main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    So is Han’s “friend” Needles who is a street racer that Han copies the trick to lose the Tie Fighter from, an homage to Needles from Back to the Future who tried to get Marty to street race him?

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yep.

DarthJaceus and Padme501st like this.
  3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Sooo with the news of the Cassian Andor spy tv show announcement am I the only one who thinks doing a Solo sequel would go better as a tv show for Disney plus?

seeker_two, BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh hells yes, I want to see anything else with this crew in the side Solo-verse. (and I'd be an awesome - Holt mod on - VINDICATION! - Holt mode off - that the movie was not universally rejected) Although keep the cast as is, I already went through the stress of recasting them, I can't deal with it another time hahahaha

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    seeker_two and PimpBacca like this.
  5. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, £11.99 for a Blu-Ray is pretty decent and Solo got that price applied, so decided to give it a buy.

Haven’t yet watched it, not sure when I will get around to it.

For all I get that brands work as a whole, so you get a divisive product like TLJ, it will impact on less so products of the same brand, thus Solo’s box office fate in part, it still does feel unfair to me that the one ends up paying for the sins of the other. This is going to be an interesting one.

Do also have Rebels S4 to watch too, think that’ll be first in line.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    eh I never buy the people hated Last Jedi so Solo bombed logic. It kept pace in North America with Venom, Mission Impossible: Fallout, A Star is Born, Ant-Man and the Wasp, nobody is going around calling those bombs. However, Solo didn't make 70% on overseas which is what blockbuster movies are supposed to do, it only made 48% which is pretty bad in comparison. But the TLJ "backlash" seems to be more of a USA Phenomenon yet it made more in North America than anywhere else.

Really crummy release date and bad marketing are way way more factors in it's box office performance. It especially didn't hold a chance in the International markets on that release date either which is the biggest thing.

Release it in August it definitely does better. What the heck was there, Crazy Rich Asians and The Meg and CRA was the big North American movie at that time and The Meg was the big International release at that time. Definitely would have stood a better chance, as it is Solo was a random movie in between Avengers, Deadpool 2, Jurassic Park 5 and Incredibles 2. Since it had such a limited appeal to more hardcore Star Wars fans as opposed to Big Damn Episodes, people didn't take a shot on it cuz they were too busy. Cuz Bob Iger was all uppity about releasing it memoral day weekend. Heck Disney / Bob has been scheduling Star Wars movies for May every damn time - TFA, R1 and TLJ all had initial May release dates - but they kept getting bumped back to Christmas but god almighty he was going to make that May release date with Solo! Great job there, Bobby.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Solo is finally coming to Netflix on January 9, so I'll finally get to rewatch it. I think that Solo is the first Star Wars movie I actually only watched once in the theater - I intended to see it a second time, but it came out right before I left on a trip, and by the time I was back, it was gone.

Also Star Wars related coming to Netflix on January 1: all four Indiana Jones; Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back; and Jon Favreau's screenwriting debut Swingers.

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I was going to say that it's also the only one I only saw once theatrically, but I believe that may be true of ROTS too. I definitely wanted to see it a second or even third time, but... life happened, and then it was gone.

10. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Yeah, Solo was also the first SW film since 1999 I saw only once in the theater. I was nursing a pretty badly broken leg at the time though, so I'm happy I even managed to see it once. I've seen it twice since I bought it though. It holds up.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Only seen it 3 times in theratre and just twice on video which is a total of 5 but the least amount I've seen a Disney Star Wars movie!

12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps someone has pointed out this parallel before, but it is something I couldn't help but observe.

Q'ira is somewhat of a potential dark mirror to Bria. Bria came from a relatively well off family, ended up drugged and enslaved and then died fighting for the rebels.

Q'ira came from bad conditions, rose up the ranks in a criminal environment and is a bad person working for the bad guys.

They seem to be constrasting mirrors of each other.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Q'ira also had the enslaved part in the middle as well. Possibly drugged too. But another parallel there- HST Han was able to help Bria break free, but Solo Han couldn't do the same for Q'ira.

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I heard someone talking this morning about "Remember in the latest Star Wars movie when Yoda talks to Luke about students eclipsing their teachers?" It struck me as funny that she would remember that about TLJ, yet seem to forget that there was a Star Wars movie released after that.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK dude I think that's more common than people realize, I've heard stories of people asking if there's gonna be a Star Wars movie this year.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it has 10 days to turn up.

BigAl6ft6 and Nom von Anor like this.
  17. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I saw Solo only recently, but to be honest my memory is already fuzzy. I didn't dislike it, but it was such a "meh" movie overall, apart from a few things.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    A friend of mine has gotten into the habit of bringing her whole family out to see a SW movie every Christmas, and was just asking me this. "Isn't there going to be another movie this year? What will we do for Christmas???"

These aren't even hardcore SW fans! But I guess three years is enough to get used to the idea of the annual SW movie.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Which is why I believe firmy that Solo box office was not because of Last Jedi or "Backlash" which i think is overblown to begin with, but because it wasn't in December. We trained the audience that Star Wars is a december movie and then we did a bate and switch on them.

20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's weird how quickly the December thing caught on as a tradition. Star Wars has always been May for me, which is why Solo felt more like a return to form.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True but remember the Prequels were 2-3 years apart we had a Star Wars movie in December 3 years in a row with almost the perfect amount of hype and build up each year. With Solo it kinda...came out of nowhere.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, IMO it's not the December thing specifically, it's that it was just half a year after the last film. It wasn't even that hard to see coming - I remember there being plenty of discussion during this spring about how abruptly the marketing machine was switching gears.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I can definitely agree with that, I mean how many people you see talking about Last Jedi over Solo.....Solo kinda just ....came and went...And yet we are STILL talking about Last Jedi and probably will until 9 comes out and then dominates the conversation.

I felt before Last Jedi we at least had some time to digest ane take in Rogue One.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Solo coming out so soon after The Last Jedi basically advised against Star Wars simply retelling what came before was a mistake in my opinion.

25. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Wait didn't the head of that criminal syndicate help her out? Which is why she felt she owed him for most of the time that followed?

I think the parallel is that they start in contrasting positions and end in constrasting positions but probably have similar effects on han-Bria is rich, falls low and dies a good person fighting the good fight, while Q'ira is in league with gangsters and renegade sith lords.