main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Solo and the Gang - the Women's Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Sinclair went to University of Portland so I imagine she requested being placed there. Dunno how they swung Morgan too. I would've expected Rapinoe to end up in Portland and Morgan to end up in Seattle

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That's what I'd been expecting, too. Strange.

3. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Beautiful day for the sport. Abby Wambach surpasses Mia Hamm's record and becomes the top goal scorer in international soccer. Hamm had 158 goals in 275 caps. Abby has 160 goals in 207 caps (69 of which were scored with her head!) I expect Alex Morgan to shatter this record by the time she's through playing as she has 44 goals in 67 caps.
    [​IMG]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Abby Wambach: More goals than a Jerry Lewis telethon

SoloKnight likes this.
  5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Mia did it with less talent around her, but Abby is awesome.

6. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    I'd agree the current US squad is more talented than the '99 team was, but on the flip side, the rest of the world is better too, so Wambach is playing against tougher opponents than the 99ers did.

I find it interesting to compare the top women's goal scorers soccer vs the top men's goal scorers. Abby's got 160, Mia has 158, Sinclair has 145...but the top men's scorer has only 109. At first I thought it was because the level of competition in the men's game is more equal so you don't get the matches like CONCACAF qualifiers where the US curb stomped the Dominican Republic 14-0, but just the other day I watched Spain destroy Tahiti 10-0, so it happens there too.

Now I think it's just because the women play more games than the men. Maybe because the women don't have the strong club leagues the men have, so they play more national team games to keep the skills up? I dunno, but when you have 11 women with more than 200 caps, and the most capped man only has 184, I've gotta think that's it.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    So, today marks 15 years since the USA ladies won the World Cup. Hard to believe it's been that long since the (in)famous Brandi Chastain moment after the clinching penalty.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Lol @ the author of this thread.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That was my exact first thought.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Mine was ewwww @ the author of this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.