main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Snoke Theories

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Lulu Mars, Aug 6, 2016.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Only asking cos I'm curious, PymParticles, but why would you prefer he NOT be Plagueis?

I honestly am just interested to know...:confused:

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Because I hate the prequels

No, kidding; I've actually turned around on the prequels significantly over the past couple of months. I used to want Snoke to be Plagueis simply because I thought it'd be a fun way to have threads stretching from the PT through the OT to the ST, but the more I think about it now the more contrived it seems to have the reveal be "This dead guy you heard about several films ago but never saw was alive the whole time!" It's also too easy; it's the go-to theory for every other fan. I want to be surprised when it's revealed who he is/where he comes from/what he wants, but it should still make sense and be logically sound in the context of the story they've developed. I definitely don't want it to be an anticlimactic "He's just some guy," kind of thing, though. And I know that's a lot to ask; I don't envy the people who had to come up with his backstory, I just hope it's a satisfying one.

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Totes get it. I actually am almost starting to be the same now. I do still hope he does turn out to be Plagueis, but of late I've realized I'm just as happy if he turns out to be something else entirely-even better, something I didn't expect! I totally get the whole "too easy" thing. The only reason I'd hope he's Plagueis now is mainly for continuity's sake (like you said, tying all three trilogies together), but you're right-it would almost be TOO perfect, you know? And if it was revealed that way, in the theater I'd be like "Yep-I knew it. That makes sense." and the enthusiasm would die there. But if it were revealed as some twist or unexpected thing, the shock value would surely stay with us much longer!

At any rate I just hope there's SOME kind of compelling, and/or surprising story behind him, rather than just some new character shoehorned in as a sort of obligatory Sidious replacement.

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's Plagueis, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the movies don't say it overtly. Like, it might mention that Snoke is a being that managed to "cheat death"; and so we'd get more of an implied Plagueis reveal rather than an overt one. And so it could satisfy us nerds hardcore fans whilst simultaneously not disrupting the story with a shoehorned element from a previous movie.

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

And then we'd all have to argue about who he really is or isn't, and the debates would go on for years. Sounds like perfect fodder for the JC.

6. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    At that point, I'd hope that good ol' Pablo comes through for us with a tweet confirmation.

7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I think at this point it would be moot. I'm hoping Snoke is some weird reincarnation of Gollum, but that's just me.

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  8. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    I'd rather him be something new and interesting. I agree with an earlier post that while the link back to Plaegis would be cool in theory, its everyone's theory and who wants to know whats happening? Not me.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    When the Emperor died his Empire crumbled because it no longer had one vision to guide it. It's possible Snoke is just pretending to be an old, power hungry darksider in order to motivate the First Order. All he could really want is an effective Dictatorship to keep the Galaxy safe from chaos.

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    It stands to reason that with the abundance of Legends stories and plots that recycling them in some way, shape, or form is inevitable.

So like the many many many plots of different Force users throughout the GFFA either in hiding or acting on some level as agents of the Sith or derivations from Bane's era that may have split off rather than be killed off or -- perhaps Bane himself. Would make it easier to draw a connection to Maz since she was floating around 1000 years ago [presuming the Bane story is still Canon enough as I remember it to be]
    To take it 1 step further - whereas Bane was once a Sith he has had 1000 years to develop into Snoke

The Plagueis thing seems unlikely to me. The last thing I feel we need is weakening the relevance of Sidious / Palpatine by turning him into just some cackling old nutso who throws Senate seats around like so many nickels in his pocket. [bonus if you know the reference]

If there is a relationship -- no reason to do much more than mention it a la Snoke: I remember Sidious and Vader and what inevitably led to their downfall. In the farthest reaches of the outer rim I dwelt watching from afar on my backwater planet"
    Then let it be explored in a novel or comic.

Lastly -- I pretty much over the last 20 odd years and living through the PT must admit I have never really been even close with my theories - so you can read all this and pretty much know none of it will remotely come to fruition :p

Ewan Tibbetts likes this.
  11. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    I still think Snoke is a phony but there is some recent evidence to support your theory.

MILD SPOILER WARNING FOR AFTERMATH: LIFE DEBT
    In the canon novel Aftermath: Life Debt there is a flashback to before The Phantom Menace. In it Palpatine is digging up something on Jakku and while talking with a local boy mentions someone who used to live on Jakku before it was a dessert. The consecrated eremite (as he is referred to) was remembered by the residents of the Plaintive Hand Plateau for some yet to be revealed reason. In Legends Lord Vitiate drained a planet of all life once. It's possible the eremite also has that ability and it is his coffin that Palpatine was digging up for some reason.

I'm not too fond of this theory because it feels too contrived and borrows too much from Legends but I thought you might like to hear it.

Darth Basin and episodenone like this.
  12. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not that familiar with Plagueis lore other than what's been explored in the movies, so indulge my oversimplification. :)

Is the theory (that supports Snoke being Plagueis) simply that after being (supposedly) killed, that Plagueis knew he wasn't strong enough to defeat an ambitious Palpatine, so he just bided his time until he found someone strong enough (Ben) to take as an apprentice, and then, voila, we see him as Snoke?

Because I have to admit, I kind of like that. There's an unspoken logic to it (the cheating death thing), and a revenge thing (I'll see your Anakin and raise you his grandson) that's very personal and relatable.

I also like the fact that it was referenced in the PT as a means to a different end, but then would be rehashed as a bit of an ironic twist ("Ha, you think you got the best of me, Sids? Guess again").

Padme501st and Darth Basin like this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The full theory is that Plagueis actually did know how to cheat death and survived Palpatine killing him as a disembodied spirit or something, and so eventually, with both his apprentice and the Chosen One, his two biggest threats, no longer factors, he reemerged in a new body or something calling himself Snoke. That itself is speculated to be either his birth name, the name of someone whose body he possesses or something, or simply a fake name he came up with

Would be a cool reveal, but I doubt it

DARTH_BELO and Darth Basin like this.
  14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Why have introduce a villian then who acknowledges he is weaker than the previous villain?

15. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    you know, ever since that i found out that the sanskrit word for "war" was a desire for more cows, I am beginning to suspect that Snoke's goal is to ultimately bring cows to the Star wars universe. This is a serious theory; we haven't see one bovine in the star wars universe. There is a serious lack of cattle, ranches and possibly meat. Therefore, it stands to reason that everyone in the star wars universe are vegetarians.

Snoke's goal - to convert the star wars population to become carnivores and meat-eaters. Although, thinking back on my prior comment, I wouldn't be surprised if his ultimate plan is to become a kingpin and become a coke dealer. Conquering the galaxy, by having everyone addicted to Snoke's Coke.

Darth Basin and Lulu Mars like this.
  16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I searched the first 2 pages for a straight up Snoke theory thread and the bottom of page 2 goes back to 2013....

So I was just musing about Star Wars as one does... and this came to my mind.
    It came from some theory I read about Snoke that seemed idiotic to me -- but apparently Reddit loves it.
    My theory is unrelated -- but was inspired by that thread.

Snoke is The Son. Yes, I know Anakin supposedly killed him -- but if the Father is to be believed ""My children and I can manipulate the Force like no other." So any on screen death is subject to interpretation.

- They look enough alike -- and it stands to reason the Son as Snoke would look the worse for wear if he indeed had to whip up some means of resurrection.
    - The first 3 letters of Snoke rearranged spell "Son" [hokey and silly - but these writers love inside jokes like that]
    - The Son was legitimately heartbroken when his Father [who represented balance] was killed -- and perhaps Anakin was too much of a pendulum to act as a new incarnation of the Father... but...
    - Ben Solo is obviously stated to be and shown to be stuck between both the Light and the Dark and if Snoke "completes his training" perhaps Kylo Ren will have what is necessary to re-create the Father once and for all, allowing for the Son...
    - to redeem his failure and actions that lead to the Father being killed as well as the Daughter by resurrecting the Father in Ben Solo -- whether by possession or some other wacky way of the Force

- Jakku apparently has some ancient significance -- this correlates to the ancient Family on Mortis or some relation to it
    - Luke has gone back to the first Jedi Temple perhaps because that is the most likely place he believes he can find information on Mortis and the Family that he possibly learns about from Obi-Wan or Anakin's ghosts when he seeks to find out who Snoke is.
    - It might also explain why Palpatine and the Sith didn't seem to pose any threat or real concern from the Family
    - The Son never wielded a weapon that I can recall -- and it's possibly Snoke never uses a light saber either.
    - LFL sure has done, IMHO, a great job so far of connecting different aspects and mediums from all of the New Canon, including "improving" upon some of the ideas that the PT raised but either were never fully explained (The Prophecy) or never fully embraced (midichlorians) so...
    - it stands to reason that something as epic as the Family and Mortis would be revisited and have a lot of significance in tying a lot of the different mediums together on screen

- Snoke wants to kill the last of the jedi - Luke. The last of the Sith presumably is dead. Balance. Then...
    - Ben Solo / Kylo Ren leads the force and the galaxy down the path of the Father's way and The Son has balanced the force and the GFFA en toto.
    - Luke decided to stop trying to train new Jedi. It's not as if force wielders stopped being born after his new jedi order was slaughtered
    - It could very well explain why Luke has that look on his face... he knows he must die to rid the GFFA of the Jedi once and for all and allow the force to be rebalanced by the Son and Ben -- there can be no more jedi/sith orders
    - Rey seems to have wielded both the Dark and the Light and intrigued Snoke --- who could be the Daughter's reincarnation?

I think that I got it all out of my system... but it's food for thought in an otherwise somewhat stale forum -- not a lot of posting I guess because people have other outlets. But let's discuss. I know Snoke = The Son is nothing new -- but I have yet to really read a theory that dives deep -- what do you guys think?
    Will you all give me a big "nice one, episodenone" when it all turns out to be true? [face_beatup]

Padme501st likes this.
  17. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    This is very interesting. Although I haven't thought much about Snoke -- mainly because I'm a bit anti- anything not PT or OT -- it will be interesting to find out who he is (if he is anybody special, that is). I rather like your theory that Snoke is the Son. It would tie a bunch of things together rather nicely if that were the case.

:)

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    *Thread Merge*. This is now the NSA thread to discuss all theories about Snoke - his identity, his plans, his relation to Palpatine, etc. /TCF

19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Palpatine will wipe the floor with Snoke. I find Snoke lame and disappointing.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    C3PO is Snoke...I know it.

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    Maybe Snoke is Creepio wearing someone's skin.

Darth Basin likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Snoke is C3PX.

Darth Basin and Lulu Mars like this.
  23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Snoke is Gollum!

Darth Basin and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He can absolutely be someone unrelated to past events/characters, but I would like to see some sort of connection. I mean, something more than "He was the next evil thing lurking in the shadows".
    Anything at all that gives him that extra dimension.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Just finished Star Wars Aftermath: Life Debt novel so I'm putting a side bet on

... spoiler tags about the first two novels in the Aftermath series
    Snoke being Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax. Taken a liking to by Palpy from Rax's young childhood years as a Jakku survivor in pre-Empire era who seemed to have grown up serving with Palpatine (he even got the "Emperor's Will" medal!), rax emerges post battle of Endor to lead the Empire, purge it of unnecessary deadweight, and he also drops this gem about what will come after:

"This is how it must be. The Empire became this...ugly, inelegant machine. Crude and inefficient. We needed to be broken into pieces. We needed to get rid of those who want to see that old machine churning ineluctably forward. It's time for something better. Something new. An Empire worthy of the galaxy it will rule."

Lulu Mars and Ewan Tibbetts like this.