main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph So I slacked on my comics for a while...wth is going on [spoilers]?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by FlareStorm, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I stopped reading just around the end of Siege/Beginning of the Heroic Age with Marvel, and end of Blackest Night/New Krypton with DC

I got a batch, and I'm totally lost

Spider-Man's ex-girlfriend is MJ and they almost got married? Ok...some of that stuff got erased during Brand New Day. Confusing as to what got erased. Nobody knows his identity? Except the 4 Avengers teams he's on, and now the FF

Human Torch died. K, I read it...its like nobody cares. Now they are Freedom Foundation Force and changed costumes. Does anyone care?

There's three or four Avengers teams. Wolverine is still on all of them, in addition to all the X-Teams. Spider-Man is following this pattern

All that stuff with Superman and New Krypton is done right? I found it really boring. Now Superman is walking the world and I've heard thats pretty boring too

Batman died in Final Crisis and was replaced with Dick Grayson and Robin IIIXVI. But for some reason Wayne just traveled through time, and is back and made Batman, Inc. BATMAN INC? That sounds really lame!

I haven't even looked into the X-Men, I'm kinda scared to. And who's in the JL now?

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Apparently, One More Day/Brand New Day only really did two things, it erased the Peter/MJ marriage but not thier relationship. Basically she got cold feet on the wedding day when she realized his commitment to being Spider-Man would always come before their relationship. Also it erased everyone's memory of who he is. MJ was the only one who still knew. He then turned around and told the FF and the New Avengers
    Besides, Spidey and the FF? No, not really. It all looks like the most blatant set up for a future "He's not really dead!" event that I've seen in quite a while.
    Wolverine and Spider-Man are both on The Avengers and New Avengers but that's where it stops. Secret Avengers and Avengers Academy are web and claw free.
    Age of X has been pretty interesting so far (another alternate reality, this time it's where mutants are even more persecuted!) but other than that nothing major has happened since Second Coming.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My respones below:

Human Torch died. K, I read it...its like nobody cares. Now they are Freedom Foundation Force and changed costumes. Does anyone care?

* It's Hickman, you really should - guy's one of the best new writers in ages, if he can just bring his character work up to the level of his ideas and cncepts, he'll be stunning.

All that stuff with Superman and New Krypton is done right? I found it really boring. Now Superman is walking the world and I've heard thats pretty boring too

* The Luthor story by Cornell is the best Superstory being told right now and will be coming to a head in Action #900.

Batman died in Final Crisis and was replaced with Dick Grayson and Robin IIIXVI. But for some reason Wayne just traveled through time, and is back and made Batman, Inc. BATMAN INC? That sounds really lame!

* Nope, it really isn't - seriously reconsider, this is the biggest change to Batman since Miller and just as that move was needed then so is this one needed now.

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks Lando, that made sense about Spidey and MJ, I guess. I really dont like it though.

I'll have to check out the Luthor stuff, thats in Action Comics right? I love Luthor

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also of note in Hickman's brilliant FF run is that - buried under all of the circumstance of Johnny's death - the above human capacity geniuses that inhabit this series have finally begun the process of curing Ben's ability to control his power after half a century of non-development. It's a great move after eons of 'trapped as a monster' stories have been recycled to death.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, it's Action 890-899, with a crossover with Secret Six #29 or #30 (I think). First 6 issues will be collected in Superman: Black Ring hardcover first then, some time, paperback. The SS crossover is in Secret Six: Reptile Brain, the rest plus Action 900 onwards? Unknown.

And yeah, there is much to like about Hickman's FF, there's also links to his other series SHIELD and Secret Warriors. Both are well worth reading.

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    SHIELD is awesome. It's like Marvel's version of Planetary. If you ever wanted to see a time-traveling Nikola Tesla, Leonardo da Vinci fly to the Sun and back or Galileo fight Galactus this is the book for you.

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Fantastic four is one of the best comic books on the market right now. You should go to your local comic shop and buy all the ff that Hickman has writen.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    You can pick up pretty much anything Hickman has written for Marvel for the past 2 years and it'll be golden. Secret Warriors just had a game changer of an issue that has inspired me to go back and re-read that entire series.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Brilliant wasn't it? I read #25 and I was "crap! this ain't going to end well, new mysteries, plots and with 3 issues left" and then I read #26....

11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The Batman stuff is essentially the reason comics exist in the first place. It is the only way you could tell a story like that. From the dawn of time to the far off future, all about one man and how he
    just
    will
    not
    quit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.