main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Pft I had an NES in 1988. Suck it fictional kids!!

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Frankly, I'm lucky that my first console was an N64.

I say "lucky" because it gives me bragging rights.

:p

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I want to buy a new game today. It might be 3 emblems, but I'm open to other options. The general idea is that I'd like a fantasy rpg as usual since it's my favorite genre. The Zelda variant is also an option, but I probably better wait for BOTW2

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    RPG you say? Phantasy Star is on sale for £2.57

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If you like turn-based RPGs there are some pretty good options on sale at the moment like Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Dragon Quest XI.

Yeah but that's a fairly miserable 1980s first person dungeon crawler. :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    3sm1r likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also a rather fast dungeon crawler by today's standards!

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I am unsure about turn based but I have already played the two main live action for switch, Witcher and Zelda.
    I'm not hooked by Xenoblade chronicles. So I thought that either I go for skyrim or Zelda skyword, or I'll better try tirn based.

Skyrim... meh it's probably awesome but I'm not used to first person.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You might not like Skyward Sword if you like Breath of the Wild, it's... kind of infamously of the opposite design philosophy. Don't bother with Skyrim, the Switch port is bad and somehow has even worse bugs than the original.

InterestingLurker and 3sm1r like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I may only play Skyward Sword for the backstory of the series.

But I'm not expecting it to be that special. Not bad. Probably good. But nothing particularly great.

10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Has anyone played Monster Hunter Rise ?
    It looks pretty cool.

(I have seen a bunch of gameplay of the the games suggested above. I don't think I'm ready for turn based games. It just feels awkward to me that the opponent simply waits for me to choose what to do. I know I can't say for sure until I try but they don't look like my cup of tea.)

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s just a layer of abstraction to keep things manageable, going back to tabletop games. Like, imagine if in chess everyone had to move their pieces in simultaneous real time. That’d be a mess. :p

Jedi Ben and 3sm1r like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Don't run away I'm almost at gamestop @Ramza :p

13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    They don't even have Divinity....

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well that probably makes it easier. :p

3sm1r likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It has a free demo, have downloaded but not tried it out yet.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Is 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim that good? May get it, but that would be in April.

Still, everyone swears by this game.

17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I ended up buying Monster Hunter Rise, still too shy to make the turn-based games jump, but also because it was on sale and I paid about half the price.
    There is no thread for it, I might create one in the future if needed.

The world looks quite beautiful and it seems there is really a lot to customize in weapons and combat style.
    It is relatively fun to play, but I feel that I won't get as obsessed by it as with Zelda and Witcher because it seems to be kind of repetitive.

I need to play a bit more to make more definitive assessments.

A minor critique is about the combat. When I hit a monster their body does not seem to absorb the hit. Both in Zelda and Witcher smashing something is very satisfactory because the opponent's bodies tend to be perturbed by the hit in a fairly believable way. This is not the case here.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  18. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
  19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Our Expansion Pass money is funding the new puns in this trailer.

It's money well-spent.

20. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm still not getting the Expansion Pass.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    All depends on what they include and what you'll use(and if you're using a Family Plan or not). If you have AC, the DLC makes it well worth it. If you dig retro games, there's a pretty solid selection of GEN and N64 titles (or will be soon). And, if the GBA titles are getting added as seems the case, when those drop that facet will increase in value significantly.

And if not those, then I think its value is up to what other DLC-like bonuses they include in the future to expand its appeal to a broader crosssection of gamers. If they treat it like an amiibo where you pay for the pass and it essentially is like unlimited future DLC, it'll be a pretty smart play (and financially viable for Nintendo, since not everyone is going to want every DLC option).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  22. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Don't get me wrong:

I think Nintendo will improve on it dramatically going forward.

But... I mean, my biggest problem is whether or not the next console by Nintendo will you carry the same library of games from the Switch to whatever machine comes afterward.

Granted, the next console will likely come out in, perhaps, 2023 or 2024.

Until then: we'll have to deal more dumb "Switch Pro" rumors and people that absolutely swear that it exists.

But more to the point: I'm just not sure if I'll bother to get the Expansion Pass before the Nintendo Switch gives way to whatever else Nintendo is working on.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Recently it was said that Nintendo sees the Switch as being midway through its life cycle. Combine that with chip shortages and I don’t think you need to worry about the Switch 2 hitting any sooner than 2025. A Switch Pro revamp would seem far more likely between now and then, if not for the chip shortages.

I would suspect Nintendo will want to leverage the Switch install base and library as much as possible moving forward, but it all depends on what the next system is.

It’s also good to keep in mind that Nintendo has, historically, been better about backwards compatibility than it’s competitors by a large margin. The change from disc to cart being the main break in the chain with the Switch. As long as that format doesn’t change again (seems unlikely, specially with them wanting to emphasize digital sales for profit margins), it’s likely there’ll be a high level of BC in the next system (again, in addition to leveraging the existing install base).

24. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    To be honest: I don't ever expect there to be a Switch Pro.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I lean toward it not even existing.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They are known for hardware revisions- a Switch Pro may not be a powerhouse system but rather a dock update or something similar. I could see them using that also as a test case for advancing the Switch library towards the next platform (ie: games that can only run in 4K on new Switches but can down convert properly on old, or even taking a N3DS approach with exclusive high-end titles (since there are already games/game modes that don't work on a Lite), etc).

But we've gotten 3 Switch revisions in 4 years. I think it's safe to say we'll get at least one more in the next 3.