main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    NSMBU was a launch title for the Wii U.

For certain people, maybe. Course I wound up getting three Wii and seven Wii U games, along with the VC and WiiWare titles. Twenty-five years ago, I would've started out with two PS1 games, if I had gotten that. Same with N64. And I did have one SNES game for two years, before getting two others. And two GB games before another, a few months later.

Almost the best. If they had kept the Wii VC titles and had more N64 titles, then yeah, it would be the best. BTW, why didn't the Wii U have "Mario Kart Wii" in the e-shop? That really ticks me off.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean a real 3D Mario game..I beat NSMBU in one short sitting at a friend's house.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What about Game Cube?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The famously successful Game Cube.

Edit: I loved my old Game Cube but even at the time it was obviously the distant third in the US and the distant second in Japan.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    GCN didn’t fall into a clear third until the last third of its life. At least in my experience it held its own for quite a while- and was the go-to party machine on top of its tech parity with XB. Definitely had an edge with certain 3rd party games like the SW franchise too.

Because you could already play MK Wii discs on the system (which had already sold 37m+ copies) and they probably wanted you buying MK8 and MK8 DLC instead.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I would have to contend it really didn't. Lifetime GCN sales - as in, up to 2010 - were 22 million. The Xbox, which was truncated by the 360 launching as quickly as it did in the grand scheme of things, had sold 24 million by 2006. And these are both quibbling over scraps because the PS2 sold so many ****ing units that they still make games for it, they were still making PS2s when the Wii U came out, we are still in the PS2 generation and never escaped, when the Earth ends and is consumed by the sun there will still be a couple of PS2s sold every year afterwards. :p

Reynar_Tedros and The2ndQuest like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In this place the GameCube had an ace card - Star Wars Rogue Leader.

Still kicks arse over 20 years later.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean, I think that's a fair characterization of the GCN holding its own if it was within 2 mil of the XB. PS2 obviously overshadowed both but GCN had a lead over XB for most of the gen (up until maybe mid/late 2004), then trailed off and XB made up ground (eventually surpassing it by 2005when 360 launched) as it became clearer and clearer that the XB would be more than just Halo and a novelty system (bolstered as Halo 2 and XB Live became a thing).

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yet, other Wii titles are in the eshop. Same with MK games. Kinda odd.

Either way, four titles for you and seven for me is pretty good for us as individuals. The only way it wouldn't work is if you have a history of buying large number of titles, per console.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just think it sucks that the one company of the big three that actually cares about preservation and regularly makes legacy titles available on current hardware is the one with easily the least compelling legacy.

Ramza and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What I was getting at with games available is that individual level that allows the purchase to be justified. Forza 5 looks to be a great game but I can't justify dropping £450 just to play it. Someone else could justify it.

The GameCube and Wii / Wii U were cheaper buys by comparison so easier. (Plus I was a lot younger.) Being able to play Rogue Leader in a shop sold me the GameCube - it wasn't a gamble, I knew what I was getting.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't checked recently, but I recall it being mainly harder to find/limited production titles which were expensive to acquire physically that got digital rereleases ie: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles and the other Project Rainfall titles.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, just playing around with any idea, but how many people here would be up for a MariOlympics of a sort starting sometime this summer? Basically throw all of the major Switch Nintendo/Mario sports titles (and Smash, of course- maybe even Mario Party as a wild card thing) into the mix, plus some retro games in some form, balance out things into teams (especially as who has access to what factors in) and score across them all for a final winner? Would have to work out the specifics and logistics in terms of scoring, player time zones, tracking scores, etc, and I have no idea how long it would take but it'd be something we could spread out for a few months to make work. But obviously depends on level of interest since we'd want more than just 4 people playing ;).

Gonna cross-post this in the Forceboat thread, but wanted to get a pulse here as well.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The only reason I got a Gamecube.

Literally only.

Rebel Strike wins for me only for the SSD episodes, and inventing TIE Hunters.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention having all of Rogue Leader in co-op.

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Rogue Leader is awesome. I have the N64 and GC versions.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The N64 release was Rogue Squadron. Also a solid title (though the one AT-PT level drove me nuts). Notable for being spun-off from the opening snowspeeder level of Shadows of the Empire and, via code, the first place we could play as the N-1 Starfighter after the TPM teaser trailer debuted (fitting, given that it was followed up by Battle For naboo, which was also excellent and is highly underrated). Also had a Dark Empire level, so, :cool:.

But Rogue Leader was definitely next level. Flying the trench run with independent look-around controls and interactive cannon fire lighting effects was insane at the time.

I also appreciated Rebel Strike not only giving us two story mode paths- one EU-based Wedge track with an original story and another that was more movie-centric with Luke while also, at the same time, not repeating levels from Rogue Leader and instead slotting things between them.

Would actually love to see a mega-compilation remake combining all of the levels from all three games into a single chronological experience (at least the Luke ones). Maybe some of the unreleased Rogue Squadron IV Wii content added in/updated as a bonus.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    For me Game Cube never quite lived up to being the successor to N64. It was not as fun for multiplayer and it didn’t have the lineup of standout games.

Wii saw Nintendo find what made N64 so good.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wholeheartedly disagree. GCN, like the N64, was still a massive party machine and couch co-op beast. The 4 controller ports gave it an edge over the PS2 in that regard, the while the overall system was more durable and portable to bring to places. Melee alone solidified that role, but you also still had the iterations of Mario Party (personally, MP5 was the best entry of the series) and Mario Kart (DD may not be the most popular version, but the co-op mechanic was-and-still-is aces) in addition to F-Zero GX. Animal Crossing, Pac Man VS and Four Swords Adventures also brought unique multiplayer dynamics.

And that's not mentioning pretty good 3rd party support where you'd often have the best version of a title on GCN. TimeSplitters 2, Mortal Kombat V, Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Melee & SoulCaibur II come to mind.

Really, the Wii kinda waned in many of those regards. A huge success, yes, but maybe 3-5 games really standing out? The loss of parity with other consoles during the jump to HD really hurt that system's 3rd party releases.

Sinrebirth and Ramza like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The thing with the 'Cube was it had better third party support and had the improved sequels to almost everything the N64 had (with the exception of some of the Rare platformers, and, IMO, Sunshine is not as good as SMB64. By contrast, yes, I am one of those weirdos who considers Wind Waker the king of the Zelda titles), and while the controller was still... odd... it was less odd than the N64, and had two sticks the way God intended. For the most part I would legitimately have a hard time figuring out a game on the N64 that didn't have a better alternative on the GCN.

Also, you know what the Game Cube had that the N64 never even got a whiff of? The completely insane Metal Gear Solid remake The Twin Snakes.

People who claim to prefer the original are cowards who refused to accept this was always where the franchise was headed. Cowards I tell you!

Sinrebirth and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The GCN controller was almost flawless. There's a reason it has lasted more console generations than any other controller. It's only flaws were a D-pad that was too small, the lack of a Z2 button (you put one on there, why not make another for symmetry?) and the fact that, while the "have all support face buttons orbit around the primary input button" is a brilliant design that enhances most games it was used for, it did handicap it for certain specific genres (traditional arcade fighters being the most notable, where you need multiple buttons of equal importance) so there was a slight tradeoff of versatility in some games for enhancements in others.

The only thing I lament about the GCN is that it did away with the C-buttons or an equivalent. Yes, technically the C-stick replaced them, but the jump from GoldenEye 1-stick+C-buttons to Agent Under Fire 2-stick controls for FPS sacrificed circle strafing precision and basically killed my FPS skill game. I eventually adapted after a few years, but dual analogs took a long while to get used to (especially since the most common alternative to practice with them was the DualShock 2's terrible, top-heavy, floppy-ass sticks).

Not many GCN sequels fell short of their N64 versions. People might argue that MK64 over MKDD is an example (I wouldn't- one day people will realize that that game wasn't very good). Star Fox 64 vs Star Fox Assault is probably a more legit example, though I really don't think there's that much of a difference there.

A lot of people tend to hold up Mario Party 2 or 3 as the best in that series (but, again, I found 5 to be superior). Maybe Paper Mario (but I think that's a coin toss too)?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Melee cultists? :p

Sinrebirth and The2ndQuest like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thinking of other examples, if you want to jump platform holders, I think most people would take the N64 Perfect Dark over Perfect Dark Zero any day ;). Granted, that's a generation skip, technically. But, let's be honest, if you're a launch title for the 360- a system that famously came out earlier than the traditional console cycle to get a jump on the competition, you were probably a title initially developed for the original XB ;).

Well, they're not wrong :p.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't played DD other than the retro courses in later games, but have watched YouTube videos of the game play. I do agree that it is more innovative than 64, but 64 isn't completely terrible. I do hate the tire spinning, though.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    MK64 was experimental in ways that, while necessary in the N64 era of exploring what 3D space could do for franchises, lost the tight design of the original game that was recaptured in later titles. MK1 had very tight controls, whereas MK64 was far looser. MK1 had well-designed tracks that always conveyed where to go even while providing a range of motions and pathing. Meanwhile, MK64 did very open spaces for tracks that could often leave you turned around or heading off into a corner away from the correct path(s).

Understandable, again, for wanting to show off 3D spaces (and also to help keep muddy textures further from the camera). But they've almost always been among the weaker tracks in the series. Later Retro Cup updates of those tracks have helped a little with added details and revisions, but there are still issues with them in terms of design and feel.