main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My main issue with Solo isn't to do with any of the story beats, really, but that it felt like one of those compilation movies where they take a series of a show or anime and trim it down to feature length.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hey Han just had a busy weekend, at least he didn't drop Jabba's spice in this one too.

DelRiego likes this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Watched it on Netflix last night with my partner, who's never seen it before. Her take: "It wasn't bad, just doesn't feel like it fits into Star Wars." She also thought that Han never learned anything or grew as a person/character during the course of the movie.

She loved L-3, though. She was convinced that L-3 was going to become R2-D2. I told her this was set after the prequels but before the original trilogy, so it couldn't happen. Then when Maul showed up she got really confused. She asked me how he could be here if it was set after TPM where he got killed at the end. I had to tell her that there's not really an explanation. She also really loved Beckett, but I think it's because she loves Woody (which is understandable).

The other thing she really loved was Chewie, especially his storyline of trying to find the other Wookiees. She loved him helping them escape from Kessel. She asked me at the end if he ever managed to find his family. I started to tell her about the books and she cut me off: "No, in a movie - you know, something that matters." So I pulled up the Holiday Special. She was not amused.

4. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Not to double post, but one other thing that I noticed watching it on Netflix: Han's Shyriiwook conversation with Chewie in the Mimban prison pit wasn't subtitled, when I remember it being subtitled in the theater. Was that just an issue with my Netflix or was that the same with others?

BobaMatt likes this.
  5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Agreed. I loved Solo, but it would have worked so much better as a miniseries. That way, all these interesting new characters like Val or Enfys Nest would have had a chance at a better development / more screen time which would have done them more justice, esp. Val.

I vaguely recall it being subtitled in th theatre, cause Han's attempt at the language was quite broken but it was still possible to make a sense of it. Over the holidays I watched a DVD version (EU) with my parents, the whole movie had subtitles, but no original nor translated ones for Shyriiwook.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    BigAl6ft6, Sarge and BobaMatt like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it totally is subtitled, (also Moloch has subs too) Netflix effed up

https://subscene.com/subtitles/solo-a-star-wars-story/english/1842503

00:03:25,000 --> 00:03:27,000
    Look who we have here.

00:03:32,400 --> 00:03:34,400
    You have our money?

00:03:38,240 --> 00:03:40,240
    Search him!

00:05:10,640 --> 00:05:12,640
    Not if I shoot you.

00:05:31,400 --> 00:05:33,400
    Coaxium is Precious

00:05:33,424 --> 00:05:35,424
    Scumrats like you come cheap.

they don't have the full sub track on preview (you'd have to DL it) but Han's line is pretty funny "Make escape of pretend. Look! Big stick!"

EDIT: just checked it out on Netflix and it's totally not there, even if you turn on the subtitles all it says is "speaking shyriiwook" which is really weird they would go through the trouble of saying that but cutting out Han's lines takes out one of the movie's best gags! who can we petition or notify for this!

EDIT EDIT: look totally boned

[​IMG]

the line is:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3778644/quotes/qt3983901

Han Solo: [to Chewie in Shyriiwook] Me have plan of break out. You and I freedom make... by secret battle of pretend.

[points to supporting column]

Han Solo: Look... big... stick...

7. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    "Secret battle of pretend" is great.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I know! It's like possibly my favourite joke line in the movie and just completely gone. None of Moloch's lines are subbed either. It's a bummer cuz a lot of people might only see it on Netflix for the 1st time. Someone get Ted Serandos on the line!

(also why I still buy big geek movies on disc, none of this nonsense I sez!)

BobaMatt likes this.
  9. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Subtitles definitely enrich the viewing experience. This is why they should have subbed R2 "I have a bad feeling about this" in TLJ. After a few viewings I was disappointed that the line wasn't there until I read it was R2's 'unhappy' beep.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah BB-8 being subbed "I have a bad feeling about this" would have been a strong, maybe even somewhat jarring gag out of the gate for episode VIII but it would have gotten the line across much stronger. (and the "General Hugs!" and "about his mother" 1 minute later is also a really bold, almost jarring gag too off the jump anyway). Also it would have been weird, but funny, if BB-8 being subbed "I have a bad feeling about this" is the only subtitled droidspeak line in the entire Star Wars series.

I believe Johnson even said that originally's Poe's line was "I have a good feeling about this!" which would have done a much better job of conveying BB-8's iconic line/gag but Johnson decided to make it more obscure. "Happy beeps, buddy" is a good rejoinder to that bit but it does also sort of make it seem like nobody understands droidspeak, only vaguely what it means.

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    True, it'd be odd as droidspeak isn't normally subbed, but it's also unfortunate that the iconic line from all Saga movies is hidden as untranslated droid beeps.
    Also, can't believe I wrote R2 instead of BB-8. :oops:Guess is my subconscious complaining about the dearth of R2 and C-3PO in ST.

But translation of alien languages in SW has always been minimal. Bib Fortuna in ROTJ gets nothing, Jabba and Ewoks get 3PO, R2 gets aurabesh on screen in Luke's cockpit. Glad we got Han's broken shyriiwook in all its glory.

tatooinesandworm and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...I literally never knew this about BB-8 in TLJ.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    It's especially funny because at one point in Solo the subtitles say something like "[in English]" and I almost said out loud, "That's Basic, not English!"

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Do we know the name of Dyden's red blade double tagger weapon? Mini ~laser sword~?
    Don't have my Official Guide here, but I can't recall if it was given a name. And wookiepeedia isn't being helpful. I'm trying to introduce it in my SWRPG game (Saga edition).

Vthuil likes this.
  15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    A pair of Kyuzo petars with monomolecular energy chords along the edges. Here's the Databank entry.

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Awesome, thank you!
    Definitely classifying that as an exotic weapon.

Sarge and Senpezeco like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oscar Nominated Solo for Best VFX, yahooo!!

Darth Caliban, spicer, Kylun and 4 others like this.
  18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    L3 looks pretty happy about that lol

BigAl6ft6 and Vthuil like this.
  19. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I haven't seen First Man, but given the other options, it probably has a good shot. I'm surprised it wasn't nominated for editing though, given its development history.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    It would be ironic if this movie won.

Anyways, I really hope Disney continues this storyline in a novel preferably one written by Matthew Stover or Drew Karpashyan.

I loved Solo........

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    seeker_two likes this.
  21. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I truly hope the film wins.

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It'd be really cool if it did but I think Avengers: Infinity War has it, sometimes the best VFX award transmorphs thematically into the best VFX performance (see - Andy Serkis as Gollum) and Borlin as Thanos was a great performance with great performance capture. Same deal with how they made L3 and Waller-Bridge's performance too ("You're free now. Scooch!") but I would give Thanos an edge in how elaborate the whole job was and how awesome Brolin was.

ILM did great with the nominations for best VFX though! Solo, Infinity War and Ready Player One!

First Man is the dark horse if they wanted to give it to a Serious Oscar Movie. Not sure how Christopher Robin got the #5 slot, it was well done but half of that was McGregor selling it.

23. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The train heist coaxium explosion was one of my favorites as well as the shot of the Star Destroyer coming through the Maw. I think they should have highlighted some other shots from the film in the announcement not just L3.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Huh... shouldn't that be "cords"? A "chord" is a group of musical intervals, where as a "cord" of monomolecular energy could be an actual strip of physica... stuff... on the edge of a ... petar? Okay, this all just sounds ridiculous now. And maybe the spelling is an on-purpose bit of SW weirdness, but to this here musician it sounds like something Robert Fripp would make up.

Sturm Antilles and Daneira like this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Chord: the line segment between two points on a given curve.