David Wise was back as the composer :)

Reynar_Tedros and Rew like this.