main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So which Jedi Survived order66?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DARTHKANISS, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I believe countless Jedi survived. After all it's a gigantic galaxy!

2. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    As far as the films are concerned, you've got Yoda and Obi-Wan.

As for the EU, they'll do what they will...it'll make some bucks, that's for sure.

I mean, we all know Mace REALLY survived, just like Boba Fett survived the sarlaac...

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    As far as the films are concerned, you've got Yoda and Obi-Wan.

"The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and destroyed."

Clearly, not all of them were dead yet.

4. DARTHJOSEPH

DARTHJOSEPH Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2005
    PADMELUVA...I saw it the 5th time...It's been a month since I've last seen it...but yeah...I'm pretty sure it's the same as where her bike hits. I was surprised when I noticed it, I've kept thinking a PG-13 rating was harsh but little things like this, it now starts to make more sense.

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    ... or Anakin catching on fire? Murdering children? That's a lot more likely to gain it PG-13 than someone crashing on a speeder bike (which happened to stormtroopers in ROTJ).

6. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    "The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and destroyed."

Clearly, not all of them were dead yet.

Why should we believe Palpatine and give weight to his statement if we're not going to believe Yoda?

7. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Palpatine has to rally the galaxy against something. The war is over, and thus Palpatine lost his rally point for the Senate. They can no longer stand united against the Separatists. Thus, he unites them against the remaining Jedi throughout the galaxy. Yoda states that no Jedi have made contact. Why would they? It'd be too dangerous.

Obviously, by the time the OT rolls around, Vader has "helped hunt down and destroy" the remaining Jedi. There is a 19 year gap, you know.

8. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Palpatine has to rally the galaxy against something. The war is over, and thus Palpatine lost his rally point for the Senate. They can no longer stand united against the Separatists. Thus, he unites them against the remaining Jedi throughout the galaxy. Yoda states that no Jedi have made contact. Why would they? It'd be too dangerous.

Palpatine just has to make the senate believe that there are Jedi left to be hunted down. That doesn't mean that he's telling the truth.
    Examine his other statements from that speech. They are pure lies, i.e. the jedi tried to assainate me.

9. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    yoshifett posted:
    Palpatine just has to make the senate believe that there are Jedi left to be hunted down. That doesn't mean that he's telling the truth.
    Examine his other statements from that speech. They are pure lies, i.e. the jedi tried to assainate me. [hr][/blockquote]
    Palpatine was lying about a lot of the points brought up in his speech, but he's telling the truth about the Jedi. He knows that there are still some Jedi alive out there that some how escaped Order 66. They will be hunted down and destroyed within the timeframe of 19 years or less.

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    The Jedi did try to assassinate him. Mace Windu threw the Jedi ways out the window and was going to outright kill him rather than turning him in. It wasn't a lie.

Also keep in mind that not every Jedi would be involved in combat situations or at the Temple at the time that Order 66 was executed. It is logical that some would be away on various other types of missions or perhaps in transit from one location to another at the time of the assassinations. The purpose of changing the beacon so the it told the Jedi to flee was so that hopefully some of them would survive.

11. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Palpatine was lying about a lot of the points brought up in his speech, but he's telling the truth about the Jedi. He knows that there are still some Jedi alive out there that some how escaped Order 66.

I respect your opinion, but how do you know this???

And Mace didn't exactly try to assassinate Palpatine...assassinate means: "To murder (a prominent person) by surprise attack, as for political reasons."

I think that Mace was the one who was under massive attack here.

Remember, he only wanted to arrest Palpatine, until the lightning came out, then it was a matter of self-preservation.

This wasn't exactly politically motivated either, Mace just saw three of his friends cut down by Sidious.

If you REALLY twist the word assassinate, then maybe...but not really.

12. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Now you're getting into semantics, though. If you want to do that, it could be argued that the second definition provided in the American Heritage dictionary is suited to Palpatine's words:

To destroy or injure treacherously: [i]assassinate a rival's character.[/i][hr][/blockquote]
    To Palpatine, Mace Windu was a rival (when it comes to Jedi vs Sith, of course). Mace "treacherously injured" him in the physical sense and attempted to do so in the psychological sense. Had Mace succeeded in either killing Palpatine or holding him captive and putting him through the courts, he would have "treacherously injured" Palpatine's character. Therefore, it was an attempted assassination.

See where this is going? ;)

13. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    yoshifett posted:
    [i]Palpatine was lying about a lot of the points brought up in his speech, but he's telling the truth about the Jedi. He knows that there are still some Jedi alive out there that some how escaped Order 66.[/i]

I respect your opinion, but how do you know this??? [hr][/blockquote]
    Well, like you said, it's just my opinion and I don't know for sure. It's just that I don't think Palpatine can believe that he killed every single Jedi at once with Order 66. I believe he thinks that there are still some Jedi left and he was telling the truth about it to the Senate, that the rest of the Jedi will be hunted down.

14. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004

15. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Seriously, what does this have to do with Order 66?

16. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004

Um, you're joking right, Rebelscum?

We're talking about whether or not Jedi survived, and what the character's in the movie say about this (especially, it seems, sidious) is part of this discussion.

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002

We're discussing whether or not it was possible for Jedi to escape Order 66, as suggested by the title. ;)

Anyway, Palpatine is the one using semantics if he is indeed telling the senate that there was an "assassination attempt" on him.

That was exactly my point. ;)

We can't prove one way or another based on ROTS, but the OT does shed some light on this. I always pictured the purge as something that took time, not something that happened instananeously.

[b]BEN:[/b] A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, [b]helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights.[/b] He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.[hr][/blockquote]
    If they were all in the Temple or killed by clonetroopers during Order 66, there wasn't much "hunting down" to do, was there?

18. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Note that Ben says "He betrayed and murdered your father" right after that line. Ben is not known for complete honesty. He's very fond of telling things from a certain point of view (overused I know). Plus, you're talking about how you imagined happening...which is irrelevent to what actually happened. Sure, perhaps some Jedi survived, but none that we see in the films. Hence the EU.

19. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Obi-wan always told the truth. He just couched the truth in terms that you may misunderstand unless you grasped the context.

Edit:Oh, and yoshifett...damn brilliant sig. =D=

20. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Yes but why would he lie about that. I don't think Ben would lie that the Jedi were hunted down and killed you know he doesn't bend the truth all the time. If some Jedi survived which they probably did they can star in the T.V. Show and that would definetly be considered Canon.

21. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I dunno. Don't be so quick to assume that just because something is live action that it's canon. This brings us back to the whole "Holiday Special" debate...which gets unseemly rather quickly.

;)

22. DS_Emp_Viper

DS_Emp_Viper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    nope Obi-wan lies about just about everything.

23. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    From what I heard GL was not that involved with the Holiday Special and that was a one time thing this is an 100 Episode T.V. Show. GL is also going to be involved in writing and directing the first season and probably producing every episdode. This is most likely Canon.

24. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Thank you Lordnoone, my sig makes people mad usually!

25. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Why would he lie about the Jedi being hunted down and killed with the help of Vader?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.