main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also you can nab Xenoblade Chronicles X.

As to the new Switch, sounds like I don't need it - might as well grab the old Switch for the number of games I am likely to play on it. It might also reduce the price for original Switch.

Edit - wait 64GB internal storage and better net capability? That could make the case for the newer version.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    IMO barring a massive price difference I'd say get the new one. The screen in particular is a game changer for mobile play, which has long been frustrating due to poor resolutions and the actual display size. Obviously this is not an argument for an upgrade, but going in fresh? OLED all the way.

Rew and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You must have just missed the edit.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I also really dig the black and white colour scheme.

Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, that is pretty cool.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Ramza is right on the money here- this is perfect for new Switch buyers (or people needing to replace a damaged or lost unit) but not one that demands existing players upgrade.

I may pick this up eventually but I actually may buy it as a gift for someone else first. But I don't think I need it out of the gate. I do play handheld often enough to where I might benefit from it, but the existing handheld experience hasn't been lacking to any major extent when I do- and certainly not enough to make me need to upgrade right now. But maybe next year, if a true Pro or Switch 2 isn't announced.

Yeah, the only docked benefits, as far as they have mentioned so far, would be wired LAN (so you don't need to buy an adapter), additional internal storage (not that big of a deal for existing customers, as we've all almost certainly bought an SD card by this point) and potentially easier/safer access to SD card port.

Alternatively, if you buy an OLED to use as a secondary controller/system for local multiplayer, you could leave the OG Switch docked and allow the handheld player with the OLED to have a better quality screen and audio.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  7. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Actual conversation in the kitchen:

“Baby they announced a new Nintendo switch”
    “Does it do anything new?”
    “No”
    “You don't need it”
    “Its white”
    “When does it come out?!”

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  10. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Yeah she really likes uniformity and anything not black. My XSX is hidden behind the tv. At least I’ll be able to display the dock now.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was so ready to buy a Switch pro for 4k, but this ain't it.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, $350 = £300. Switch original currently goes for £280 so trying to bag one of these is a no brainer at that price difference.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    More importantly, it's more than a Series S which plays next gen games. It's only $50 less than a PS5 digital which play next gen games at 4k 60.

Like what is Nintendo.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A card game company that still hasn’t figured out how the internet works? :p

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, that's a disappointing upgrade. I know the storage is expandable unlike with most mobile devices nowadays, but 64 GB is still ridiculously tiny. I have several games on my SSD that are each larger than that.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It is, and everyone already has a cheap micro SD card for their original Switch.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Guess that confirms there's nothing especially jazzy under the hood.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also confirmed by a Treehouse employee, re: “if it runs any better”:

EDIT- though it does occur to me that this would also have the better battery life of the red box Switch revision. So, that would be an additional incentive to upgrade to the OLED Switch for anyone with an OG Switch model that uses handheld modes, if they haven’t already upgraded to a RB Switch.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If Nintendo are releasing a new Switch, why not improve the performance or battery life?

The screen seems like something they could have put on the Switch Lite.
    If the battery isn't improved, this new OLED screen will mean far less playing time.
    It makes no difference to the graphics and it won't improve the look on TV.

Internal storage matters not when the SD card option exists already, I have 128gb in my Switch.

A very strange announcement by Nintendo

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Because it's not a new Switch, it's more like a DS vs DS Lite situation. It was put well on the Bombcast a little while back, as following Nintendo's handheld model: you release a new version with some spec adjustments, new buyers get that version, diehards buy the new version and pass their old system to younger relatives or the resale market, the rest of us just keep our old model.

Also as Quest noted they already improved the battery in unlabeled revisions. :p

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Apparently Jeff Grubb is still hearing there's an actual Switch Pro coming in 2022.

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is the current version of the Switch still going to be produced?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They’re never going to admit it but I think it’s pretty likely they’ll phase it out.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Arlo has the best headlines.

The PR info released is presenting them as 3 SKUs of the same lineup. I suspect they do not want to sacrifice their price advantage by dropping the $299 model and forcing people to choose between a Lite and OLED- not with the all-digital version of PS5 and XSS hovering around there. At least for this year.

I would imagine that they'll phase out the OG & RB versions next year if a Pro revision happens and price drop the OLED to replace it. I think most stock out there now is the RB edition by now (especially with how in-demand the Switch was during the sell-out, scalper-bot period of the pandemic almost certainly wiping out any excess stock of the OG). And at this point that would still give them one more holiday's worth of RB sales and a head-start on the OLED's sales.

Though I assume we'll just get the MK8D bundle offered again this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the slim chance of a really good holiday pricing deal for the RB pops up this year to help wind it down.