main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY So Speaketh Sansweet

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by LordTreyger, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordTreyger

LordTreyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Saw this on the main page of the force.net

"Speaking of the future, you said the Star Wars TV show is years away...

Steve Sansweet: We're doing it in two phases. The first is Star Wars animation, which is CG 3-dimensional animation, like a Toy Story, that takes place during the period of the Clone Wars that takes place between Episodes 2 and 3. And that we're setting for Fall of 2007. Preproduction is underway, we're doing animation test, people are working on initial scripts. So we're well under way on that. And George is very much taking hand and is very much part of the whole process. I know some people thought maybe he would just hey "hey, go do it," but George is Star Wars and he's always gonna be very closely involved in this.

The other project is live action, and the live action is going to take place between Episode 3 and Episode 4. We're looking at a 1 hour show and [Producer] Rick McCallum has said the ideal would be to come up with 100 hours to really get into the story line and characters, and that's the direction we're going in. So that is really targeted more towards the end of the decade."

2. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    Another story on the front page was the fact that the Indianpolis Civic Center is book for the months of April and May. So C4 will probably be closer to the west coast. pv

3. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I have heard rumours it will be held in San Diego in conjunction with the Comic Con there.

That would suck. It would be just a bean counter's way to maximize money, not a celebration for fans. But knowing the way Lucasfilm likes to deal with corporate moguls and 'event people' who are not fans - I would probably lay money on that is exactly what they would do for C4.

No new movies, no new TV show or Cartoon to peddle - I would bet as in years past - they think a Celebration will not be a draw to make enough bucks.

If it is in CA or in conjunction with the San Diego Comic Con, I will DEFINITELY NOT be going to C4.

Vegas maybe - but the more I think on it - the more I have no desire to go to the land of fruits and nuts. Too far, too expensive.

4. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    I think it's starting to look dim for what the event will actually be like just as much as if there will be an event at all. There may be a C4, but will it feel like a Celebration or just a side party? Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope Vegas or the state of Texas has a stake in this for sake of travel. Not just for us but for most of the people who want to attend from, oh, let me say...east of the Rockies.

5. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    The force.net frontpage has another blurb saying that sw.com mentioned they will have announcements coming in the next few months for several events and other things, one being C4. So its pretty much a guarantee that C4 is happening, where, is the question. pv

6. LordTreyger

Jan 3, 2006
    My feeling is that the upcoming announcements will either be unveiled at Wizardworld Los Angeles or the San Diego Comicon. Since more of the announcements are more TV/Film related it will probably be San Diego.

All these years TK8049 have been looking for an excuse to go to the San Diego con maybe 2007 will be the year.

7. wojo_vepad

wojo_vepad Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2006
    Maybe if we're lucky they could hold it in conjunction with Wizardworld:Chicago.

8. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    If C-4 is held in CONJUNCTION with ANY other con - then it's not a Star Wars Celbration.

If C-4 runs in conjunction with the Comicon or Wizard World - it's going to suck going because it will not be a true Celebration, but a sideshow of an existing con. It will be done to max the amount of bodies and bucks they can squeeze out of the number of con goers, and it will be nothing like any of the other Celebrations that were specific to Star Wars, despite the problems.

It might as well just be a con that we get to share with Trekkies, Superheros, and anime freaks. Most of those are already at cons with a large contingent of Star Wars fans. So why would dubbing such a con with "C4" be any different?

I have a bad feeling about this.

"Oh, there's the Star Wars section over there. They have a seminar in the ballroom for the Star Wars people after the George Takkei talk about his promotion to Admiral in the Trek universe."

"The costume contest is open for anyone wearing one. Watch out for the Borg - they win almost all the time".

Look, if it's gonna be a Star Wars celebration - then it needs to be a Star Wars Celebration. Not an appeasement to give us a venue to run WITH another con.

IF they end up putting a C4 in San Diego, whether in conjunction with the Comicon or not - better start saving your bucks now.

I read a fella who had gone to San Diego to the con and he said that the cheapest hotel rooms near the con were around $150 A NIGHT, food was outrageous ($9 for a hamburger, $8 for a hot dog, $4 for a soda) and that parking was a nightmare of proportions anyone who has never been there cannot imagine.

He said he spent nearly $3,800 for three days in San Diego (minus air fare) at the con, and in comparison, spent $1,200 in Indy for about the same amount of stuff and events including lodging.

Something to consider, which given my own current status - puts me out of the running for even going. No way in hell is the wife going to let me spend that kind of money just to go.

9. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    I don't think we will have to worry about C4 being ran at the same time as another convention. That would not be feesable for us as fans and more importantly would hinder the amount of money generated by 2 large events such as a Comiccon/Celbration. Why would event planners plan one large con. when they could double thier money with 2? Don't see it happening, that is not to say that the planners for Comiccon are not the ones going to run it just not at the same time.

AFTERTHOUGHT: If they got a hotel room for $150.00 bucks a night, I consider that a bargain for that con.

START SAVING NOW FOLKS!

10. pacervader

Jun 27, 2005
    C4 will be by itself. If it is next year they will probably release the ultimate dvd collection to coincide with the con. And as for the theory that they will wait until 2008 that seems to be going around, I don't think they will because if they do it next year for the 30th ann. then they can go back to the every 3 year format for the 30th ann. of Empire in 2010 and then the 30th for Jedi in 2013. pv

11. LordTreyger

Jan 3, 2006
    wow what a negative nelly you are Invar! So you are telling me that if C4 was held with another con you wouldn't go? Here are some rebutals to some of the ppoints you made about not going to San Diego.

1. Hotel Prices:IF you get reservations at ANY hotel within walking distance of the convention center you are going to pay through the teeth. That is why you book your rooms through the official travel agency of the con in question. I go to Wizardworld in Chicago every summer and we book through Wizard and the most we have paid for a room which is connected to the center is about $150 a night.

2. Parking is included with the hotel price.

3. Expensive Food: The food prices are so high due to the venders being all union people, plus if you have a service that no one else can offer you can name your price! That is just business plain and simple.

4. Airfare: If you book your flights eary enough in advance you can get pretty reasonable rates. I am flying to Boston in 2 weeks and my tickets cost me around $300 round trip, that is not bad.

Why does Star Wars have to have its own con? I am just as big a SW fan as anyone posting on this board, but the way you make it sound you will have to take a test to and pass it to get in or be able to prove that you have seen Return of the Jedi 712 times. If C4 is this way they will not get any of my money and I will stay with my "non-celebration" con that will have the same merch and less hassle.

Good day sir!

12. LordINVAR

Mar 13, 2002
    Negative?

Perhaps.

Depends on your point of view.

I think I prefaced my comments with "I have a bad feeling about this".

No, it's not special then. I can go to any of the other cons if I wanted to and experience the same kind of stuff I've experienced at Wizard World or the other cons that are pretty much the same thing. A Star Wars Celebration is worth my time and money provided it's within my economic and travel capabilities - a comic con is not.

Just my experience and opinion.

Or anywhere else in San Diego. I just chatted with my nephew who lives there. There is little anywhere within 45 minutes of the convention center that would be less than a hundie and a quarter a night. Sticker shock is common when comparing prices for lodging, fuel and food in San Diego with places like Chicago (where both of us are from). He said when cons are in town - EVERYTHING gets jacked up more than it is.

I understand anything around convention centers and trade shows ( I've done a bunch for clientele) is expensive. San Diego is a moon-shot from what I am comfortable or can even afford.

I got a better deal on my own for C-III in Indy. I had to drive and park at the con from the hotel - but my lodging was only $58 a night, and with as little sleep as we had - it was a bargain. What the con offered as a package was quite beyond my capacity.

Family with kids will do that to you.

That is high-end for Rosemont and average for what they would normally charge for rooms at the Soffitel. The Hyatt down the street will run you about the same - with much nicer accomodations.

I of course have siblings who live over in Wheeling and Desplaines, so I only would have to contend with rush hour traffic near the L station at River.

Understood, but I'm not one of those who will pay $8 for an overboiled hot dog in a soggy bun wrapped in foil with no condiments but a mustard packet.

Unless it's business, those of us with families are going to be harder pressed to float such funds and schedules. Indy was workable because it was reasonable, I could drive there and the entire event ran me less than $500. Do-able for the likes of me.

Because it is special. Like I said, you can go to ComiCon, Wizard World, Dragon Con and get the same experience roughly. You will find Star Wars folks and dealer tables - but NOTHING like any of the Celebrations.

If it's going to be a Star Wars Celebration - then it should be a Star Wars Celebration. Not a regular con with special emphasis on Star Wars. Not worth my time or effort IMO. Because the Star Wars cons are rare - they are and have been momentous events that dwarf what I have experienced at Wizard or have read and watched about the other cons.

No where else could you be stuck in a 4 hour line - and have an awesome time talking with, joking and even complaining with everyone you bump into. I've ne

13. LordTreyger

Jan 3, 2006
    My entire point on this subject from my initial post on this thread is that George Lucas is such an attention hound that he would NEVER consider letting C$ or anything that is all star wars to be held in conjunction with anything, not the even the second coming.

An announcement about C4 if there is going to be one will more than likely be made at the San Diego Comicon, I also look for more news of both the animated and live action shows to be revealed as well.

And finally if I were a betting man, my money would be on Texas. Either Dallas or Houston, just a gut felling here.

eh, whatever.

14. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    Texas would be cool, much better that that other country California. You know they say there ain't nothing in Texas but steers and s.w. fans....or something like that.

15. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    I just got an e-mail from S.W. Hyperspace trying to get me to renew. The ad was "Become President of the S.W. Fanclub for 06". It was something about get the most people recruited to join the club becomes Pres. for the year. I'm sure several of you got it. Anyway did any of you notice that one of the prizes for becoming "President" was a an all expenses paid trip to Comiccon this year? Hmmmm, sounds like there might me some big S.W. announcement or something. I think it is a safe bet Comic Con will be running C4. Why announce it at Comic Con, if they are not involved? S.W. Insider/Hyperspace have given very little coverage or mention of Comic Con. in the past. I still don't think we have to worry about C4 running in conjuction with Comic Con. there is no way they could handle both at the same time. Anyway who's up for seeing a Padres game while we are there! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.