main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, is this an actual rule now.. (Discussing parody threads)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    ...or just your usual noob-mod over-exuberance*?

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/29243707

I assume the removed line is now in my usernotes, so please feel free to see if it was inappropriate for the thread.

* Don't worry, all us mods and former mods have been there too.

2. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    jp-30 I may have been hasty in removing posts in that thread. My concern was in making sure the owner of this site was not being disrespected in a thread. As I am sure you are aware Mr. Philip Wise has posted in the past about things that were said about him on the JCC and I wanted to ensure that did not happen again. Others in the MS may post regarding this situation as I have asked for feedback from them to make sure I am learning as a mod.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It makes perfect sense to prevent negative talk about the owners of this site, because without them, the boards wouldn't even exist.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I know for a fact my post was not 'negative'. It merely quoted something Phil himself posted.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Really? So you don't think the context of the quote you posted was negative? I'm also hard pressed to find what public board it was posted on.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    There was no 'context'. It was a quote with no commentary or editorialising.

Where did the quote come from?

A few hours, maybe a day before I left the modsquad. I think it may have been posted on PW's behalf by Grilled Sarlacc not long before Phil started demoting mods. Or maybe PM'd to the demoted mods by G-S. I'm almost certain it ended up publicly in a number of demoted mod's sigs around that time too.

It's also out and public in existing JC threads, such as Rogue1.5's JC Top 100 moments thread. I haven't checked, but I'll guarantee it's also in the "Why are all the mods usernames black?" comms thread. And Phil basically reiterated the sentiment in Coruscant's PEOPLE interview.

If you are considering using 'it's leaked modsquad info' as a justification for the thread edits, that's pretty lame and grasping at straws.

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yes, there was.

edit: plenty

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Thread title:

"JCC Discussion #1: The Collection of the Wise Posts"

First post. Perhaps the most widely known quote from Phil Wise. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I think you're reading far too much into a flippant, humourous reply.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Everyone's going to react differently to such a quote, regardless of the "context" it was posted in. You should know that as well as anybody.

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, now I know that the current JCC mods are going to overreact, so I shall bear that in mind if I should ever wish to post about Phil Wise again. But I certainly did not forsee this happening when I posted it.

You should not presume what 'I should know'.

11. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    It was off topic and designed to be humorous at the expense of a user. I'd cal that baiting and/or flaming.

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    How the hell was it off topic?

And how is quoting somebody 'baiting and/or flaming'?

Look, it's nice you're all rallying around Cathy, and trying to make me look like some sort of stirrer / troublemaker. But I'm not. I was genuinely surprised that my post was removed, and judging by a lot of the commentary in that thread, so were the majority of users.

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Grimby, if you thought it was negative why did you not edit out the post yourself rather than posting "Wiseisms FTW"?

I feel like all these edits were just a reaction to malkie's post.

14. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    I don't think it is necessary to jump all over jp-30 for questioning my decision. I fully accept that I may have overreacted in the situation. As a mod especially as a new one I need to be able to take feedback and learn from it. I did not interpret jp's post as baiting/flaming, or as off topic. I edited his because I believed it was information that was only posted in the MS and was therefore "confidential". I did not read the OT to be only for Philip Wise posts especially as the example was not a quote from Mr. Wise.

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I was quite surprised by the action taken against a number of posts from the thread in question.

Guys, the last time Phil posted publicly was in a thread where I posted an interview I had with him.

He said that about himself after a question about what SW character he was most like. And then, in the same thread, when a user called him something that required asterisks, there was no edit. This was one year, not four years, from the February-March '04 incident. This was in a thread where it was known Phil Wise was lurking and posting. I highly doubt that if Phil Wise logged on for the first time since April 2005, he'd get his pants in a bunch over us quoting his posts in a significantly less offending context than was present in the PEOPLE thread, especially when the man in question appears to have a sense of humor about himself.

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I didn't edit it out because I didn't feel it needed to be edited. I was also unsure at the time where I'd heard that quote before. I didn't realize until over an hour later during my commute home that it was from the infamous leaked MS thread. (Though that is apparently not the only place it was posted.)

Had I felt any different at the time of my post, I would have acted.

jp, I'm not trying to harp on you here either. You certainly don't deserve it. If I ruffled your feathers a little bit, I apologize.

17. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    The posts were not edited because of a reaction to someone else's posts. Let's not make this a bigger issue than it has to be. jp, I have talked to you briefly through PMs and I explained the situation.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I appreciate that 506, and yes, we've discussed it in PM. As far as making it bigger than it has to be, when LemmingLord comes out of nowhere to accuse me of being off topic and flaming/baiting, I'm not going to sit by and smile nicely at such nonsense.

So why didn't you write that in the opening post of the thread? It would have still been a wrong reason to edit as that quote is absolutely public on the JCC and has been for 4+ years, but if that was the reason (and not something you've thought of in retrospect to justify the actions), why go on about 'respecting the site owner' or whatever as the reason for all the edits?)

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    She not only edited... she threatened.

... and this was AFTER another JCC mod posted in the thread, obviously finding the "Wiseisms" to be "FTW."

20. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    oh, the horror.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    See what you started? Shame on you.

22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    bacon is so misguided.

23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Did you guys know that Luigi once tried to hack into shiny and blow it up?

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Five days and already a comms thread... a new record? :p

25. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Guys, just leave her alone and let her do her job. If the consensus of other active moderators agree with her, then she's obviously not doing anything wrong. I know you find it annoying that we can't pick fun of him, but for the good of a community as a whole, I think its in our best interest to treat the man who probably had some major part in us being able to be here some respect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.