main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Solo and the Gang - the Women's Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I know it's just women and all, and may take the excitement down a notch, but try and at least show some enthusiasm!!! :mad:[face_flag]

I'm pretty sure the Men's World Cup gets it's own thread aside from the regular soccer thread, but if that isn't the case than feel free to lock.

Inty can we have country icons, please? All we'd really need is to upload the ones already made for the men's tournament. Thanx[face_peace]

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Hey I am up and ready to watch SOLO and the gang. What more do you want?

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Last year, we just used the soccer thread for the World Cup. Doesn't really matter to me what we do for the Women's World Cup this year. I'm planning on following the USWMNT's match against North Korea today. North Korea's a bit of a mystery, but they are a talented, young team.

4. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Good Goals by the US today. 3rd goal should have standed. Still got 3 pts though.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey, I'm excited for the Women's World Cup, and I've been talking about it in the Soccer thread, as has DMC. Didn't ask for icons because I wasn't sure how much interest there would be (ditto for no games), but I can certainly request them.

Glad the USA got the victory today.

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Really wish that third goal woud have counted. Still, a soid second half from the USWMNT. They need to play well for all 90 minutes for the rest of the tournament, though.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    <-- Happy now, Juli?

8. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    go USA today, gotta work so DVR'ing it. Another reason why work can't end quick enough.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I didn't get a chance to watch the match live today, but just watched some extended highlights. Seemed like a good outing for the USWMT. Abby Wambach will score eventually. :p

They've escaped the group of death. :)

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sounds like the US did what they should do against overmatched opponents: overwhelm them. Glad to see the USWNT dominating teams, where the USMNT was just squeaking past them.

Also, had the following discussion at dinner today:

Inty: Maybe I'll get up early tomorrow morning and watch the Australia-Equatorial Guinea game.
    Mrs. Inty: I might have to have you seek professional counseling
    Inty: So, you don't want me to get you up, too?
    Mrs. Inty: *blank stare, afraid to answer*

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Heh, that's pretty funny.

No World Cup watching for me tomorrow - we're doing our 4th of July stuff then. I should be able to follow along for the US game on Tuesday, though.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, I didn't get up early to watch the game, but I am reading recaps now. Looks like the referee had one of the worst games in the history of refereeing, missing a player picking the ball up with their hands in the own box and handing it to the GK while it was in play. With no handball called.

And, in the other game, Marta continues to be amazing.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    [face_laugh]

I can see her saying that.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    A power outage helped Nigeria in their match against Canada. They were cramping up, and were able to stretch them out. Canada's defense got beat. They still have a good bit of time left in the match for Canada to score an equalizer, so it's not over yet.

With the exception of the US, CONCACAF teams have performed very poorly in this World Cup.

15. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Saw both the England/Japan game and the Germany/France game today and was quite surprised by the result of the first one but good for England. France looked a lot better than I thought they would and Germany had some weak moments that lead me to still have a faint sliver of hope that the US will be able to beat them in the semis (assuming US tops its group and they both win their quarters.) The ref seemed a little bit eager with the cards in this game though. A couple of questionable yellows on both sides and this is the first time I've seen a keeper red carded.

Looking forward to the US game tomorrow. Sweden did beat them back in January 2-1, but Solo was still out then due to her shoulder iirc. Love to see Wambach end her drought, though she said today she doesn't know if she'll play tomorrow due to her Achilles, so we'll see.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Only saw the first half, but the cards in the France-Germany match may have been overcompensation for the lax refereeing in the Germany-Nigeria match. Good match anyway, though Germany need to solidify their back line if they want to win.

17. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Yeah, Germany's defense on corners didn't look so hot. Both times France scored, the Germans just seemed to stand there going "What?"

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Sweden 1 - USA 0, this is looking to be an exciting game.

Also Norway lost to Australia, meaning that for the first time in a long time they won't go through from the group stage, and they also missed qualifying for the London Olympics.

edit/ just when I had posted: Sweden scores!!!

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The US really doesn't want to have to play Brazil in the next round. They need a much better second half. Alex Morgan came on at half; hopefully she can be a good sub.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It's also pretty interesting to get the Swedish reactions when playing the USA, since it's usually the them most Swedes root for as their second favorite team, since the US coach Pia Sundhage is one of the most legendary Swedish players.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Abby Wambach finally got her goal. :D They just need a tie to avoid Brazil...[face_praying]

Oh well. The US has a strong record against Brazil and has plenty of motivation.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    But Sweden manages to win, they were really tired in the end though. It feels a lot better to meet Australia than Brazil, but at the same time one shouldn't underestimate Australia.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep. Any side that makes it out of group stage is dangerous.

I didn't know that, in the Women's World Cup, any coach of a nation that wasn't their nation of origin has never beaten their home nation until today.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm actually not that bad with losing to Sweden. Yes, Brazil is a more difficult quarterfinal opponent, but it removes the semifinal against Germany. So, if we get past Brazil, the road to the final is a bit easier. Still need to beat Germany to win the cup, but I'd rather have to beat Germany and be done, then beat Germany and then have to go through someone else.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Even so, they need to play up to their potential. Pia has some touch choices ahead of her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.