main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There's been plenty of backlash against all of those channels, because they all promote the popularization of mindless criticism for the sake of views, but yes, CinemaSins especially. Jordan Vogt-Roberts notably picked apart their whole shtick, saying it does more harm than good. Pablo's hardly alone in disliking their approach.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Honest Trailers is a world apart from CinemaSins, and lumping it into the same mindless-criticism category isn't fair or accurate. Half the time it's apparent that they're doing it out of love and just having a friendly go at a movie they genuinely like, and the other half of the time it's a movie like Solo or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom that badly needs a good roasting. The trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a prime example of the former, where the narrator states early in the video that it's a very tight and solid movie but that they're obligated to nitpick and poke fun at it anyway. That film's directors, the Russo brothers, have even appeared on ScreenJunkies a few times and laughed along with the Honest Trailers of their movies.

CinemaSins is utter garbage that pads out twenty-minute videos by pointing out "errors" that usually aren't errors at all, but Honest Trailers is harmless and fun four-minute videos that more often than not present thoughtful analysis in a humorous manner. There are even "commentary" videos accompanying each one where the people who made the trailer sit down and give detailed insight into what they did and didn't like about the movie. Honest Trailers celebrates the good and the bad of films out of a love for the art form, while CinemaSins celebrates mindless clickbait garbage. Worlds apart.

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember there was one infamous 'takedown' of Batman v Superman whose opening critique was that Bruce Wayne rose into the air in his dream, because that goes against the laws of physics and even dreams should follow physics. But it was against BvS and so it of course was very popular despite being pedantic to the point of parody.

4. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    That "obligation" to nitpick and poke fun is kinda the point I was making; the whole point of their channel is to be "honest" about the material, which is code for being critical. And it's not so bad when the creators are in on it too, but then there are films like the ones you suggest "need a good roasting", however that's meant to be defined. It's promoting the idea that criticizing and insulting certain works is just a form of "honesty", as if they're speaking their minds about some universal truth of the films they've decided are acceptable targets.

It's all fine and good fun, but it also isn't, and it's all contributing to that same clickbait garbage. Honest Trailers is better, and more thoughtful, but they're absolutely of a kind with Everything Wrong and the rest.

5. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    IIRC, Honest Trailers started with doing movies that were pretty universally considered bad and the "honest trailer" was actually selling the movie as it is (terrible) rather than trying to sell it as good as a normal trailer would. As the format got more popular people wanted to see more popular movies covered which meant not everything was necessarily a bad movie. I can understand how someone would think Honest Trailers is real criticism based on that, but I don't think their videos necessarily portray their videos as being real criticism of a movie. Its all played for a laugh and generally meant good naturedly. I've never watched an Honest Trailer and thought it was being unfair or trying to generate clicks through criticism. It generates clicks through funny content.

Basically, I think its unfair to lump Honest Trailer in with CinemaSins, et al, even though I understand how someone could think they're similar.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I clearly don't know enough about this world to differentiate all these different youtube channels making fun of movies, but that "honest trailers" thing was stupid. Nothing worse than watching someone trying to be funny for five minutes and not laughing once, or even smirking.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The thing is, they're not actually "insulting" anything. There's a difference between making fun and poking fun, and Honest Trailers very decidedly does the latter. Like Link1130 says, the moniker of "Honest" is a holdover from the earliest days, and anyone who watches them now with any kind of semi-regularity can easily see that there's no actual pretension of believing that they're the speakers of universal truths. In many cases, they're, well... joshing. And in the cases when it's a film they really do think is bad, even then they have a go at it light-heartedly rather than in a mean and spiteful way.

The accompanying commentary video for the Solo Honest Trailer saw its three writers disagreeing about the movie --- one liked it, one didn't, and one really didn't. Nobody making these videos believes their opinion to be a universal truth. Don't put too much weight on the word "Honest" being in the title --- arguments about the videos should be based on their content, not their titles. And their content is film analysis presented through humour, without sinking to the lowest common denominators like CinemaSins does. There's plenty of substance to these videos, and they're leagues above CinemaSins.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Youtube and the internet as a whole have basically destroyed film criticism. That said, I'm unaware of Honest Trailers being considered a particularly severe offender, though it's not my sort of thing.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I can't blame pablo at all for becoming an angry old man shouting at clouds
    If I had to deal with the way star wars "fans" have been the last couple of years I'd be a old drunk **** shooting people who came on my porch

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honest Trailer and How it Should Have Ended for Solo were pretty harmless and mostly good jokes. I mean, that Lando doing "This is the Falcon?" Holy hell! I want a full version of that!

So got the blu ray yesterday (my Wal-Mart had Jurassic World signage instead of Solo, booo!!) and gave it a watch and still love it. And while I didn't complain about the lighting and colour in theatre I think it did look better on bluray. Oh and one part that I found hilarious this time was Clint Howard justifying the droid cage murder to L3 and he points and hollers "HE'S NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD!!!" And also, Lady Proxima said to Qi'Ra "Remember the silo?! We saved you from there" when she's trying to appeal to her and just that phrase freaks me out, what the hell is a Silo?! Even the intro menu with the music swelling is kind of great.

Deleted scenes are all actually very solid. but it does kick off with the weakest one, a different into to Qi'Ra and Han and she comes off as kind of meek and Scrumratt-y in a hidey hole. Which is good where it shows how much she evolves by the end but I like the movie proper intro scene because it establishes the teenage hothead passion that really drives Han's quest the movie. Actually I'd say most of the "deleted scenes" are really extended ones, like there's a Minban full battle I can't believe they cut. And an extended Vos intro which, hey, more Paul Bettany (I really wish the movie deleted stuff showed Vos Ver. 1, though). The extended Chewie and Han fight is great but I can see why it needed trimming. Although there is some great editing magic that the "Kashyykian moof milker" line actually comes much earlier in the 1st version of the scene but they moved it around to the final scene during the "make fake battle of pretend" portion of the brawl. Pretty seamless, actually although it does explain why Han is so hot headed when he drops the Moof Milker line cuz he was actually fighting at that moment. Oh and the Han Imperial cadet scene really should have been in the movie proper. They could have trimmed about 2 min out of the movie of Han and Qi'Ra making googly eyes at each other for it somewhere!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Hypatia likes this.
  11. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I just hope Mr. Plinkett doesn’t review Solo. Theirs no need to. The movie is actually good.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

13. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    But all my Incel sources on reddit told me that she was son her way out?!
    Are you saying squealing man children were wrong?

my kind of scum and PimpBacca like this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You may be onto something

15. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Positivity about the film

The Positive Fan likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Surely nothing beats this moment:
    [​IMG]

17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Re-watched the other day, loved it as much.

my kind of scum and DarthJaceus like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    bout halfway through the extra features, Ron Howard is all over it. Haven't seen a peep of Lord and Miller yet. Although I haven't watched the roundtable, probably gets a sideways mention.

Anyway, full This Is the Falcon

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    oh and this legit bothers me, in the text crawl at the start they call it HYPERFUEL! Which is such a cool name! HYPERFUEL! In caps! And they don't call it Hyperfuel once in the movie. Coaxium, Coaxium, Coaxium. Vary it up and call it HYPERFUEL at least once in the 2 dozen or more "Coaxium" lines in the film.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  21. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Han refers to it as hyperfuel to the CorSec gate guard.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Phew, there's at least one. Maybe calling it "hyperfuel" was a reshoot bit. Kind of like how the "we'll have you flying in no time!" line was reshot and moved around from the deleted scene to the other scene. Still wish it had been in there a lot more.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally I thought coaxium was just one type of hyperfuel. In retrospect I am not sure why.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    you'd figure there'd be more hyperfuel sources than just coaxium. Or, hell, maybe not, which is why controlling it is so vital. There's only one gas from oil, right? Maybe?

Also if Coaxium is so important why is the refinery such a dead zone? It was the closest one to Kessel, which is why they had to do the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. Shouldn't it be all bustling? Need a hellova lot of HYPERFUEL to go around.

25. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Because the crew stole unrefined coaxium, hence the need for an off-planet refinery. Presumably the stuff the Empire ships out of Kessel gets refined in the mines themselves so it doesn't risk blowing up an Imperial transport.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.