main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So, what exactly needs fixing? - Regarding the JCC

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AmazingB , Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    In The Bigger Fish's promotion thread, his being the third of the new JCC mods, I said

I just hope this new wave of promotions doesn't signify any changes in how the JCC is moderated. It's been relatively enjoyable of late and I'd rather not see any attempts at "fixing" what isn't all that broken.

Apparently that very thing is going to happen, based on what Kimball said in womberty's Clarification on what is "appropriate" material for the JC forums thread.

The exact limits of this and other matters are under discussion. Suffice it to say that there are going to be some changes soon in the JCC to crack down on a lot of inappropriate behavior and eliminate some double standards that have been allowed to exist for too long.

My question, as you may have surmised from the thread title, you clever little dickens, is what is it that needs to be fixed in the JCC? And who is it calling for these changes?

In 2002, after the release of AOTC and an influx of new users, there were calls for a reform to the JCC (I was one of the loudest voices) and the way it was modded. This reform failed miserably, and was replaced by the Reformed JCC Reform. This one also did not do so well, and was ultimately replaced by the Reformation of the Reformed JCC Reform, which was, essentially, "The mods are going to use common sense when modding." This has been around for close to a year now and I can only remember one complaint about the content of the JCC, which called for, quite possibly, the most extreme crackdown possible. And it was really only one user.

The reason the first two reforms failed was partially due to lack of enforcement, but it was mostly because it wasn't what the JCC needed. And now it seems we're headed for yet another reform, only this time, nothing is broken, and, as far as I can tell, no one is calling for it, save the mods.

So, what is it, exactly, that is going to be changed? What are these double standards and what kind of "inappropriate behavior" is there that suddenly needs changing? On the whole, posting isn't all that much different than it has been the past few years in the JCC. It's just different users. So why is change suddenly needed? Why can't the mods continue to just use common sense?

And most importantly, why was the first we heard of this buried in a thread only tangentially related? Why wasn't this announced in an MS Update, or brought to the attention of the JCC itself so the people it is going to most directly effect can weigh in, or even, dare I say it, in a Focus Group?

In short, the JCC has been doing pretty well for itself over the past 12-15 months and there hasn't been anything near the complaints that existed after the release of AOTC.

Amazing.

Bria edit: Title changed for clarity and at author's request.

2. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    agreed. and it takes more than a few people to decide when a forum needs "fixing". JCC has been running smoothly for a long time now. amongst other things, the lack of mass complaints proves this.

i encourage the new JCC mods to take a page, actually the entire book itself, from the previous mods' book.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The major issue IIRC was the sudden abundance of sexually inappropriate threads and posts in the YJCC. But with 5 mods on the scene (and a key banning or two) this was (and can contuinue to be) dealt with swiftly, case-by-case, without the need for any sort of rules & regulations overhaul.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I miss the days of the clever naming of the Reformation of Reforming Reforms in JCC Reformality.

:(

5. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    this was (and can contuinue to be) dealt with swiftly, case-by-case, without the need for any sort of rules & relulations overhaul.

Even if the written rules are unchanged, it still means a change in the de facto rules.

My problem is, I apparently had the wrong idea of what constitutes the rules of the JC. Turns out there's much more to it than what's in the TOS.

6. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    AmazingB is correct. There is nothing needs changing. Ban problems, and let that settle it. Any further rules will simply suck the fun out the place.

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Only thing that would need fixing IMO is changing the number of new threads per day started by the same user.

It's currently at 3, I feel it should be at one. But that's just me, I am but a lowly user. It's frustrating to see worthwhile topics get buried underneath Short Round McFly's cursory third thread started in that given day asking if other people are constipated.

You know what they say about post counts, and how quality matters more than quantity? Same rule could apply to new numbers of threads, IMO.

Just making a suggestion, nothing more.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Unfortunately though that would cause a rise in socks. I can just see it now. The Short Round McFly 12 or so on. Just to start a new thread. I've seen users do it before. Oh don't want anyone to know that this is me doing something. I'll create a sock for it. And it just goes downhill from there.

~PK~

9. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Only thing that would need fixing IMO is changing the number of new threads per day started by the same user.

But in the end, how many people actually do that? Two? Three? Creating strict rules for a couple of extreme cases isn't the answer. Just deal with the extreme cases. And I feel that's true of everything. jp mentioned an increase in sexually oriented posts. Rather than completely banning any hint of innuendo (and yes, I know what the TOS says about this), it makes more sense to deal with the extreme cases of users who post nothing but innuendo and other sexually oriented posts and threads.

Amazing.

10. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Socks dont hide you.

I had a user trolling in a fanfic thread of mine with 5 socks, and a simple call to a mod got him banned.

11. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Brad, did you miss the point of Brian's post, or did you ignore it entirely?

12. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Why no, his point was perfectly clear to me. I was just choosing to respond to the thread title itself, more than the follow-up post B made. That is all.

13. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    But in the end, how many people actually do that? Two? Three? Creating strict rules for a couple of extreme cases isn't the answer. Just deal with the extreme cases.

the rule would only be 'strict' in the eyes of those 2 or 3 people, because 99% of the rest of the membership doesn't start a thread everytime the wind blows. creating a rule such as "limit of 3 new threads in one day, 10 per week" would deal with the extreme cases and not effect anyone else. so that's how you deal with the extreme cases AND prevent new ones from occurring.

14. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    So you read the title, skipped the post and replied?

It's invalid, anyway. Good threads, and by good, I mean popular, because that's the only way to measure, have no problem. It's a simple fact that if people want to post in a thread, and there is an active interest, it won't be too far from the top.

You show me one single thread that was 'good' and died because it got pushed down by other threads.

15. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    the rule would only be 'strict' in the eyes of those 2 or 3 people, because 99% of the rest of the membership doesn't start a thread everytime the wind blows. creating a rule such as "limit of 3 new threads in one day, 10 per week" would deal with the extreme cases and not effect anyone else. so that's how you deal with the extreme cases AND prevent new ones from occurring.

I really don't think there should be a rule at all. Just common sense. If someone starts several inane threads every day, deal with them. If someone else comes along, starts 4 really good threads, and then doesn't start a thread for a month, what's the harm?

Amazing.

16. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Brian's weapon of choice is logic, rationality and wisdom.

17. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Amazing has a point.

And if someones starting multiple topics with socks, then warn them. They kep it up, give them a 72hr ban.

18. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I really don't think there should be a rule at all. Just common sense.

The only problem with that is "common sense" varies from one mod to the next. If they were to stick to case-by-case judgements, I would hope they would give out warnings first.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    AmazingB is entirely correct, common sense should govern the JCC. Don't restrict people to 3 threads a day, just don't draw any lines at all. If, for example, someone starts making a huge number of pointless threads *cough* Gatherer *cough* then the mods should interject. I rarely start new threads because I have nothing interesting to say (no jokes please Paul)

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, Malkie...oh, nevermind.

21. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    So you read the title, skipped the post and replied?

what the hell are you talking about?

Brian's weapon of choice is logic, rationality and wisdom.

thanks d00d.

22. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I think he was talking to royalguard, Pieboy.

Your name's Brian?
    _jOBO

23. Darth_MichelleTanner

Darth_MichelleTanner Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Like I said in the other thread, I'd be less skeptical on the success of simply applying "common sense" if there wasn't such a distinct lack of it on display at times.

24. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Seriously, please just leave the JCC alone. Already with the new mods things that should be taken care of are ignored for hours and things that used to be fine, if close to the "line" are locked.

I think some further "training" of our new JCC moderators is needed... if anything, just to get them all on the same page... before any sort of crazy "reform" is attempted.

25. Vader Fett

Mar 18, 1999
    ^ she's smrt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.