main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Smack My Switch Up: The Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (was: NX)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So some more Switch details are starting to come out as reviewers get their hands on them.

Battery life is still in that 2.5 to 6 hour range, but the sleep mode is extremely energy efficient, expending only 2% over an 8 hour period.

Small audio easter egg trick when unlocking the system from sleep mode in portable mode:

Another cool feature that I hadn't heard of before: the systems can share system and software updates over local wifi, which is fantastic, since it avoids those Smash-like scenarios where you can't join a local game because you aren't all on the same version. Problem solved!

Though not a Switch exclusive, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap HD remake will be able to toggle between the original 8-bit graphics & audio and the HD version by pressing a single button. Even cooler? You can actually load an original 1989 save into the game. That's pretty damn cool.

''

The Switch VC will not be active at launch. However, it may not be long before it goes up as release schedules have indicated that Neo Geo titles will be available in Japan in March.

Test systems are experiencing a small glitch with the left Joy-Con randomly disconnecting from its sync with the system, but the exact conditions haven't been determined yet (some only experience the issue outside of gameplay, others claim they've had it happen a couple times during gameplay). It's some kind of bluetooth issue and is expected that the day one update will resolve it.

Corellian_Outrider and Life like this.
  2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm not even going to try getting a Switch at launch. I had a bad experience trying to get a Wii when it was released, so I'll bide my time and wait a couple weeks to get mine. Unfortunately, I'm limited to getting one at GameStop, because I have a $50 gift card that I got for Christmas, so I can't try other retailers.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I won't be able to get the Switch at launch, sadly (which also means no Zelda because I'm only buying it once and I want the portability, as much I love my U). Still digging out of final semester debt AND I still need to get my Celebration cash together.

First Nintendo console in over 20 years that I haven't gotten at launch (I did get the N64 during its launch window but not launch day). Sometimes getting them early pays off (like the original GCN configuration), so I try not to wait too long.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Let's see if I can remember when I got my various Nintendo systems.

NES: Christmas of 1986.
    SNES: Never owned one, but my neighbor for many years did, so I would always go over to his house to play.
    N64: Christmas of 1997.
    GameCube: Spring of 2004.
    Wii: Mid-December 2006.
    Wii-U: Never owned one, and this particular console didn't interest me at all.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I got my NES for xmas, in either '88 or '89 (I'd have to double check, though I should probably know this). It couldn't have been earlier since the Action Set didn't come out until then.

[​IMG]

I bought my SNES using garage sale money sometime in 1992 once the Control Set and ALTTP had come out (it made sense at the time that I'd rather spend $150 on the system and Zelda with one less controller than $150 on the main system w/ SMW & two controllers since you only needed one controller to play Zelda and I had already played the hell out of SMW at a friend's house (and could still do so/borrow the game if i was so inclined)).

I believe I convinced my parents to buy my the N64 during its launch window (though i got my first job shortly afterwards so most of that library was self-funded). I picked up my GCN, Wii & Wii U on their launch days.

I believe i picked up my GBA on launch day too, but didn't grab a DS or 3DS until a year or two after they had come out. My original GB (well, technically mine) i won through a Cap'n Crunch contest (but that officially went to my sister since that was "her" cereal- I eventually acquired a second one as my own later on but i forget how).

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

NES: circa February of 1990.
    GameBoy: December of 1991.
    SNES: Christmas of 1992.
    DS Lite: September of 2006.
    Wii U: December of 2016.

The NES was a used set belonging to a friend of my brother, who was going to sell his stuff. One control deck, three controllers, the Zapper Gun, five games, five plastic cases and the black book. All of that was for $100, a steal when you think about it.The GB was a Christmas gift during a period of change and a small Christmas. The SNES was a gift from my sister who got me the Control Set and my mom got me "Super Castlevania IV" and "Super Mario Land 2" for the GB. I missed out on the next few consoles and handhelds, but made an effort for the DS Lite, which was the closest to launch since I chose to get that due to the lighter weight and longer battery life. As such, I have the white edition. I finally got off my ass and got a Wii U since it was going to be discontinued.

So I have no problem waiting on the Switch and not getting one at launch. That has never been a priority for me.

The2ndQuest and Life like this.
  7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I have become the same way, but only now in my adult years. I first bought a PS3 the summer of 2010, three years after its 2007 launch in Europe. And three years post launch, I have still yet to buy a PS4.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I first started with the SNES back in… I was little and not sure which year but was a birthday present and Super Mario World was my first and I loved Yoshi.
    Then '97 got the N64 and Mario Kart for my birthday
    I preordered the GCN at launch and got Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader
    Wii was hard to get and got it a few months after launch with Twilight Princess
    Wii U was at launch with Assassin's Creed 3

Now here I am and just picked up the Switch from the midnight launch and set up my account and system update (not that big) for the eShop. Have to wait for Zelda to arrive via post later today unless delayed then have to wait till Monday :/

First impressions so far are really good. The size has surprised me. It feels good to hold, much more streamline than the Wii U gamepad. Boots up fast and didn't take long to get things sorted. Create user account and then can link it to your NNID or whichever method you have been using and done. Downloaded the demo of Snipperclips to test out before sleep and all without connecting to the TV (I'll do that after I slept). Kickstand is good and tested out the joy cons on their on and it feels good to hold so far but will put it to the test later in the day.

Contemplating which eShop title to get.. I am Setsuna, Fast RMX or Shovel Knight. There are a few games on the eShop (18 in my region)... couple of other titles on there like New FrontierDays and Voez. Also some NeoGeo like Metal Slug 3 as well as the retail ones.

Going to hop to sleep in a moment but let me know if there is anything you would like to know and I'll be back on in a few hours to answer as best I can.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I didn't waste a ton of time getting the 64, Gamecube, and Wii, but I did only get an Xbox 360 5 years after its debut, so waiting a bit for consoles isn't exactly outside the realm of possibility for me. :p Though I'll most likely get the Switch either this year or next.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since I'll be on the city later tonight I might pop by the Nintendo Store and give the Switch a try if they demos running and the launch day madness has calmed down by then.

EDIT- Clearly I was foolish to think so. Walked by the store an hour and fifteen before they close and there was still an hour-long line outside in the 30' weather.

A quick video I grabbed.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    You know, there's a lot I like about this... and a lot that frustrates me.

Can I play Breath of the Wild on a Wii U? Does the frame rate hold up? I mean, I know it's coming out on that platform, and chances are I'll be able to get one on the cheap quite soon, but still.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
  13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The frame rate is worse on the Wii U, which would (presumably) have greater processing power and isn't limited by portability.

Also, glad to see Nintendo still haven't figured out save data transfers. Or having one unified digital service... ugh.

Ezio Skywalker and B99 like this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Sure doesn't seem to of had a good line up of games at launch.. Besides Zelda, and Splatoon, any other good ones??

15. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Based on the reviews I've read and seen, I think the differences are trivial. Yeah, the Switch offers superior visuals, but only by what looks like a very thin margin. I don't think I'll feel like I'm missing out on anything by getting Zelda for the Wii U instead of the Switch.

It was the same back when Twilight Princess came out for the GCN and the Wii, iirc. The only noticeable difference was the mirrored world map (and Link being right-handed on the Wii).

Life likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    So, to all those who own a Switch, has this happened yet?

[​IMG]

Reports are coming in that the Switch overheats and causes bending. Even if you don't play it for long hours, this is happening.

17. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't had that happen on my end and I've clocked in "180 hours or more" on Breath of the Wild.

The Switch doesn't have an in-depth Activity tracker like the Wii U or 3DS does at the moment so it gives an estimate in 5 hr blocks.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999

[face_laugh] You've just made me feel so much better about my mere 50-60 hours I've racked up!

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So they've announced a Switch port of Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross)...

And, as a result, Nintendo gained $2 billion in market value in a single day. That's pretty crazy (it even surpasses the Pokemon Go peak from last summer). The Wii U MH3 demo turned me off to the series but it's impressive that the series has that much pull still.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Part 2 of The Triforce Awakens went up a couple weeks ago and it's still amazing.

...at least until you realize the implications of Mario playing Han Solo. :(

Corellian_Outrider and Life like this.
  22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    10/10 thread title =D=

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    We've done music puns for three console generations now, can't stop now. :)

24. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm considering getting a Switch later this year but I must say...

...I sure hope this isn't still a thing. Same with the dock scuffing the screen after only a few uses. I might have to seriously consider using a screen protector for the first time ever.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd get a screen protector no matter the device- portable, phone or screen-enabled controller. The screens of DS demo units gave me nightmares long ago and I am prepared.

Life likes this.