main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So if the EU was still going right now where do you think they would be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AvarandElzarsittininatree, Apr 16, 2022.

1. I am intrigued with the character of Daegen Lok and what could have been he looked like he was going to create a Dark Side Organization before the Sith Order or Ajunta Pall existed maybe Rajivari would have joined him maybe Xesh would have been one of the First Jedi even one of the Founders of the Jedi Order in Legends

I would have liked to see some EU Stories to be adapted to Manga just like in the New Canon with Lost Stars or the Leia Novel imagine Tales of the Jedi, Dark Empire or the Thrawn Trilogy in Manga

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
    AusStig and darklordoftech like this.
  2. This is how the Star Wars Episodes are divided in Legends for me
    Prequels 1,2 ,3
    Original Trilogy 4,5,6
    New Jedi Order 7,8,9
    Legacy of the Force 10,11,12
    Legacy Volume 1 Comics 13,14,15

3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    I feel NJO can be at least two trilogies, easily, if not three.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    There are 19 books and at least 2 are decently long. You could get 21 movies if one wanted.

but you could do it in three movies. 1. Mostly VP, with Tahiri in place of Danni (as in captured). 2. Start with Myrky mission, then Jacen traitor is a-plot with Jania DJ as be plot (abridged of course). End with them going to find ZS. 3. Start with them finding ZS. Then mostly just TUF.

5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think 6 movies are kind of the minimum.
    1. On Vector Prime
    2. On Tahiri and Anakin
    3. Star by Star, ending the first triolgy on the darkest point, like ROTS
    4. Dark Journey and Traitor, bits of Borleais
    5. Formation of the GA, resurgence, Alpha Red, Zonama Sekot
    6. Unfifying Force

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Anakin doesn't need a movie to himself. His main purpose is to be heroic and then die as a bait and switch. I have him be heroic in VP (also why Tahiri is captured). the GA does not matter, at all. The resurgence could be covered in DJ, same with Alpha Red. In fact having Jaina be involved with Alpha Red would lead to a better story as it could form part of her DJ arc. ZS can be covered in passing.

You could do 6. but if you just go bare bones, you can do it in 3.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think Anakin needs a movie build up for his death to work. Kind of makes the difference between him being a "sacrifical lamb" and a "sacrifical lion" to quote tv tropes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    True. To me you build him (and Jacen) up in movie one. Then have Anakin be heroic and a leader in the opening of movie 2, then BAM dead.

I don't see making him a lamb to be a major detriment to the over all story. A lion is better, but would be good to see 20+ movies for NJO.

9. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The "sequel trilogy" version of the NJO would be constructed completely different from the "book series" version. You lose a lot of good stuff - especially the Anakin buildup that really made it land the way it did. If you want to keep moments like that having the same impact, it has to be done as a long format (book series, multi-season TV show, long movie series) - not as Saga episodes told with a balance to the previous entries. I do believe there is a way to do a good version of the NJO condensed to 3 movies, but you have to build around that format and not be married to everything good we got in the book version. That said, I wouldn't want it - I prefer new stories to adaptations of things I liked the first time.

AusStig likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    An HBO style series is probably the best way to adapt it (really its the best way to adapt most EU works). You could probably do an NJO series assuming budget wasn't an issue with anywhere between three and nine seasons. I'd say six would be the best.

Legacy of the Force and DE work best I think as film series actually, DNT and FOTJ as TV shows (DNT would last only two maybe three seasons). Legacy would require a TV show that had at least 7 seasons, if not over ten.

The Hand of Thrawn Duology and Crucible work as stand alone films, most Bantam stuff(barring the thrawn trilogy itself) lend themselves well to single films as well. Or very short TV shows. (As in a single season).

Darth Plagueis is interesting given the timespan it covers, it could be done as either a three- and half-hour long film, two or three films with long runtimes or a TV series. The Bane trilogy works as a series of films-given its smaller cast of characters.

AusStig likes this.
  11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    HBO would love NJO. Just add in some sex scenes and it is made for them.
    Bane would be interesting as a tv show since only Bane is the constant.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I mean there are at least six scenes in Destiny's Way that have a "fade to black". Its got violence galore-just the sex is implicit.

ColeFardreamer and AusStig like this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    1. Vector Prime
    2. Balance Point
    3. Conquest/Rebirth
    4. Star by Star
    5. Dark Journey/Traitor/Rebel Dream
    6. Rebel Stand ending on Battle of Ebaq 9
    7. Force Heretic, likely cutting the Ssi-Ruuvi middle
    8. The Final Prophecy
    9. The Unifying Force

I feel that's the best way to trim it and ensure we have a good spread of personal moments/space battles.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Don't reply to these.. do not reply to these... do not... ah kark it...

You gave me some very vivid images of an HBO style adult themed SW NJO show right there... loving that! "A Game of Galaxies"?
    Would it utilize flashbacks to peaceful times and past shenangians like Nom Anor in Crimson Empire, YJK, etc.?

Supposedly one would televise the full NJO, including comics, shorts, storyhooks, guidebook intel, all we got. How many episodes/seasons would that be? A book per episode does not work. Some need several at least. Lets for funs sake try to figure that out. I guess the Hardcovers would be season breaks.
    Thus 4 seasons total, with 1-3 episode arcs per book, hardcover season finales being 3 episode arcs for sure. Given how full the first year is opposed to the second or third, seasons are not all the same length then... unless we fill them up with aforementioned shorts and guide intel etc.

Season 1: 16 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime - 2 episode Opener-movie
    Boba Fett: A Practical Man - 1 episode inkluding: "Revenants" — Star Wars Tales 18 - intercut with Boba Fett: A Practical Man or as framing story with the short being a flashback after it
    Chewbacca - 1 episode
    Invasion: Refugees & Invasion: Rescues & Invasion: Revelations intercut with Dark Tide and Agents of Chaos etc. as paralell storyline/arc and where it meets the main heroes, thus maybe adding an episode to account for that space in those arcs
    The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse - 2 episodes
    "Hive of the Infidel"—Star Wars Gamer 8 - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: Balance Point - 3 episodes

Season 2: 18 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Recovery - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth - 2 episodes
    Emissary of the Void - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - 4 episodes - Mid-seasonfinale

The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey - 3 episodes including "The Apprentice"—Star Wars Gamer 8
    The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand - 2 episodes

Season 3:18 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Traitor - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way - 4 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: Ylesia - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant - 2 episodes
    "Equals & Opposites" — Star Wars Tales 21 - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee - 2 episodes
    Or Die Trying - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion - 2 episodes
    The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy - 1 episode
    The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force - 3 episodes

oldroughnready and AusStig like this.
  15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    You just got consumed by the darkside.

Darth Caliban and ColeFardreamer like this.
  16. oldroughnready

oldroughnready Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2023
    I think there would have been a way of keeping the Legends EU going. Whatever Denning thought of Legacy wouldn't have guaranteed that it would be retconned or Infinity'd. And from what I understand the Maul game would have used a relative or clone. IIRC it was more about the look of Maul and Talon than their characters. Any other discrepancies with Legacy and the Denningverse would have been smoothed out with an Essential Guide, which is what had been done for years. So I don't think there'd be any reason for the EU to fizzle under the weight of its own contradictions unless people stopped reading.

That being said... it was getting harder to make new stories about the Big Three. I think there would be ways for Lucas to make his sequels... but in all honesty I think those should have been made back in the 80s and 90s if he really wanted to bring back the cast in any role beyond a passing of the torch. We got Indiana Jones and Thrawn instead, so I'm not too disappointed.

I think a Lucas Sequel could have worked in 2015, but best to set it after Cade and have a clear sandbox. Have the Big Three as force ghosts, but I don't need to see their deaths. If Lucas wanted to do it earlier, then I could see a wipe for Post-ROTJ works in the vein of TCW. I'd imagine that Old Republic material would be kept on until there was a major Old Republic project, although that era is a little more durable thanks to its thousands of years. In general, I would expect to see the same thing happen to the post-ROTJ era -things play out over hundreds and thousands of years rather than direct continuation. It would allow for more creativity and makes it easier to hold the continuity together. Maybe some multi-media projects to set up a little era. More collaborations between books, comics and games - it always pained me to see Dark Horse and Del Ray seemingly be unable to work together like with NJO. A new movie or show could help with that, but it'd be nice to see them get along without any pushing and shoving.

I can't really speculate much on what would be done if the EU continued. I guess after Legacy they could do some books around Cade, the new government, a new threat and a new Jedi Academy, etc. Every era of Star Wars media is reflective of the times...not sure how that would play out for the 2010s and 2020s other than to look and see what we did get! So yeah... don't know what new thing the post-Legacy books would focus on other than... more Imperial remnants? another Palpatine clone? Maybe make him a good guy this time called Pal Patine. Just like a Twi'lek name that gets a new meaning based on the pronunciation. Or just bring back Ken and Trioculus, give them some adventures.

Some more TV stuff would've been nice too.

I would like for them to have been given the chance to have a better send-off for everything. Sounds like they had less than a year to figure out the conclusion, maybe only a few months. I would have liked to see a proper end of the main storyline, from Truce to Crucible, something like the Union comic where there isn't any high stakes and most characters are at peace for once. A proper end to the Legacy and Dawn of the Jedi comics would have been nice to see too. But I can't say I was disappointed with all of that... one of the fun things of fiction is imagining what happens when the story ends, and Star Wars is pretty good at leaving you with those thoughts. There was 15+ years to imagine the Prequels, 30+ years for the Sequels, not to mention all the breaks in between films. Most of the EU leaves off with characters in mid-adventure, so it's left up to the audience to give these characters an ending.

But as it is, Legends EU is now a time capsule of 1976-2014. I hope it can be left untouched.

...although it would be cool to see some stuff adapted to live action or animation. There would have to be changes, as in every adaptation to a new medium, but regardless it'd be nice to see it done officially. Maybe release whatever books and comics were left unfinished, like what happened with Lightsider.

17. oldroughnready

Feb 2, 2023
    I would put
    Prequels 1,2,3
    Originals 4,5,6
    Dark Empire 7,8,9
    Legacy 10,11,12

I just think comics make better movies and books make better tv shows. Otherwise you lose a lot of the books plot in adaptation.

Darth Caliban and AusStig like this.
  18. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Just out of curiosity why was it so hard for Del Rey and Dark horse to work together. Del Rey and Marvel are working together pretty seamlessly (any contradictions that happen now usually happen when animation or live action is involved but not really with the books and comics). Of course it helps that their two offices are located right down the street from each other and many of the people that work there probably know each other.

I guess it was also a little harder for two separate publishing companies to be on the same page with one another prior to the internet being around.

Edit.........Guess I just found my answer. Dark horse is located in Oregon. Would have definitely made that more challenging in an era that didn't have zoom calls.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  19. oldroughnready

Feb 2, 2023
    While I don’t have the full story, I know it started back before Del Ray. Basically the Marvel comics weren’t used much for TTT and other early books. Then when Veitch was writing DE he wanted to work with Zahn so they could agree on the Post-ROTJ setting. But Bantam publishing was thinking of making their own comics and didn’t tell Zahn about the DE comic until after he had finished his synopsis of TTT. Then Dark Horse did TOTJ, no direct conflict with Bantam there, and Rogue Squadron as a prequel of sorts to Bantam books. Then Del Ray took over. Dark Horse wanted to work with them on NJO and got a “no.” It wasn’t until NJO was concluded that they made an Invasion comic about the era. The Prequels were new and in theaters so it was less working with the books than it was working with the movies. But I don’t remember too many discrepancies in the Clone Wars MMP until TCW came out. Other big Dark Horse lines like Legacy and the Old Republic stuck to its own era. Crimson Empire served more as an indirect sequel to DE. There was the Union comic that bridged the gap between the two mediums. Overall I think Del Ray’s and Bantam’s difficult relationship with Dark Horse did lead to an expansion of the EU into new territory.

There wasn’t too much “stepping on each others toes” after DE and most discrepancies are a result of just 30 years of storytelling being in one room; not many newcomers have the time to read everything, especially around 1999 with the Prequels and NJO. Adult book count started getting around 50 and comic issues were close to 200. Essential guides and encyclopedias became a must.

QuinlanSolo and AusStig like this.
  20. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Today there is also a Story Group that works with Del Rey and Marvel editorial to keep everything working in relative harmony. Back then there was no such entity, at least not in a formal sense.

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    People overstate the amount of contradictions in the EU to start with, and by 2010-2012 the essential guides under Leland Chee and the Lucasfilm holocron had largely ironed out most inconsistencies.

By the time the EU was decanonized it had become a fairly cohesive setting. People act like it was some free for all pre Thrawn trilogy in April 2014 when it most definitely wasn’t.

22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I would've loved to have had the entire NJO being getting comic book adaptions of the novels, particularly Star by Star with the Fall of Coruscant :)

Darth Caliban and AusStig like this.
  23. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    For what it's worth, they did work together during the EU's tenure; for NJO, Dark Horse's Randy Stradley was invited into the planning sessions and ultimately played a pivotal role in the planning of NJO (he suggested Chewie's death). When the time came to plan LOTF, although as far as I know Dark Horse was not involved in the first meetings, they were eventually involved and informed of the story points as Del Rey coordinated the future publishing with them. Legacy actually received its name before Legacy of the Force did; ultimately Del Rey decided to embrace the direction Dark Horse was going in, naming the era the Legacy era. (These details about the planning of LOTF were revealed by editor Sue Rostoni on the old starwars.com forums). So there were definitely times of coordination back then.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    QuinlanSolo likes this.
  24. oldroughnready

Feb 2, 2023
    One story that I think should have been told was the transition from TOTJ's medieval aesthetic to KOTOR's prequel aesthetic. It was explained as this technological enlightenment and this was hinted at in TOTJ with the Krath getting new tech, but it would be interesting to see a book or comic going over it. Bring in some real world comparison like the Enlightenment, the Industrial Revolution, the Scientific Revolution, and the Agricultural Revolution. It could be about the scientists and engineers of the era. Maybe it was a several groups of droids, cyborgs, and aliens that pioneered these changes. Maybe this entices some Jedi to seek further isolation and they disappear in exile. This could prompt significant changes in the Jedi Order that line up with the KOTOR era. It could be something as simple as the Holonet being equated to the Internet. Not sure if they would have definitely made this by now, but I think it was past due. Although I am no expert on the Old Republic era, so maybe this slipped past me.

AusStig and Darth Caliban like this.
  25. I know its almost impossible to adapt the NJO in 3 Movies i only said it in terms of importance and imagining if that EU Stories were a Trilogy like the Movies