main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V Solo #1-7 (Comic Book Adaptation) (7/7 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senpezeco, Jul 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Solo: A Star Wars Story Comic Mini-series
    Source: SDCC 2018 Lucasfilm Publishing Panel Roundup on StarWars.com

Publisher:
    Marvel
    Author: Robbie Thompson
    Artist: Will Sliney, cover art by Phil Noto & Leonard Kirk
    On-Sale: October 2018

Description:
    A new five-issue mini-series featuring backstory and scenes not shown in the film! After leaving the Imperial Navy, a young Han Solo seeks adventure by joining a gang of galactic mercenaries—including a 196-year-old Wookiee named Chewbacca and a notorious gambler named Lando Calrissian. But there's more to the story of the galaxy's most beloved scoundrel than what you saw in theaters. What happened when Han was an Imperial cadet? Why does Beckett trust him? And what is the connection between the woman who stole Han's heart and one of Han's closest friends?

[Lucasfilm Creative Director] Michael Siglain on why Marvel's comic adaption is a must-read: "Read this one closely, because you don't know where this one is going to head to and connect to in the future."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Very excited for this.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think comics is probably the most likely medium we'll see some Solo plot threads followed up on so this is hopefully a good start.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I’m also looking forward to this

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Kor-ah, Daa-nyah. Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.
    Nyo-hah, Kee-lah, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.
    Syahd-ho, Kee-la, Daan-yah, Rah-tah-mah. Kor-ah!

Jedi Princess likes this.
  6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I love Solo and I would read this if I still read comics.

7. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    October solicitations list #1 as on sale October 10 for $4.99 / 40 pages.
    November solicitations list #2 as on sale November 21 for $3.99 / 32 pages; cover art and publisher's summary below.

[​IMG]

Artist: Will Sliney
    Cover artist: Phil Noto

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY!
    • HAN SOLO and CHEWBACCA throw down but ultimately unite to escape the Empire and join BECKETT's crew!
    • But will this ragtag group of thieves be able to pull off the train heist of their lives?
    • And what happens when ENFYS NEST arrives to take the stolen coaxium out from under them?
    • Featuring scenes not seen in theaters!

Barriss_Coffee and DarthJaceus like this.
  8. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    Two more variant covers for #1:
    Luke Ross variant:
    [​IMG]

Movie variant:
    [​IMG]

December solicitations list #3 as on sale December 19 for $3.99 / 32 pages; cover art and publisher's summary below.

[​IMG]

Artist: Will Sliney
    Cover artist: Phil Noto

THE FASTEST SHIP IN THE GALAXY!
    • QI'RA is alive! But she's working for the ruthless gangster DRYDEN VOS, who forces HAN, BECKETT and QI'RA into an impossible heist.
    • But where will this trio find the fastest ship in the galaxy to make the dreaded KESSEL RUN?
    • Enter LANDO CALRISSIAN and the MILLENNIUM FALCON!

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, I just noticed TFA, Rogue One and Last Jedi were all 6 issues adaptations but Solo is only getting 5? What does it all mean?!

10. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    I was thinking 5 issues would be compressing the story too much, and now Newsarama and Bleeding Cool are reporting that Marvel has expanded this adaptation to 7 issues! They're tryna keep ya confounded, Al.

Once the first issue is released next week, maybe one of us can tag a mod to kindly edit the thread title to say "Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation (1/7 Released)".

Edited to add: Preview for #1 is up.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    MrDarth0, DarthJaceus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    huh okay so they meet lando in issue #3 and that's, like, an hour into the movie there! So what are the last 4 issues?

4 - trip to kessel, job goes sideways
    5 - more kessel fight / kessel run
    6 - end of kessel run - right up to roundabouts Becket's betrayal
    7 - Qi'Ra vs Vos fight, Maul chat, Becket getting shot, final lando card game

That is pure guessing but I do think the Kessel job and Kessel run could be almost 3 issues if it's going to be 7 issues total.

Oh did anyone notice that the Solo blu ray alternate cover they released on the official website is just the cover of issue #1?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    @The2ndQuest May I request the thread title be updated to "Solo: A Star Wars Story Comic Book Adaptation (1/7 Released)"? Marvel expanded this mini from 5 issues to 7.

Issue #1 ends with
    Han being tossed to the BEAST and Chewie emerging

and includes (IIRC) two scenes that were filmed but didn't make the final cut:
    - Han and Qi'ra hiding from Moloch in a barrel of eels
    - Han's actions at the Carida Academy and facing the Tribunal (Tag and Bink sadly not pictured)

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Done, though I'm omitting the unnecessary ASWS, and also it matches how we titled Rogue One's.

Senpezeco likes this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Since I've only seen Solo once I wasn't sure what was extra and what wasn't concerning what happened in #1.
    That whole sequence with Lady Proxima and Han getting jumped wasn't in the firlm right? We only see Lady Promixa just once in the movie, right? The whole Moloch thing wasn't explained either just that it was Proxima's goons chasing after them?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  15. jeykey

jeykey Jedi Master

Jun 27, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Why is Moloch calling Han 'Solo' ?

16. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    Translator mistake.

BigAl6ft6 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Great retconing! It's so dopey I missed it but the editor shouldn't since the Solo naming bit is just a few pages away!

I liked this adaptation, a few new things, the "have you flying" line got moved around. Sliney is a artist I've seen for awhile on Spider-Man books for years so I'm used to him. His stuff is mostly pretty good although every once in a while you see something off model or odd. And if you see enough of his stuff you see certain bits again and again but this looked fresh

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I’m glad that they extended this comic two extra issues. This movie was much better than people gave it credit. At least to me it had more action than RO.

lordpixie likes this.
  19. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  20. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Nice addition to the movie scene in that preview. I like the way the adaptation is moving through the story at a nice clip. Robbie Thompson is jumping over scenes that would have been stretched out and filled more pages, but it seems like he is grabbing the essential parts of each scene and moving along.

21. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    issue 3 was very Lando cenric, that is not a bad thing. But I can see how this is stretched out to 7 issues cuz it's actually a pretty talky movie and lots of splash pages in the adaption. (this issue was, what, 10 minutes of movie, max?) And the new 1 page of Qi'Ra's hyerpseed post-Han Crimson Dawn origins backstory was great.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    @The2ndQuest @AdmiralNick22
    3 of 7 released

While I liked the inclusion of a quick bit of Qi'ra's backstory it felt like more of a tease. Her turn was 10x faster than Anakin's turn which was also too fast IMO.

But yeah, #3 is essentially the reuniting of Qi'ra and Han, the meeting with Dryden Vos, going to find Lando, Sabaac and getting the ship out of the impound. I'd have to watch the movie again @BigAl6ft6 (which I got for Christmas on disk) but it was probably longer than 10 minutes of the movie.

Guessing that #4 will be all of the heist from Kessel and #5 will be the actual run through the maw, leaving 6 and 7 to wrap everything up and maybe give us a little more than the movie did.

24. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I don't know if I agree with this. Anakin made a choice. Qi'ra was literally sold to Crimson Dawn and she adapted to her new situation. I completely buy Qi'ra realizing that the only way to make her situation better is to embrace it. She had zero hope for escape with the skills of a scrum rat.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    It's cool. You don't have to agree. We literally got one page of her backstory, and she was told on that page by Dryden that her fighting style will only get her so far. She needed to let go of Lady Proxima's narrow-mined ways.

So I guess since she changes outfits three times on one page that was supposed to represent her "growth" and that sometimes you need to kill. But we got no reason why she needed to kill that guy. To get Dryden's money back that he paid for her? Did Sarkin buy her in the first place to turn a profit? What are Lady Proxima's narrow-mined ways? Did she actually teach Qi'ra anything?

Ultimately, this felt like a huge tease where she appears to just flip on a dime with no explanation. Sure, you need to adapt, and it's kill or be killed, but it looks like she's training in the middle of the page and then on the bottom of the page she's on a mission?

Sure, this is a Solo comic and it's Solo's story, but there just wasn't enough meat on the Qi'ra bone for my taste. Hell, we're getting 7 issues and they couldn't give us one more page on Qi'ra?