main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SolidWorks AT-AT Project Underway

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by GigaPixel, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GigaPixel

GigaPixel Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    Image 1

Image 2

I'm new to the forums so Hello! I have always wanted to reproduce a detailed and functional AT-AT but could never really find enough reference material to do it right until recently. The above links show my progress so far. I know there have been a few AT-AT's submitted here recently (Jas Hodges AT-AT is fantastic and inspiring) but I none have been in Solidworks format so I figured I'd give it a go.

My background: I'm employed as a Mechanical Designer and prefer SolidWorks and Autocad as design tools. I also have a passion for Graphic Design and Visualization and prefer 3D Studio MAX and Photoshop as graphic design tools.

My ultimate goal with this project, is to create a set of "make-shift" blue print drawings for the AT-AT so that others down the road can have a good modeling reference or at the very least, something to scale from (Most of us don't have access to master replica physical models). It would be nice to organize a similar "Project Summary Blue Print" process throughout the SciFi modeling communnity. I do plan to move the model over to MAX when completed for animation and rendering work. However, I will need constraint and controller setup assistance when I reach that point.

I will use this thread to post updates as they come. I'm having difficulty understanding how the drives attach to the underbody and also what the underbody looks like (The two most rarely seen parts of the AT-AT in the movie). Please feel free to share your thoughts.

- Bill (GigaPixel)

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    You did that in SW?? Awesome! Any conversion to Catia in the future??

3. GigaPixel

GigaPixel Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    I've never tried a Catia Translation from Solidworks. What is the Catia Extension? For most other engineering app.s, we end up using IGES or Parasolid formats. StereoLithography is the only format I can get to MAX at the momment but it seems to work well.

4. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Looks really good. You should contact JAS about references, he'll share his with you.. including stuff of the belly.

5. GigaPixel

GigaPixel Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    Here's some more alternate detail views for you.

Image 3

Image 4

The reason I'm going with a "sketchy illustration" kind of look, is because the SolidWorks renders have VERY poor shadow quality. What I do is run a "Find Edges" and "Posterization" filter from Photoshop on them which seems to work nicely.

I have been in communication with Jas by email and he has shared a fair bit of knowledge about the subject. I would say that outside of Lucasarts, he is the authority on the matter. I will most likely skip the underbody work and move to the upper body for now until more information surfaces regarding it.

Thanks for the replies - Bill
    (more work by me shown here: Netfolio)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.