main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They also added a wired Ethernet port to the dock, but if you’ve got an old one and you’re not a competitive Smash player there aren’t many compelling reasons to upgrade.

solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's probably a good 10 games I'd want it for - none of them are online, all are exclusive to the Switch.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo Directs, in one way or another, have one specific objective every time: To murder Arlo.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Go to Hell, Tony.

solojones and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  5. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    So according to a handful of articles the Switch Pro is real, was sent to at least 11 game devs, and they were suggested to have 4k switch games ready holiday 2022 before the start of what will now be called… “The Component Wars.”

My wallet will not be ready by then.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011

Ugh, can't the Switch Pro myth DIE already!?

:p

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's not happening then now anyway. But Nintendo denies the whole thing. Which is absurd because those developers didn't lie, c'mon.

8. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    I shant kill my hopes until i have a 4k 120hz OLED Nintendo handheld with 24 hr battery life in my hand.

To replay pokemon red on [face_laugh]

Seriously though i wish it had been real instead (or in addition to) of the OLED. BotW 2 at 4k with that gorgeous art style….juicy.

solojones likes this.
  9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

It not only would have been "nice" it's also absolutely madness that they aren't even trying to have a 4k console now.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    It’s not like 99% of us would be able to get one, anyway. I’m fine with everyone just staying pat for a while.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ok guys, my sister has just told me she wants a Switch and two games for Christmas; so, should I wait until closer to Christmas to buy the stuff, on the off-chance that there will be deals for the holiday season, or is it likely that the Switch will go out of stock quickly as it gets closer to Xmas? I'm in the UK, so I'm particularly looking for those of you familiar with buying this stuff over here at Christmas.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OLED Switch will be tricky, the older models? Probably easier.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Grubb and other supply chain watchers are broadly advising not to wait on tech purchases, I assume that applies to Switch as well.

Rew and soitscometothis like this.
  14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I didn't even know there was a OLED Switch! Amazon and Argos don't seem to be stocking it, so I guess it doesn't matter (and I suspect she doesn't know there's an OLED Switch, either).
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The OLED model is a good upgrade for mobile gaming but, if you plan to play it docked to the TV, there's apparently little to zero difference.

16. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I guess I'll have to ask my sister. Now that I look closer I see Amazon still have a few left.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    OLED just provides a wired networking option as far as docked performance goes, vs the original’s wifi and/or need to buy an adapter. Handheld you get upgraded screen size, clarity, stronger tabletop kickstand, etc.

I have to agree that OLED will be difficult to get. Maybe even the Lites (handheld only). The standard Switch might be tricky too just due to general tech and global supply shortage but should be more plentiful. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle for Black Friday again for that model.

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Mario Kart isn't my sister's thing, she wants Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. She says she's fine with the standard model of Switch, which is available at the moment here.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Switch OLED and Breath of the Wild have been acquired. I will see you all in six months when I anticipate I'll be about halfway through the game.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I didn't do a ton of side stuff in the game to be honest. It only took me three months

21. ZanderSolo

May 18, 2007
    The rewards for all the korok seeds is amazing, game changing, lore changing, life affirming stuff. Legendary.

Ive been trying to get my copy back from my BIL for a few months now. He's had it for 3 years.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Still not.finished BotW. It just doesn't gel with me. I've tried to.like it but the weapon thing still does my head in.

Hope you have more fun than I did.

Still loving Dread though, two full powered emmis down and I'm against the next boss and have died multiple times again.

Apparently the game cN be completed in under 4hrs if you know what you're doing. Im officially 3hrs.in and I don't think I'll break 10hrs in all honesty

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sorry to hear that BotW didn't gel but that's okay. Maybe give it another shot in the future. I had a lot of fun with it. I put in over 100 hours into it.

Glad you're still loving Dread. Don't be in a rush to beat it. Exploration is part of the fun.

Speed runs of the game are happening in less than 2 hours. Specifically Oatsngoats is getting done in less than hour and a half.
    https://www.speedrun.com/mdread

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The classic Castlevania games are available on sale in the Nintendo Eshop at the moment

Could be worth getting, if you like that sort of thing

25. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Popping in to ask a stupid question - my wii went to wii heaven and I'm having super mario withdrawal. Are there any good super mario games for the switch? Thanks!