main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So does the new announcements pretty much close the book on legends ever getting continued

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Nov 9, 2017.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe you should be directing this towards the person that keeps generating these threads.

2. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Holy broad brush Batman! I’ve seen a lot of exagerrations and silly comments this week, but “old EU got the characters right, New EU gets the characters wrong” has to be the grossest generalization of them all. Even if I agreed with the basic sentiment (and I don’t), that still a ridiculous and, dare I say, fanboyish extreme to go to.

BigAl6ft6, V-2 and Stymi like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Painting with a broad brush is fun though.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    https://twitter.com/TDenningauthor/status/890345438125187072

Found this tweet by Denning from July.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I like the "desire to be different" coupled with the common complaint that the sequels are just rehashes of the originals.

Oh how I loved the Fel Empire.

6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Despite being from 2 different universes, I can't shake the feeling that the Knights of Ren and the Imperial Knights are somehow related. If they ever continue Legends after Crucible, there could be a ruthless Knights of Ren group that the Fel Empire "redeems" and takes in to reform as the Imperial Knights.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would love to get more on the Fel Empire but not certain if the new trilogy would have done much with them. Dagger of Mortis, the Monoliths, maybe something from SOTJ, a second Killik/Chiss war, etc. would be my guesses. Maybe something with the Imperial Knights.

SpecForce Trooper and kalzeth like this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't have any faith in the Denning trilogy or SOTJ coming out, but I want plot summaries at least!

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here. Fan-fic writers and or myself will take care of the rest.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    There was that short story from Insider that Golden wrote just before the Disney purchase, that had Jaina and Jag finding some ancient Jedi holocron and then being attacked by some strange cultist before being rescued by the Hutts. It sure seemed like that was setting up for whatever would have come after Crucible.

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

I can agree with some of the sentiments here. I especially dislike the direction they ultimately take Luke and Han's characters. As I see it, without going into reasoning, Luke is a moral coward and Han is a dead beat dad TFA. It's boring.

Oh and Luke seems a bit crazier in the pre ESB stories.

I would also agree with you about Hobbie.

However, there are some improvements in the new canon. Rebels is awesome as is Rogue One. The Empire, IMO, is now more clearly aligned with what GL originally imagined for it. Vader is powerful.

kalzeth likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I pointed this out before but Hobbie died in 1979 when they filmed it, it just got cut. But the original intention from the people who made Empire was always Dead Hobbie.

13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    If you like the Imperials being just a buncha flat baddies then it's a pro I guess. We had characters like Roan Fel, Thrawn, Pellaeon, Jagged Fel, Ysanne Isard, Treis Sinde; varying morals often pertaining to their era. Even Imperials during Palpatine's time were quite diverse. Even Stackpolian baddies were much more interesting than the nonthreatening idiots in Rebels.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    No. Thrawn and Isard were flat out baddies.

Thrawn was a hypocritical SOB in Legends.

What I meant was that in Legends there was a lot of support for the Empire, especially in the Core Worlds. The New Republic was liberating worlds like Coruscant, Brentaal, and Kuat when it was not clear that these worlkds really wanted to be liberated. They seemed to be like the Empire, and this made the New Republic look like it was forcing itself on some worlds. By the time you get to the Second Galactic Civil War and Legends you have to the wonder if the NR/Alliance is a better than the Empire.

The Empire is quite clearly not a popular regime in canon. By the end of Legends, it seemed they were almost arguing for benevolent despotism....Which I suppose is great until you know,....the malevolent despot takes over.

Daneira likes this.
  15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I never said Thrawn wasn't bad. Just a different kind of bad. And "less bad Empire, less good Rebellion" will always be a pro in my book. Rogue One was on the right path. Kiddie morality should stay in the past, IMHO. After 30 years Star Wars should grow.

Daneira and kalzeth like this.
  16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah but you should not be wondering if the supposed good guys are actually bullies.

17. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    [face_dunno]
    Personal preference, really.

18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You mean like General Draven?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    No, the New Republic/Galactic Alliance as a whole. As I mentioned above, some planets were forcibly "liberated" in Legends.

Then there was the Second Civil War which occurred because the Alliance could not let members go their own way.

In new canon, the New Republic is a popular movement, and sources have stated it is smaller than the Empire/ Old Republic because it did allows many planets to go their own way. Heck, it even allows the pro First Order planets to secede peacefully.