main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So if the EU was still going right now where do you think they would be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AvarandElzarsittininatree, Apr 16, 2022.

1. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I would disagree about a few of those being Legends, but it's interesting to see them all listed out like that. What's "Graphics," from 2016?

AusStig likes this.
  2. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Funnily enough Pablo said the same thing when someone asked him about it. It’s a reference book that I think only came out in the UK.

It makes me wonder if they’ll put out some kind of compilation once the game is inevitably discontinued. If I remember correctly Galaxies released some kind of massive compendium when they finally shut down but it might have been exclusively digital.

I mentally excise the cartoon but keep the tie-ins to account for all the TCW references in non-TCW EU works. Marvel included Son of Dathomir in their Legends comics collections so I’m fine with it being in both canons. Afaik the Story Group never made a ruling one way or the other on Season 7 but officially the first six seasons are part of both continuities so I don’t know why the last season wouldn’t be as well, it’s part of the same show.

Aren’t we all “Legends people”?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    RogueWhistler likes this.
  3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Ok the people in those legends fan groups that intentionally tried to give that book a high Amazon ranking.

Perfectly fine to support something that is legally being sold. But the people in those groups were a little boneheaded to do what they did for a book that wasn't being legally sold to customers.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The DK books Star Wars in 100 Scenes and the first edition of Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know also pertain to Legends, despite August 2014 and September 2015 release dates respectively. (The second edition of Absolutely Everything is canon-only.)
    Note that there was also a Star Wars Graphics: The Force Awakens edition released in the UK that is fully canon. Be careful not to confuse the two!

iFrankenstein likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don’t think Supernatural Encounters will be on Amazon (or be sold at all).

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Man, Rebellion is so good. I need toget that on the table again.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm pretty sure I remember him saying that was his original intention.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Force:_Invincible#Development

Looks like the source is the Essential Reader's Companion.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    The Reader's Companion does indeed say that. No clue where the other story came from.

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I read the passage-Denning said something about writing it as a sort of detox from the darkness and sad tone of Invincible. I’d have to look for the quote.

We do know that Jacen was planned to die from the get go.

“Author Troy Denning initially proposed an ending to Invincible that included Jacen flow-walking to the time of Anakin Solo's final mission in The New Jedi Order: Star by Star (2001), to corrupt Tahiri to be his apprentice. During Jacen's final duel with Jaina, he would have conjured up an image of their mortally wounded brother, Anakin, to vex her. However, by reaching into the past, he would have made contact and switched places with Anakin. The events of the past would not have been altered; the body in the past would be a disguised Darth Caedus, while Anakin would have been transported to the future and resuscitated by Jaina. Ultimately, this idea was not explored beyond just being suggested in the outline.[2

This is more or less what I said. Except I’ve also read that denning actually wrote the Anakin time travel/resurrection ending for himself.

(Personally I think it’s an atrocious idea, but it goes to show that Denning and perhaps other writers were very much miffed they had to work with Jacen as a character and not Anakin).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  10. To enjoy the EU more in my opinion you need to Read first all the different "Origin Stories" like for example the Obi Wan Origin is in the Jedi Apprentice Novels, Palpatine Origin is in the Darth Plagueis Novel and the Darth Bane Novels are like a Prequel to Darth Plagueis to enjoy Darth Bane more you need to read Tales of the Jedi and play the KOTOR/SWTOR Games so you can be more familiar with the Old Republic Era, there is also the Legends Han Solo Origin in the Young Han Solo Trilogy Novels, Jango and Boba have their own saga too for Jango Origin you need to read the Open Seasons Comic and play the Bounty Hunter Game then you need to read the Young Boba Fett Novels for Boba Fett Origin, for Darth Maul Origin you should have to read the Wrath of Darth Maul and maybe the other Maul Novels like Shadow Hunter or Maul Lockdown i think the EU is much better if you know these Stories i think they add more depth to later Stories it is not mandatory to read them but i think you will enjoy the EU more the EU was like a Cinematic Universe or a Reading Cinematic Universe all before Marvel and their MCU

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Killing off Mara was one of the biggest mistakes. Was Denning alone responsible for this or was it a decision by higher ups?

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

12. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I suspect more than just him. But the thing was they needed a big death so solidify Jacen going dark, and with Han, Leia and Luke unkillable, Mara was basically the only option, her or Tenel Ka I guess.

AusStig likes this.
  13. I wish we got a Video Game during the Je'daii Order Era

14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    In this case, i would have prefered for Tenel Ka to bite the dust and in the case Jacen survives, having Danni Quee as a part of his redemption arc (with a later potential romance between them)

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Nom von Anor, AusStig and Mira Grau like this.
  15. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I agree on this actually.

AusStig and Darth Caliban like this.
  16. I would have liked to see Games during Tales of the Jedi or Dawn of the Jedi Eras imagine an RPG Games like KOTOR but during those Eras and the most Futuristic Game in the Legends Timeline is Jedi Academy i would have liked to see a Game during the Yuuzhan Vong War or Legacy of the Force Star Wars Episode VII Shadows of the Sith was originally going to be an adaptation of Legacy of the Force with Ben Skywalker and the cancelled Darth Maul Game was going to be set during the Legacy Comics Era maybe after the Comics Darth Krayt Resurrected again i think would have made sense that the Darth Maul Game was a Sequel to Legacy Darth Talon was still survived the Legacy Comics and who knows if the Maul of the Game was the Original, a Clone or a Descendant i think he was the Last Two options

I wish Hapans appear in SWTOR i think they mention them but they dont appear

I think Han Solo deserved to had his own Game

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2023
  17. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The problem (one of the problems) was that they wrote the early books such that only killing Tenel Ka or Allana would have been effective in solidifying him going dark, but then they didn't do that. They created a situation where they could have their cake and eat it too, because they could have had him cross his Tenel Ka line but be ultimately unwilling to cross his Allana line. What makes it worse is that he basically turns on Tenel Ka in the next book anyway.

18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah it was set up so he NEEDED to kill Tenel Ka or Allana, to be a Sith. Put then they killed Mara, just cause? It mostly was motivation for Ben, but then it went no where.

Riv_Shiel and Darth Caliban like this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They couldn’t have him kill any of the big three, and Ben was supposed to be the protagonist. This limited their options to Tenel Ka and Allana-ironically killing a lover or a child would have solidified Jacen as an irredeemable monster in a way I think even killing Mara did not.

AusStig likes this.
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would say he was not really ever a Sith.
    I also think Ben could have redeemed him or maybe fought smart, not what ever Jaina was doing.

21. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Okay this topic discussed where the EU might have moved towards storywise... I want to add a question for all of you:

What ART do you think would we have gotten, had the EU continued?

Cover art, illustration, character depictions? Anything specific aside known cancelled works?

I was kinda hoping for a Throne of Balance vision depiction in a guidebook or somesuch with Allana, the Throne and surrounded by friends. Possibly half dark/light to account for both outcomes.

PS: Storywise... given above was discussed Jacen's sacrifice options, like Tenel Ka or Allana instead of Mara. Yeah it would have made sense but I hate that thought. Why not have Jacen sacrifice Ben Skywalker? He went Dark Man to not have Luke become one. And that meant to protect Ben, his Jedi Padawan, for if anything happened to Ben, Luke would go nuts. Even if Ben went darkside, Luke would try to redeem him, not go nuts. So anything with Ben, so long alive, worked for the initial plan. But if the Sith sacrifice demanded Ben as a sacrifice, Luke may have personally gone after Jacen... close to the dark side maybe, but he would not have killed him, maybe not liked redeeming him, but Luke could have captured him alive.
    Imagine that future. Jacen captured and prisoner of the Jedi trying to redeem him longterm (Revan style?)
    Or Tenel Ka could use Dathomiri magick to revive him and keep him.

And another What if: What if the EU would have tried to write itself out of the LOTF/FOTJ character assassination debacle and attempted to use the Kemp clone angle subverting the entire storyline to, with a third or more Kemp stories to turn LOTF/FOTJ on its head and bring dead characters back?

We all joked about the Jacen was a clone, the real one is elsewhere kept busy/imprisoned. Or about how Chewie could return from death for the ST to happen. Or how clones of Mara, Lumiya, etc. get into play given their originals are killed off. Or even how Anakin Solo might return. Or how ridicolous out of character some people behaved that they must have been already replaced.

Thrawn kept Palpatines gene databanks alive and experimented even with cloning Forceusers in the UR. The Chiss expected massive deathtolls should any UR danger get loose or the Vong invasion get worse than initially. Maybe they collected more up to date DNA samples all the time secretly, even from the next generation of heroes and others. Some taken during the Shadow Academy Crisis or whenever they had been kidnapped or imprisoned somewhere?

If Thrawn survived his death as in @Sinrebirth 's Formbi headcanon, and secretly continued to protect the galaxy, he could believeably have kept recruiting important people to his cause at various points in the timeline. Maybe even replacing some by a clone so their absence is not noticed. Or, trying to clone them for his cause if they refuse his offer or are unable to be asked without risking his operation.
    So in part the GFFA has an imposter crisis where people are replaced in secret, but not with malicious intent. If someone were to stumble upon this and follow the trail of breadcrumbs, he might uncover more clones and try to unveil the conspiracy. The galaxy goes bananas with too many important people replaced and absent maybe.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Someone should try to commission fan art work for this, its something I’ve wanted to this day. Beyond that? I expect you’d get more art in the guide books-I like Chris Trevas art so I think we’d have gotten more portraits of major characters and depictions of events in the books and comics.

23. There are some Stories in the EU that were left unfinished for example Dawn of the Jedi there are winks of a continuation the Qui Gon Comic Jedi the Dark Side Qui Gon briefly leaves the Jedi Order to find himself after losing his Padawan Xanatos, Sword of the Jedi Trilogy we might have seen the Origin of Fel Empire and more connections to Legacy Comics there are many unexplored years between Fate of the Jedi/Crucible and Legacy Comics that deserved to be expanded more, the Post Darth Bane and Pre Darth Plagueis Era with Bane Sith Darth Zannah deserved to have her own Story, Post Dawn of the Jedi and Pre Tales of the Jedi Era had a lot of potential i would have liked to see the Hundred Year Darkness in a Comic or Novel i also wanted to learn more about Marka Ragnos and Freedon Nadd i want to know why the Sith species split from the Je'daii Order

AusStig and darklordoftech like this.
  24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They found a way to make Flight of the Falcon fit?

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    This is an interview from 2014 and could give some insight into where Denning/editorial would take Star Wars next