main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC So...about me joining the Army...

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Jun 6, 2020.

1. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Hello there. So, I've made known my desire to join the military. Been trying to lose the weight again but have stalled in progress. Least I thought I did. I haven't talked with a recruiter in a couple years. But I had the sense you could say to try again.

Well, I got ahold of one. We talked on phone, and I took a practice test which I got an 80 on. So now I'm set for this Thursday to take the actual ASVAB. From there we will know. I'm only 1% over on my BMI but that's doable. He gave me tips on how to lose weight. Big one is staying away from soda, including the diet ones. Which sucks, but I got to do it. I had my last Mountain Dew today. Just to remember the taste. Even sweet teas. Basically I just got to drink water. I mean my whole thing holding me back, that I was still overweight. But I've I've seen videos of guys going in bigger than me, and how they lost the weight. In other words it will come off and I will improve on everything. Besides my weight stuff, I have to get all these papers together.

I didn't know what to do though either infantry or something medical. I know I'm no mechanic. He mentioned in passing 68 whiskey, which is a combat medic. Looking it up its the equivalent to an EMT. You have to pass all the EMT stuff and things that go with it which was something I wanted to do years ago so I think I'll mention that to him that's what I'd like to do.

The way he was talking on his phone to his boss it's like they would almost want me to leave in a few weeks if I pass. So...it could very well be I'm joining up soon. But Thursday will be the day to see. I've already been looking at math stuff to help with my scores.

I must say... I'm excited. I am. This will be a huge leap forward and an accomplishment in my life. Lot of ways I don't know what to think. I just don't want to mess this up. So here's looking to Thursday and getting the paperwork done till then.

MasterP, Emperor Ferus, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Please don't do it.

TrandoJedi, Abadacus, Rew and 16 others like this.
  3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Gonna die for Donald Trump to own the libs.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Please don't do it.

5. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Highly recommend waiting until jan 21st, 2021. For uhhh...reasons of safety.

Also take any mechanical/engineering type job you can. When you exit you end up having a skill that is marketable and generally able to work all over the country.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Last Mountain Dew to remember the taste? That’s a creative one

Chewgumma likes this.
  7. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Arlol, joining the military is the worst mistake a person can make. Believe me, I've done it.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Surely one can drink their own piss to do so?

9. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    If you want to join the military, you should go ahead and do so. With COVID still in effect though, you likely won’t get the complete BCT experience.

If you’re unsure on what job you should pursue, you might want to wait to see what your options actually are (odds are that every MOS you qualify for won’t be looking for replacements) unless you do so bad that the only options are the one that are always open (ie infantry). Once you know that, take a day (no more than 1) to research your options and see which (if any) could be a good fit for you before letting your recruiter know your selection(s).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    wobbits and Sarge like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Don’t do this. Find a job that involves international travel.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Good luck!

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The military is an important engine of social mobility for many people. I think there are a lot of undesirable aspects but if it works out for you I hope you can achieve your aspirations.

Luke02 likes this.
  13. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Congratulations Wocky. I think this is your worst take yet.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Why? Because of conservatives' extremely misguided version of "patriotism"? Real patriotism means supporting your country only when it does the right thing, and right now America is very much headed in the wrong direction.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Before you decide anything, please watch a movie called Born on the Fourth of July. It's about a young optimistic patriotic soldier who goes to Vietnam and comes back a paraplegic and the mental toll it takes on him over the next decade or so of his life. Ultimately he finds purpose in becoming an anti war activist. It's very eye opening. There are no guarantees you won't come back like that.

Also do some research about the benefits you are currently being promised. A lot of guys never got that bonus, GI Bill, or medical coverage. A lot of non-citizens who served during the height of the recent wars who were promised citizenship still haven't gotten it. Go on other forums (Reddit is a good start) and research thread after thread that detail the various ways the military does not have your back once you serve.

I had been on the fence myself. But at this point I'm about 99% sure I won't do it (up from being about 90% sure I won't do it). You see the way these cops are acting on our own streets, what's the difference doing that same thing in another country to another population of people? For what, corporate interests? I'm all for defending our country, but we haven't been in a conflict that did that since WWII.

At the very least, please don't do it under Trump. If you are absolutely dead set on doing it, please wait until he is out of office. If he gets voted back in, then don't do it and wait another election cycle to decide then.

Just become a civilian EMT for now, you'll get what you are looking for by doing that on your own streets. Move to a big city or municipality if you want. You'll get a lot out of it. I'm getting an EMT certification myself right now and intend to become a paramedic later on.

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Man, it sure does suck seeing another person get sucked into this country's version of patriotism.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Would you support and defend the Constitution, including upholding the rights of others and protecting the lives of others, including those you may disagree with, even if it meant disobeying orders, even if it meant going against President Trump and other conservative military members, politicians, and citizens? Think long and honestly, reflecting on this. It should be a simple one-word answer.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    It's one thing to fight and die in a just war...in that case you can say the sacrifices are worth it. With our current political leadership though, it's much more likely we'd end up in an unjust war, killing people for a lie.

I had also been considering joining...specifically the Navy. But like I said, I no longer have any confidence in the moral leadership of this country. I'm sure the amount of personal risk to myself would be small even if we did get into a war, and I'd probably be fine financially as well...but I have no intention of going overseas to fight and kill for a lie.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with the notion of... why not become a civilian EMT?

Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Please don't do it.

DarthPhilosopher and SuperWatto like this.
  22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I know we have differing political views on things, so we disagree on ideology and stuff. However, I'll clear things up.

This isn't about patriotism. This isn't about Trump. This isn't about being a good conservative. This isn't about my family history and lineage.

Yes, I want to serve my country. Yes I'm conservative. Yes I want to honor my family in a way.

But those aren't the reasons.

It's about me.

10 in years ago, I wanted to join the marine corps. That was during Obama's tenure, even though I didn't like him, I would of still served under him. But I didn't know whether to do that or college. I couldn't decide. I sought advice and followed it. So I did nothing, I entered the work force.

But, years later I think that was the wrong advice. Once the church ended I knew not what to do. I was thinking and praying of what next. I had this strong pull that I should of gone in. I couldn't shake it. I started praying of whether I should have. Not praying I could get in, I thought it was too late. That it wasn't possible and missed my chance.

But then I got that letter out of nowhere from the Air Force. Suddenly, a spark ignited in me. A push to do this. Like the Lord was saying that I had another shot. Thus this journey.

If I can get in and pass, I'll feel I accomplished something in my life. That I am not some idiot, or worthless. That I'm more than just a smart kid with glasses who knows trivial trivia and can recite memes.

My dad was always proud of his service during Vietnam. But he never made light of anything, especially with what happened when stationed in West Germany. But I'm not gung ho like him. I didn't grow up in a military family like he did. But I always showed interest, so he hoped I carry on the tradition. But he never came out and asked me to do so. Never. Now that his mind is gone and he's decaying due to Alzheimer's...its something I can do in memory of him.

But I know of stories. The problems with military treatment and stuff. Like waiting at the VA for hours only to be told come back tomorrow...for months or years on end.

I understand the risk I'm taking. It's not something light. If I get to serve, then I get married and have kids, and one of my kids want to join...we will have multiple talks. I'll tell them the truth, no sugarcoating anything. But in the end, it would be their decision. Difference though is I'd get them ready for it.

If I'm wounded, so be it. If I die, so be it. I know I'll be with my Lord. But I'm willing to do it. I feel called to and I will follow it. I want to grow as a person, to know my Lord more, to make a difference in people's lives. I can't do that sitting at home. I know I'm writing, but I can do that while in too. And predominantly, if I get this MOS, I'll be a certified EMT of which I could be after my service as I wanted to work in the medical field long time ago. In essence, I'm more there to save lives than taking, which is fine by me.

However, if this fails, if I don't get in or flunk out, if it isn't meant to be, then fine. I'm willing to accept that and accept I was wrong. That this was nothing but a fantasy I failed in again. But at least I could say I tried. Trying doesn't always successfully execute the task, but I would if done it. I'm just hoping I can pass. That I can do it. Lord willing I can.

But I thank you all for the concerns. I'll keep you posted either way. Failure or success.

But I gotta try.

wobbits and Sarge like this.
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Nothing says "love thy neighbor" more than going to a foreign country and shooting brown people for oil.

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Like anything in life, the reality often falls way short than the idea you have in your head. Any number of things can happen. And if you are permanently injured, it will change every aspect of your life, every hour to hour activity you do. You might think you can handle it, that people will be there to support you at all times. But just think of the reality of it. It might not be worth it. Please, watch that movie I mentioned.

That's a lot of blind patriotism and faith in the institution to think if you don't serve than you are worthless. Maybe take a step back from that and just reevaluate it after removing that thought process. And if you ultimately decide to do it, again, just do the research before hand. Go on other forums and read just how accomplished other guys who served really feel after they finish their time in.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  25. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Arlon. I promise you it is not fulfilling. They will use you in whatever way they want, and you will either put up with it for 4 years and get out, miserable at the years of your life wasted, or you will stay for 20, and you will leave feeling empty. You will wonder why you don't feel like what you're doing was worth doing. You will feel like that because for the most part, you'll be in the dark about everything. You will be told to go here and do this, and you won't know why. They won't tell you why. You might be told to kill people. You might be told that they're the enemy. Maybe you won't ever find out that they were innocent, but maybe you will. Chances are, you'll be fine with doing it in the moment, surrounded by your "brothers", each of you so brainwashed that you do it gleefully. But they won't be there when you come home and you lie awake at night, thinking about the life you took, or about the horror you saw, unable to sleep. Maybe eventually unable to live with yourself.

Or maybe you'll enjoy it. And you won't think about anything critically. You'll eagerly do all those things, and you'll love doing it. And at the end of the day, you'll still be broken. You'll still lie awake. You won't realize you were a tool of imperialism. It will be frustrating, and you won't even know why. You will feel abandoned, after you've been discharged and left on your own, with far fewer opportunities than they promised you. Your hearing will be impaired, along with your back and your knees. And that's if you're lucky. Maybe you'll lose a limb, or an organ, or part of your face. And they'll give you a piece of cheap metal and say it means something. And you'll believe them. But it won't make you whole, and you won't know why.

But you're going to do this. You're going to buy into it. And I truly feel sorry for you. You're being conned. you're the mark. The only thing that's going to come out of this is suffering, whether your own or what you inflict on others, or what you help someone else inflict on others. And that is so sad to me.