main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Snow] When is the Last Time You Got Post?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So my area near London has resembled Antarctica since around Wednesday, with both the side roads and pavements encased in ice. This is also the last time my neighborhood got mail delivery. Anyone else missing the postie?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    covered with snow in Lincoln, but postie hasn't missed a beat :)

Refuse collection on the other hand...

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    two ekks for rubbish, post = bills = don't care

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, we missed a recycle pickup on Thursday. Next one isn't til Jan 20. Trash pickup is this coming Wednesday - hopefully they'll make that one.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not had trouble with post, but delays on rubbish collection.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Still no post for me. I spoke to the newsagent who also runs the local PO yesterday and he said the posties have only been doing Special Delivery items in our area due to the ice & snow. He said he hoped things would be back to normal today but as I found this morning things are still a bit slick. I did manage to get to the main road to get to work. The main roads were just wet - no ice.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I think the weather has been affecting my internet also. since the onset of snow I've had poor connectivity and insanely slow page loaidng times.

Hopefully it will imporve once the weather picks up [face_praying]

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Do you use mobile internet by any chance? I was having that problem last week on Thurs and Fri in the mornings and I think it might have been down to mobile phone contention. I use T-Mobile..

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    How slow is standard delivery at the moment?

I'm waiting on something which was supposed to be delivered to my work by last Friday. Website has 'delays for UK delivery' so presumed international would be in the same boat although maybe not as bad because only has one way to go out of UK-Canada rather than UK-UK with snow :p

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hey Amber..
    Depends on where it was going from, I guess. Both Gatwick and Heathrow had lots of delays last week, with Gatwick worse off. Also there would have been road delays from the post office or the business to the sorting hub and then to the airport if it was posted in the southern UK. Scotland has had snow as well but they are used to it there.

Hopefully it won't be as slow as this: Tim sent me a Xmas card well before Xmas. It came today...

11. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Ouch.

I got no clue where it was shipped from, I know the office that billed my credit card is North West London.
    lol I don't think Scotland are used to THAT much snow/cold. I know items this company was shipping to Scotland said that items going there had the worst delays. I guess it could take another 2 weeks before it gets here then.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure NW London would have had delays, both road and airport - not to mention staff who couldn't get to work. If it was shipped prior to last week it should have been OK. I think we got the worst snow on Wed in the London area.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just when things were getting back to normal we've gotten more snow - a couple of inches so far and it's still coming down (though not real heavily). I made it into work but the roads weren't great. I bet our trash pickup doesn't happen today.
    I did get both of my Amazon orders finally though so I'm happy about that.

14. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol sounds like you have our weather....well not the cold part we still have the -20C just no snow.

I'm crossing my fingers that my package turns up soon....I checked the date on the shipping apparently was sent on Dec 31 in standard but have no other tracking details :(

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Hopefully it beat the snow then.

Our snow has pretty much stopped (or turned to rain). Quite a few people in my area of the office are out. (Some are working from home since the schools are closed).

16. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I think it got caught with the snow but not too bad. It turned up at work about an hour ago and since it was supposed to get here either last Friday or earlier it would make sense with the snow (although post here takes a while normally quicker posting something to my mum than it is something in Canada). At least it got here though.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you got it OK. A lot of what fell this morning has melted on the roads and the ride home was a lot easier than the ride in. Also the trash guys came today. I wasn't sure if they would.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Some books I ordered off amazon should have arrived last Friday, still no sign of them. :( And there isn't really that much snow in London...

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The problem is that too many of the public service personal fear for their own safety or use it as an excuse to not go out.
    I'm frankly amazed at how badly trains are affected by this weather, can't be that hard to stick a plough on the front and drive through snow. After all, they did it on steam trains.

I hear some places haven't had rubbish collection for 5 weeks o_O

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My order that was being delivered by Royal Mail was a few days late due to our not getting post. If your area has a post backlog your parcel might be sitting in a sorting office. The order that I had delivered by Home Delivery Network was actually early. Don't forget that if you used the free shipping option that can add a few days to delivery time.

This morning's commute wasn't so bad but it's been chucking down rain since I got up so there were a lot of puddles on the roads. No ice though.

21. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Trains in Canada have problems with the snow. Mind you they have problems running on time or at all anyway.
    But yeah last winter I had to not come into work due to the fact the train I needed to get to work for 9am so it was 6:40am was canceled as was all the trains up to 10am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.