main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Soc] Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by melodyann, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey all!

Sky Captain comes out next Friday, the 17th, and i thought it might be fun to get a group of us to go on opening night.

anyone interested? we can see who is in and decide on a venue.

ok thanks!

2. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Westminster Promenade and D&Bs?

3. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    That sounds good, it's a nice theater...went there the other day.

you guys up for dinner before or after?

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    i can't wait to see this movie, but I dunno if I'll be able to make the trip north to see it with everyone. money is extremely tight right now...

5. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I won't be there, I don't have much interest seeing that movie. Not my cup of tea.

6. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    BUMP!

ok this is THIS friday! who is up for a movie?!

i think the effects will make it worth it...and it will be a nice time to spend with friends.

he he

7. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Times for the Westy 24 are 6:55 and 8:15, anyone got a preference?

8. melodyann

Apr 18, 2004
    depends on if we want to do dinner before hand or maybe afterwards. If that is something everyone wants to do. :)

I think michael mentioned hanging out at his place afterwards...which would be fun as well.

9. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I'll be missing out. Gotta work. -=sigh=-

10. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Not gonna be able to make it. Have fun.

11. chef-salad

chef-salad Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    I want to see it, but not sure when we can...

12. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I got confuzzed, I thought this was last Friday, I have my company picnic tomorrow from 4-7, so no movi.

If you guys want, someone call me to see if we're done and you guys are more than welcome to come hang out at our place after the flick.

13. UltimateBroncoFan

UltimateBroncoFan Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Hey that sounds like fun! i think i have your cell. we can give you a call! :)

14. ChiefsBlow2004

ChiefsBlow2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    So...so...who went??? How is it??? Is it the SW of this century???

*hopeful*

I mean, Angelina Jolie with an eyepatch. That's like, hot babe + pirate = wholesome goodness. And the whole visual look is just awesome.

P'raps I'll sneak away during the meeting tomorrow and see it at the theater across the street. Anybody wanna come?

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It was OK. Very surreal feel to it, kind of like the whole movie was a dream sequence. Pretty much every shot had a 100% digital background. They must have filmed almost the entire movie with the actors in front of blue screen. A lot of SW/Lucas references in it too. Numbers like 1138 and 327 popped up, as well as some familiar sound effects.

Angelina Jolie is only in the movie for 15 min. tops.

16. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i saw something on g4tv about it and they said they filmed the whole thing in front of a blue screen in 5 weeks .

it was an good movie , but i have seen as good if not better graphics in video games .

i was confused about when it took place . be ready for some math .

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    My friends and I did decided that it took place in 1938. I think because they said that guy had died in 1918 which was 20 years earlier.

18. IluvJaketheSnake

IluvJaketheSnake Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    I absolutely friggin LOVED IT!!! Ended up going to see it down here w/ a buddy of mine. This is another one that I know isn't for everyone, but to me, this is a great movie. Yes, definitely a lot of homages in this movie to star wars, wizard of oz, and others.

And yes, the entire movie was shot in front of a blue screen with all the backgrounds 100% digital.

I had high expectations for this movie, and usually when that happens, I'm disappointed (as it is with anyone)...but this was even better than I expected. I can't wait to see it again.

19. ChiefsBlow2004

Sep 15, 2004
    *can't wait*

20. ChiefsBlow2004

Sep 15, 2004
    We saw this yesterday, and IT WAS AWESOME!!! It was friggin cool!

It had the whole 1930s/40s sitting-in-a-theater feel to it with the grainy B/W, but almost colorized look. It felt a little like the game GEAR KRIEG , a game based on what WW2 might have been like if the Germans had actually gone ahead with the whole "Iron Man" concept. I knew the movie would be cool, but it surpassed the expectations I had for it. I hope they make more. :D :D :D

21. UltimateBroncoFan

UltimateBroncoFan Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    I liked it...i enjoyed the fact that it looked like a 1930s movie...it was fun.

and jude law is always nice to watch. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.