main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So if the EU was still going right now where do you think they would be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AvarandElzarsittininatree, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    The One Sith were also known for making use of stasis, right? Put Talon in cold storage, pull her out when relevant.

Do we even know what the lifespan of a Twi'lek is?

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    If Talon got a Murr Talisman... she can be around for the next 25000 years...

MercenaryAce and QuinlanSolo like this.
  3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Per Book of Sith there were apparently three of those things... and Murr's was the weakest.

Eep.

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    oooh where is Book of the Sith?

5. Lucas ST dont Fit well with the EU how would you justify Han and Leia having different Children?
    Kira and Sam they probably would have been the equivalent of Jaina and Jacen Solo how can you justify that the New Republic still exists? Lucas ST would have contradicted Post ROTJ EU that it would not have made sense for them to occur in the Same Universe i think a EU Reboot would have happened with Lucas remember that Lucas wanted Jacen Solo to be the Hero in New Jedi Order and not Anakin Solo because Lucas doesnt wanted Anakin Solo to confuse people with Anakin Skywalker i think Lucas would have made a EU Reboot so his ST could look better and make Fans to forget about Post ROTJ EU Timeline

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2023
  6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean the New Republic can be a member of the Galactic Alliance, rather than completely subsumed, like how the Remnant was a member of the GA.

Kira and Sam is an inevitable set of retcons, but yeah - let alone Chewbacca.

7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Thing is according to the Wook Talon‘s family has been with the one Sith for three generations. So maybe the Talon back in the day was the grandmother of the Legacy One?

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That would have been my assumption, that Talon was Talon third, or even second, if there was a gap.

9. oldroughnready

oldroughnready Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2023
    Even with the ST we got, did the EU have to get wiped? There was never any canon deaths for the Big Three before those movies. Just genderswap Ben with Jaina. Han and Leia break up because ALL of their children have died or turned into murderous psychopaths.

The First Order is an Imperial warlord remnant - countless examples in the EU. Just set it after Crucible rather than an arbitrary 30 years after ROTJ. Maybe 50-51 ABY to give it a round number. That's only +15 years to the ST. Han would be 79 which in GFFA years isn't too bad. If Vader can survive lava, then Han can manage some arthritis.
    Rey and co. don't change except that now we might know her dad's name - either Triclops or Trioculus or Ken. Or just have Palpatine make another strand-cast son, it isn't too hard to write that in.

Oh no, Chewie is already dead?! Throwaway line, just like how Padme and all of the Jedi are treated in the OT. The ST already killed off Han, Luke, and Leia; what is wrong with Chewie already being dead? So we can have a 2 minute fakeout death?

Luke's Ben doesn't get mentioned in the ST but he doesn't have to be in it. Maybe he went into his own exile. Busy tracking down extra-galactic threats. The Lost Tribe shenanigans. Shipwrecked on an alien planet. Luke can presume he died in the Temple, maybe Jaina convinced him of that. It doesn't even have to be in the movie, just make it a novel.

The Emperor lives! Because Empatajayos Brand could not hold his spirit forever. Easy. Rey essentially just replicates his action, so that will open the door to more Emperor clones. Honestly this part of TROS gels well with the EU.

Harder to reconcile is Legacy, I haven't finished those comics nor do I know all of its backstory. But backstory has been and would be altered to fit the ST. They could always throw in more Skywalkers on the family tree and push the timeline back some 50 years. Worse case scenario the EU loses one (1) comic book series to a Tales or Infinities treatment. I don't think there was all that much connective tissue to Legacy which limits collateral damage.

So yeah, if the EU was still going it would just have the Disney ST attached. Even many of the canon books and novels can still happen. Most are in the OT and PT Episode gaps, which already were getting crammed timeline-wise. The day by day timeline would have been figured out... eventually (probably never because they just can't stop adding to it).

The good thing about the ST is it essentially put out a clean slate, a good jumping off point for new fans. Maybe some authors and fans would want to read Jaina's life story, but it isn't necessary just like reading all the Ben Solo comics aren't necessary unless you're a completionist or need answers. In this scenario you would probably see some post-TROS stuff by now. Either it connects to Legacy or does its own thing, but I doubt there would be a freeze if Legacy was kept. Some bridge novels and comics would be made, which could be awkward if Dark Horse isn't allowed to do them.

Sword of the Jedi is still canned unless it could fit in before 50 ABY or the date was changed. Maybe it's simply postponed to after 2019, just in time for the pandemic! Probably Legacy comics would get a proper ending before their canon status is questioned. Obviously, Tarkin and the rest of the planned EU novels are EU and not Canon because now there is only one canon, the EU. Dawn of the Jedi might continue, but that depends more on if Dark Horse is kept. With Marvel under the same House of Mouse, it was inevitable that they would get the comic license. However, Dark Horse does Star Wars again and maybe by now they could have restarted or finished Dawn.

For similar reasons, TCW is still pulled at S5 thanks to the Cartoon Network license and sees an identical redemption. Mandalorian, BoBF, RO, and Andor all fall on trickier toes. The whole Toprawa saga for the DS plans is demolished, unless some shenanigans are used. Probably, just a few retcons here and there would keep works like the Radio Drama intact. Maybe Scarif is in the Toprawa system or sector. That preserves some essence of the old EU. The capture of the Death Star plans was always a mess, if anything RO would clear it up with the real tale. Mandalorian is fairly safe, there already are Imperial warlords in the EU. Maybe stuff like Ahsoka looking for Thrawn could be turned to a search for an Inquisitor, Dark Side Adept, Zsinj, what-have-you. Or still Thrawn because the show takes place in 9 ABY, HttE's year. Obi-wan and Andor have very few issues with the EU. I am not going to pick thru the shows to see if they do, I just remember their general storylines are not in conflict. BoBF has some issues, like Mayor Fett and another Sarlacc escape. You could chalk up the others to tall tales. Or the whole of BoBF as a legend from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

There you go - not all too many problems. Certainly not much more than was already there. And yes, I do understand why the EU was wiped. It was an ongoing headache for continuity staff, as TCW went out of its way to do for 6+ years. I am sure everyone in that department was thinking the ST was going to be a repeat of that era. It also opened the way for new books in the same old eras. This is all just my opinion, but I do find that a bit lacking in creativity and more focused on the profit. Sure it's great to give an author a chance to use the Heroes of Yavin again as they defeat the evil Galactic Empire in a stunning display of theatrics. But I already read that book, why am I paying for it again? It wouldn't hurt to explore a new era like Legacy or the Old Republic. Push the timeline backwards or forwards, it's more interesting than the same generation or two. Although it does mirror our culture's ongoing infatuation with WW2 and the OT is the OG.

I dunno, just don't worry too much about continuity in the Empire era, I guess? As long as Captain Panaka isn't randomly killed on a moon of Naboo we should be alright. That goes for all of the EU. Sure it was a mess. Just don't go around pretending the Canon will be any better. And as for video games... Darth Maul and Talon in the post-ROTJ era? Not happening.

10. But how Jacen and Jaina are now called Sam and Kira? what happen to Anakin Solo? in Lucas ST Luke was in Exile so he was in Exile 2 Times and before Fate of the Jedi? what if in Lucas ST they said Luke Jedi Order was destroyed just like in Disney ST?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2023
  11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Just place Sam and Kira’s birth after Jacen, Jaina and Anakin’s, and place the ST after Crucible but before Legact. It’s the building blocks of what One Canon does too.

Han and Leia keep their kids separated to avoid Imperial kidnappers and maybe even go far enough to put Kira in hiding. Maybe especially after Anakin dies and Jacen falls.

And the ST destroys Luke’s Order on-screen. So it’s fine, no?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Golbolco likes this.
  12. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Is it even known if Sam and Kira were Solo kids? I’ve never seen a source confirming the exact expansion of the Skywalker family by Lucas’s ST.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. There is a conceptual image of Darth Talon with the Son of Han Solo and the Protagonist of Lucas ST was going to be a Female Character so i think both of them are Solos since Lucas wanted Luke to follow Prequel Jedi Rules

14. oldroughnready

oldroughnready Jedi Padawan

Feb 2, 2023
    You could also make them clones of Jaina and Anakin, or Jacen and Jaina. Could be the fulfillment of the dark side plot to steal the Solo kids gone wrong. Still fits the EU without secret hidden children, which still fits Star Wars. It's just blatantly repetitive, except this time it's planned from the start.

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Ooooh. Picture?

16. TFA Concept Arts

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    One Google later (thanks)...

[​IMG]

This picture?

Otherwise all I've found is Talon and Uber.

AusStig and Watcherwithin like this.
  18. Its implied that the Character who is with Talon is the Son of Han Solo

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2023
  19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    While cleaning up my collection I stumbled over old notes and lists from shortly before the Reboot... I had listed all open ended stories, plots, character fates, including storyhooks for future stories and eras, announcements from recently that never saw the light of day then... retcon potential... and lots more... over 100 pages of notes and lists.

So sad now...

20. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Post the list!

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded!

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  22. What i love from the EU is that Han and Leia became Grandparents and Luke had a Son it seems that in Legends Luke, Han and Leia lived more Adventures they outlived their New Canon counterparts and it seems that they lived a happier life even after all the tragedies they lived we dont know how many Adventures New Canon Luke, Han and Leia had since after Kylo becomes Snoke Apprentice Han Leaves Leia and Luke goes into Exile

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2023
  23. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Well to me i simply prefer the One Canon approach and just say Ben is the fourth Solo kid, they could establish in a novel that Jaina died prior to TFA in some climactic battle defeating Abeloth for good, and her young kid (Fel II) becomes sheltered and distant from the Skywalker-Solos because Jag focuses on making the Remnant more stable and loses contact with what's happening in the outside galaxy, leading to Fel II having little knowledge of the rest of his family beyond Jag and maybe Soontir and his other surviving chldren, basically what i'm saying is that Jaina's death could lead to the ties to the non-Fel members of the family being severed, explaining both the lack of the Imperial Remnant in the ST and the Fel Dynasty being distant from the Skywalkers in the Legacy era.

This also enhances Han and Leia's reason for getting depressed about Ben, because Anakin and Jaina died, Jacen and Ben turned evil, they failed at parenting 4 times already.

That way you can keep the EU while not changing any character from the Sequel Trilogy itself.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Yeah i agree either this or just have him be alive in TFA and explain it in a novel during the "Journey to The Force Awakens" publishing event, this way, again, you don't change anything in the movies themselves that is really important, also Chewbacca being back from the dead since 1999 would definetly draw in some numbers towards the book, too, everybody wins.

Although it would be a shame if his Vector Prime death was undone, considering the movies were the highest level of canon they could do whatever they wanted, the EU could accomodate them if needed, i think that if the EU was kept Chewbacca's return could be explained convincingly.

Agreed, him being presumed dead in the temple massacre could also be part of why Luke is so broken in TLJ, same with Mara's prior death in LOTF, between those events that left Luke jaded, his failure with Ben Solo only enhanced his already diminished mental state, the way he falls and rises up again could be a good payoff to how his character was being potrayed in post-NJO novels, to me it is too logical.

Ben could be in hiding somewhere with Vestara, or pursuing a hidden threat in the Unkown Regions, maybe a Gree Superweapon, the Lost Tribe attempting something crazy, anything is possible really and it could make for a really sick book series, now imagine, 20 years after the end of the ST (around 70 ABY in this case), a mature Ben comes back to the known galaxy with Ves and their 2 year old son Nat Skywalker ;)

A lot of the more veteran NJO members could also be in hiding and rebuilding the order in secret, Corran, Kyle, Kyp, etc. it could be in this time period after the Ben massacre that they unite with K'kruhk's Jedi Onclave and formally reestablish the NJO as a powerful organization (this all made in books post-ST).

Well to me Legacy is quite easy to make it fit after the ST, of course any continuity work will have to wait in 2015-2019 until the movies are done before they jump to tying it to Legacy, but given everything i proposed in this post, the Imperial Remnant under Fel being isolated at first, not interacting with the First Order, Ben coming back from his journey to the Unknown Regions, Jaina already leaving her descendant and the Skywalker heirs being established, i can see the state of the galaxy establishing etself just like it is in Legacy, the Galactic Alliance is re-formed, the NJO is reestablished, mixing all the surviving NJO members with Rey's Jedi faction she would create after TROS and K'kruhk's Onclave, and we're set for how things are in Legacy, all that's left is Jag eventually establishing the Fel Empire making it known to the galaxy at large, and the power dynamics we know from the comic are established.

After all Legacy doesn't specify anything about any book characters' fate, i think the ST can fit in comfortably in between Crucible and Legacy.

If anything this all makes me think we missed out in the better timeline, the ST would be enhanced by the EU not diminished, i think the Disney ST would fit better with the EU than Lucas' alleged plans so the best possible future for a continuing EU was for Disney to buy Lucasfilm, make their own ST with full crative freedom, but not scrap the EU, instead having it work around the movies.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Here, here.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we’d get more SWTOR tie-in novels and comics. Would the timeline of when Revan’s and Malak found the Star Maps in relation to the Mandalorian Wars, Malachor, and them meeting Vitiate ever be explained? Would why Vitiate was born with black eyes and animals avoiding him ever be explained?

We would also have more Essential Guides. A third Essential Guide to Characters was planned.

Irredeemable Fanboy and AusStig like this.