main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Snoke/Andy Serkis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Johnson used Snoke really well in Last Jedi, even if he did kill him off, but he knew that he had Andy Serkis and ILM at his disposal so he basically went all out into evil genius monologues. That whole "Oh, do you see something in my apprentice, a weakness perhaps!" is so great.

But there is sort of a disconnect between if Sidious was controlling Snoke the entire time or if Palpatine can jump in once in a while. Like Snoke killing Rey (which he totally was going to do in TLJ) would be against Palpatine's Master Plan, I feel (Yes Palpatine tells Kylo to kill her but they're both full of it at that moment). Ben's "chats" with Snoke and Vader I believe are totally Palpatine as shown in the film "I have been every voice inside your head." The Snoke chats have been shown in the Kylo Ren comic, the Vader chats I'm assuming happened with Kylo saying "show me again the power of the darkness" and Palpatine voicing Vader with the "inside your head." line. There's a whole bit in a Snoke comic where he basically talks as Palpatine saying that he wishes Luke Skywalker had been at his side.

I think Snoke is acting on Palpatine's will mostly but every once in awhile he goes off on his own. And it lets Andy Serkis be big and crazy too. "Skywalker lives!!"

2. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Has anyone come up with a good idea about what the Snoke creations are? I just can't see them as clones since why would Palps make clones that old and severely injured?? This puzzles me. Would be nice with a comment from Rian and JJ now that the entire fiesta is over.

My best guess is that they are an attempt at creating a super force user (Like some of us thought Palps had done in creating Anakin, but then disney shot that theory down) but they all look the same, old and wounded. I am so confused on this character's background.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    lawton and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  3. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I think that's the flaw inherent with the unnatural Sith extension of life. Look at Palps. I seriously believe his cosmetic appearance is true and his :normal" look was a facade.

4. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    What we need is a Supreme Leader Snoke & Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus parallel discussion.

Maybe it needs a thread of its own?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004

My take on this is that Palpatine was testing both Rey and Kylo in TLJ as Snoke.

Sure Palpatine wants Rey to survive since she's blood BUT each of his apprentices in the past....he puts them on a harsh trial....and he wants to see IF Kylo would kill her or not and to also see IF Rey is powerful enough to defend herself against Kylo. It's always survival of the fittest with the Sith. Either it's Kylo or his granddaughter who ever is more powerful between the two, it doesn't matter to Palpatine. So TLJ didn't contradict anything....it just showed Palpatine Kylo's intentions toward his master.

So if anyone asks me, who is Snoke? I would say he is the new created form of Palpatine.

His first words to Kylo was ....."My Boy"

And "I made Snoke" then he even imitated Snoke's and Vader's voices then saying "He's been the voice all this time" or since the beginning not sure of exact quote plus all those Snokes on the tube.

Looks like a Palpatine avatar puppet to me.

lawton and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Hard to say but its crazy how they come out already damaged and deformed like that. My thought was its an experiment with Palps dead master originally but they did say after TFA that they considered making Snoke female at one time (in addition to almost making him simply an undead snakeman skeleton) which wouldn't go along with that but the sex of Snoke would be interchangeable I guess if they were playing with his DNA.

darth_of_denmark likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Sounds good to me.

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011

Pulled some of my posts from other threads:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  10. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Dooku = Snoke confirmed. [face_laugh]

11. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Great stuff. It's getting harder to believe Abrams and Johnson didn't indend Snoke as a fake-out from the beginning, with all his Dooku parallels. I like the red and blue saber thing.

I've said this before, if not on the forums. The name Snoke suggests "smoke" indicating that there is something else behind him. So he was teased as a new Palpatine but is actually a new Dooku. Also, he leads half of the galaxy against the other half, which is what Dooku did too.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If we could get something acting-ly with Andy Serkis and Ian McDirmid as Snoke and Palpatine I would absolutely love it. Although live action version would probably be crazy expensive. Hell animated miniseries that really delves into the Snoke/Palpy interactions. I mean, there was a freakin' vatfull of him!

13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Wow! Those 2 actors and characters together!

lawton and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Watching TROS really cemented my view that Snoke was a waste of time and a wasted character. In TFA, he comes across as largely the dollar store knockoff brand of Palpatine: he's the leader of the First Order (which is like the Empire given a repaint) who drew Kylo Ren (Darth Vader 2.0) to the Dark Side. In TLJ, he's the same sort of knockoff Palpatine character who dies in a scene that feels a lot like a copy of the throne room scene in ROTJ and his death is pretty anticlimactic and unimpressive, given that he falls for a trick that might not work on a ten-year-old. He also dies before we can learn anything that would help flesh him out as a unique character in his own right. We learn nothing of significance about he tempted Kylo to the Dark Side, how he first met Kylo, how he rose to power, how he built the First Order, and how Han and Leia knew who he was and how they knew he was responsible for Kylo's fall. This is all stuff we should've learned before he was killed off in anticlimactic fashion.

Then in TROS, we learn that he was never anything but a clone created by Palpatine. How and why Palpatine created these clones or what Palpatine's masterplan with Snoke really was is not really explained or clarified in any way that I find particularly meaningful. It's a throwaway sentence dismissing the villain of two films, the guy who was supposedly to blame for Kylo's descent into darkness. To me, that more than anything confirmed what a waste of time and character Snoke was; it was the strongest proof I could possibly see or hear of how much of a narrative dead end Snoke turned out to be in the ST.

Snoke to me was the dollar store knockoff brand of Palpatine, and why create the knockoff brand for the ST when the ST was going to try to sell me on Palpatine's return from the dead in the last installment of the ST? To me, it would've been better to either focus on building up Snoke as a unique villain with a relevant backstory in politics and with tempting Kylo to the Dark Side, or to just not bother with creating Snoke and instead focus that narrative time and energy on introducing Palpatine from the beginning of the ST and coming up with a believable explanation for Palpatine being back from the dead. To me, it just ends up looking like poor planning on the part of the ST.

15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Honestly hard to argue with this.
    (But I will try :p )

I don't think introducing Palpatine in Ep7 instead would have necessarily worked better.

It would be harder to not rehash the OT even worse with that approach.
    I kind of liked it as a twist in IX, but I acknowledge there was absolutely no established plan to it.
    The way he is introduced after being thought dead made him seem kind of like an incarnate evil more than in previous movies. Like it makes him a bit scarier not knowing how alive he actually is, how he has come back, or what he is capable of in terms of power. That worked for me.

As a kind of on-the-fly development it worked a lot like the reveals in the original six. Those being Palpatine is Sidious, Anakin is Darth Vader / Vader is Luke's father (depending on viewing order), Luke and Leia are twins.
    With the ST twists obviously being Palpatine behind everything (especially Snoke) and Rey being related to him.

(Eta - These twists all added depth to the established movies while being not at all originally intended. For example Rey almost killing Kylo in TFA, and being susceptible to the dark side in TLJ, work a bit better knowing her origins.)

Also, The First Order being revealed as something akin to the "Separatist" smokescreen in the PT was admittedly cool Imo. It has Palpatine's signature all over it.
    And the idea of Snoke being kind of like the Wizard of Oz, I have read people here musing.
    It kind of works with how we see him in TFA.

The line "I made Snoke" while maybe lazily written, or at least rushed, adds a little depth to the films watching it as a single story.
    And the Palps/Snoke/Vader line was surreal.

Adding the Rise of Kylo #2 in retroactively also helped this for me - Snoke/Palpatine talking in Ben's head as a friend from very early on.
    I didn't expect that he would be conversing with Snoke in his head while on missions with Luke. Pretty tragic.

I actually did better like the idea of Snoke as a separate entity to Palpatine, maybe something in soon-to-come material will establish he was part controlled by Palps, part his own sentient being. Not holding my breath though.
    If they ultimately go with that was 100% Palpatine controlled in TFA and TLJ it will read a little cheap.

Just because Palpatine put Snoke into power (and Snoke's voice in Ben's head from afar was definitely Palpatine), I haven't lost hope that Snoke will be established as having had some free will all along. It would be way more interesting.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  16. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @HevyDevy You can definitely feel free to argue with my post, especially since much of the judgments in it were ultimately my opinions. It's possible, of course, to have different opinions than me, which is part of what makes Star Wars discussions on these boards fun and interesting to me:)

I think you have a point that it's hard to say one way or the other if it would've worked out better to have Palpatine introduced in Episode 7. My own bias in such matters would generally be toward not resurrecting characters from the dead (this applies to characters like Darth Maul, for example) so if anything I would probably have preferred to see a Snoke developed into a unique character and villain with some backstory and traits to help distinguish him from Palpatine. However, I do think if the decision was made to resurrect Palpatine, the groundwork for that should've been developed in Episode 7 either by showing Palpatine's resurrection (perhaps through manipulating Kylo into bringing him back from the dead) or by having him already alive and including an explanation for how he came back from the dead. When I think about it now, it might even have been possible to have Snoke as the sort of public face for the First Order but make Palaptine a sort of shadow villain manipulating events in a way that maybe only the audience can see as is done in the PT. Films like TPM and AOTC could have been drawn on as models of how to achieve that if the ST was interested in pursuing that angle with Palpatine and Snoke. I think it might just be a case where I believe the ST would've benefited from having a clear cut idea of what they wanted to do with regard to Palpatine and Snoke and how they planned to accomplish that. Just a bit more of a commitment to one course of action, whatever that course of action was, would've improved the ST's villain situation tremendously for me.

I can certainly see your perspective on Palpatine being able to return from the dead somewhat inexplicably as adding to his eerie power and making him more of an incarnate evil to you. There's always been a fantasy element to Star Wars and some amount of the Force as an unexplainable power so how much explanation is called for can sort of vary from person to person. After all, Star Wars is a franchise with a sort of immaculate conception going on that makes more sense from a mythical or fantastical perspective than a straight-up scientific or realistic one. So, when I go with the flow of the story versus wanting an explanation can vary in a way that is hard to give defined rules for, so ultimately it becomes a matter of my subjective taste: what I like versus what I dislike; what works for me versus what fails for me. In terms of ultimate and incarnate evil, though, I think that it is fair to say that Palpatine is the closest thing to a Devil figure that Star Wars has or really ever had, so to some people it may not need to be explained how the Devil is always around to do evil though that does raise the question whether he is really defeated this time or biding time for another inexplicable return.

I think you have a valid point about it fitting Palpatine's modus operandi to sort of use the First Order as a smokescreen for his gaining power much as he does with the Separatists in the PT. I admit that I do have more of an interest in the Separatists of the PT than the First Order of the ST since I could sort of get the ideological appeal of the Separatists a bit more than I did the First Order. Perhaps if the weakness of the Republic in the ST had been explored a bit more before it was blown up by Starkiller Base, then it could be more understandable why the idea of a strong government that can enforce order would have its ideological appeal. The Separatists don't feel like an Empire repeat to me, while the First Order often does though there are some interesting moments of intrigue with Hux in particular.

I haven't done a marathon view of the entire ST yet. That'll probably come when TROS is available on Disney Plus. Perhaps I'll make the "I made Snoke" idea more during a marathon view of the ST.

I think the Palpatine talking in Kylo/Ben's head--being the voice he heard in his head--is an interesting one. I just think I'd have liked to see it developed a bit more. Perhaps when Kylo is kneeling before Vader's helmet, seeking guidance, have the audience hear Palpatine speaking to him. Then we might get a better idea of how Palpatine manipulated Kylo and twisted Kylo into thinking he was communicating with Anakin/Vader the whole time.

It could be interesting to have media such as novels explore things like the creation of Snoke and how much free will or power to make his own decisions Snoke had. Snoke being more like a Dooku type than a straight up puppet would probably be the more promising story as you suggest.

I think with Snoke there was potential for him to work as an interesting character with a compelling backstory who could function as a villain in his own right. I'm just not sure that the ST could capitalize fully on that potential. There is still a chance that more New Canon material like novels could capitalize on that potential more. There's still a lot about the creation of the First Order and the materialization of Snoke on the galactic stage that hasn't been explored or clarified that could be delved into in New Canon novels.

Shadao and HevyDevy like this.
  17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Appreciate the response.
    I know you are open to discussion, I was just being formal I guess.

Just one point I wanted to respond to for now:

This was probably the most disappointing thing about the movie to me... I was hoping the old rumours that we would get Kylo/Ben Solo flashbacks played out in the final film.
    Besides "It was Palpatine" we indeed got little expanding on why Kylo even turned in the first place.
    I still enjoy the film but this was a huge missed opportunity Imo.
    At least there will always be Revenge of the Sith for that type of story, but Adam Driver could really have been utilised a little more here.

On the Palpatine voicing Vader element - I suspect this will be explored in the near future (comics, novel, and I'm hoping relevant deleted scenes).

In the final film there was one moment I forgot about until rewatches - when Kylo touches the Vader mask and tries to disrupt Rey's training we get a couple of flashback moments and Vader's voice saying "Join me". That was likely a small moment showing the type of thing Kylo would hear when he thought he was talking to Vader.
    I'm waiting on the comic to see what else was said, I wish it was in the films too though.
    So far we got confirmation of the fan theory that Snoke (Palpatine) had discussed with Ben that Luke would one day do what Kylo believes happened in the hut (in the TLJ flashbacks). Snoke's voice - "We thought he might..."
    That was kind of validating to read tbh, because I suspected he had said things when planting doubts much like Palpatine claimed to Anakin he "predicted" the Jedi would turn on the Republic - a situation that is of course only proven to somewhat occur because Sidious pushed the situation to a point where it would seem to have happened.

There are little hints at the character motives if you join the three ST films up I think.

Like Han saying "Snoke is using you for your power. When he gets what he wants he'll crush you. You know it is true." kind of echoes with the scene in which Palpatine uses the power of the dyad to rejuvenate himself then throws Ben - who has at this point truly realised to stand by Rey against the Sith - to his apparent demise.

Also Kylo saying to the Vader mask "I will finished what you started..." is very ironic in retrospect. When he helps Rey finish Anakin's job of returning balance. And arguably actually saves a loved one from death like his grandfather never could, from the opposite angle, in sacrificing himself in her place.

I mean there isn't much dialogue to flesh it out but some moments like this are satisfying as a whole story.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  18. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Not really sure what they were thinking with all this but reading what the Aftermath books said and when they were released (in addition to Serkis vague/evasive answers about Snoke) it does make me think they had Palpatine using Snoke as an avatar when Ep 7 was made but didn't intend for him to come back in the flesh ever at that time. Might have left that to be explained just in the books.

19. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Right. Palpatine being Snoke makes no sense. If so, why did he try to get Ren to kill Rey? And why (in the TLJ novel) did he contemplate killing Ren when he’s no longer useful, as Han feared? Why didn’t Snoke take possession of Ren after Ren used the Dark Side to kill
    him?

TLJVD, which is canon, said Snoke was no Sith. But didn’t it also say that Anakin had destroyed the Sith?

As I’ve said from having first seen TROS and had to reconfigure my head canon, Snoke and Dooku parallel Dooku and the Confederacy. They distract and damage the Republics and pave the way for the Empires.

On Star Wars Theory, the host says he felt that Jedi Master Dooku was more powerful than Sidious, with Plagueis using his apprentice’s jealousy as a way to warn him he could be replaced. Anyone else agree?

And Serkis made it seem like Snoke was more powerful than Palpatine. It’d be interesting if Palpatine was less power than Dooku and Snoke (and a fully realized no Mustafar incident Vader) and can still control them.

I suppose in the ST Palpatine has become more powerful than Snoke or Snoke’s clone. But he’s even more physically limited than Snoke and his Imperial Royal Guard are fewer in number and more easily disposed of than the Praetorian Guard. However, after Palpatine drains the Force out of Rey and Ben, I believe he’s the most powerful Force user ever in the GFFA.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  20. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @HevyDevy No worries. I took your comment in a light-hearted way, but just wanted to make it clear that I'm always up for a good discussion with other users on different perspectives and interpretations of Star Wars:)

I agree that more flashbacks to Ben Solo's past might have been helpful in filling in the details of how Snoke tempted him to the Dark Side. I heard some rumors that Rey was initially supposed to see visions/hear voices of Ben's training with Snoke in Maz's castle but I don't know how true those are. I'm not really an expert on all those behind the scenes details. I do think that a scene like that might have worked there since in Maz's basement the space-time continuum seemed to be getting messed with in interesting ways, so a flashback to Ben's training with Snoke could fit in there. I also think it could have worked sometime when Kylo and Rey have their mind-to-mind communications or by having Rey maybe find a diary of Ben's among the Jedi books that sort of chronicles his descent to the Dark Side. So, I think it could have been possible for the ST to include such flashbacks, and that probably would have improved both Snoke's backstory and Kylo's for me.

TROS is my favorite film of the ST but I definitely do think that expanding the "It was Palpatine" idea could have really improved that film and the ST as a whole for me. I do wonder if TROS might have been left with too much to accomplish in that regard and maybe it would've been better to spread more of that type of reveal out over the ST as a whole. I enjoy TROS but it does have sort of a crammed and rushed feel to it as if it is trying to fit too much into its running time, and this might be an example of that. I think that there are some good and interesting ideas in TROS that could have been even better if spread out a bit more across the entire ST, which would also help the ST feel a bit more united in vision for me.

I have to admit that comics aren't really my format, but I'd read a novel about Ben's fall to the Dark Side and I would probably like it if it was done right (or in a way that works for me).

Good catch with the "Join me." I'm not sure if I noticed that. If I did, I don't think I remembered it. Perhaps it is something for me to notice on a re-watch.

I could see finding that dialogue from Han about only wanting Kylo's power satisfying as an echo or foreshadowing. I think for me it was more about Snoke wanting to exploit Kylo's strength in the Force but certainly Palpatine does end up wanting to sort of soak up the power of the Force Dyad with Rey and Kylo. Perhaps if I liked the Force Dyad concept more that'd be more satisfying for me.

I kind of had an inkling that the "I'll finish what you started" line might involve Kylo (and Rey as well) bringing balance to the Force in some way. I do kind of wish the concept of what it means to bring balance to the Force was explored more not just in the ST but across the Star Wars saga. That was one of my favorite parts about TLJ, the lesson Luke gives Rey about the different sides of the Force on the island of Ach-To. I know many found it corny, but for me it did have resonance. I might just be an oddball in my likes and dislikes not only with the ST but with Star Wars as a whole[face_laugh]

HevyDevy likes this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Snoke lacked the enigmatic charisma of Dooku, probably down to Christopher Lee's laconic performance.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  22. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    "I will finish what you started" means wiping out the Last Jedi. That's the most obvious take. Or it might mean wiping out all conflict and "letting the past die" because he would be the last one standing. Or maybe it is balance of the force. I don't know.

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    At the time Kylo said it, I think he did mean something along the lines of wiping out the Jedi or ruling the galaxy through the Dark Side. During TFA, Kylo to me regards Vader only as having failed in being weak enough to turn back to the Light for love of his son. It could also be read as foreshadowing of Kylo bringing balance to the Force in some way or defeating Palpatine. In a way by defeating Palpatine, one could say that Kylo (and Rey) finish what Vader started. I think that was probably the deeper intent of that line. When I saw TFA for the first time, I thought that line was foreshadowing for Kylo's return to the Light and his redemption. It was one of the reasons I thought it was pretty obvious the ST was going for the redemption angle with Kylo.

HevyDevy and cratylus like this.
  24. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    I can't understand the people who hate the redemption story arc. I mean you can hate the prequels as a whole, that makes sense, but the redemption arc is entirely at home in the saga and really it would have been weird to end the whole saga on the note of "well some people are irredeemable, and all their efforts were totally wasted on him and that is where the skywalkers ended in spite of all the prophecies and so forth."

25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    As @devilinthedetails pointed out the literal meaning of the line was referencing Kylo following through on Vader's goals as a Sith, yes.

But watching the whole trilogy it is pretty easy to see it as a double-meaning now. Kylo wanting to be like Vader, and even "finish what (he) started" in actually staying true to the dark side path, becomes very ironic because Kylo/Ben realises he was actually more like Anakin (at the beginning and end of Anakin's life) than he thought. The imposing figure he idolised becomes metaphorically unmasked in Ben's own perception. And Ben actually finishes Anakin's "Jedi" task in helping Rey bring back balance and the Jedi Order (and saving a loved one at no benefit to himself). Succeeding where Anakin actually failed, rather than correcting a misguided perceived "failure" that Palpatine/Snoke convinced him Vader endured.

Eta -
    Additionally "You cannot deny the truth that is your family." "You're so right!"
    has two opposite meanings I think.

These elements also tie into Palpatine telling Rey "the only family you have here is me!" and Rey considering turning, then Ben arriving for morale support.
    Palpatine has "learnt" from his failure, yet is still just using familial bonds as a tool as always. Ben alternatively demonstrates he himself truly has learnt.
    By learning from Anakin's success rather than The Sith's demise.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020