main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm betting Solo will do just aa well as R1 if not significantly better. It's a more accessible film I believe and one with obviously more familiar characters (and actors).

wobbits likes this.
  2. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    We will see. TLJ and RO were dark. If Solo is just a funny movie it might beat RO.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not too positive on that. I think Deadpool 2 will take the Memorial weekend. Han Solo would come in second unless, the reviews are good and the initial fan reaction backs it up. What will happen in 2018 is that for the first time in three years Star Wars will not be the number one movie.

4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    What are you expecting Solo to open at because there's pretty much zero chance that the second weekend of Deadpool 2 will beat the first weekend of Solo. Unless Deadpool has a $300M opening weekend, I just can't fathom it winning the Memorial Day weekend. Solo should be looking at $150+ during those four days.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    For Memorial Day Weekend, my guess is SOLO being a more family friendly PG-13 movie in it's first weekend means it will make more money than the R Rated DEADPOOL 2 in it's second weekend.

Who thinks DEADPOOL 2 can make more money than the orignal DEADPOOL?

6. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    OMG bro just go to a marvel forum.
    Deapool 2nd week end can't be bigger than Solo 1st week end

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It will be generally lighter and likely shorter than those movies, which will make it much more family friendly. If it is well reviewed, I see R1 as the floor for it rather than the ceiling. If it isn't a good movie and get mediocre or bad reviews, I would feel differently about the box office.

It might not be the #1 movie of the year because of really stellar box office competition, but I think it is way underplaying it to say it will be beat by Deadpool. For an R rated movie, Deadpool did great, but not in the neighborhood of what SW does.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  8. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    As an avid collector of Marvel comics for thirty plus years I don’t see why acclaiming their incredible success means you have to go to a Marvel forum. This thread in its various incarnations has always talked about all movies in the relevant year.

Star Wars is my first love but it doesn’t mean you have to blindly gush about it or not acknowledge that Marvel Studios is a serious player.

Personally I think Solo will finish third behind both BP and Avengers. I think BP will be number one domestic and Avengers will be number one worldwide. Solo will be fine but Avengers will make serious money and nobody could have predicted that BP will do THIS well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    No idea why anyone would cling to the idea of Deadpool 2 beating Solo over Memorial weekend. That would likely require a better second weekend than Black Panther had, and no amount of holidays is going to push Deadpool 2 to that level. Unless Solo garners no real interest at all, there is very little chance of Deadpool 2 beating it over the weekend. Even an opening like Thor 3, heck even a Justice League like opening would probably be bigger than the weekend Deadpool 2 should have.

Don't forget about Jurassic World. Yes, that will probably drop quite a bit from the last one, but that should still be enough for at least 400m+.

10. K-2SOS

K-2SOS Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2016
    Well that is a reasonable take, yassir.

But to say Solo's opening weekend will or might be lower than Deadpool's second weekend, like vong333 is suggesting, just seems completely unrealistic, isn't it?

I think it's a stretch to even imagine Deadpool winning the opening weekend competition between the two (i think the winner here will also be Solo), but to say the second weekend of Deadpool might be better than the first solo weekend borders on trolling (not meant in an offensive way)...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    wobbits and yassir.khan like this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Depends how you do it really. Some people have an attitude that seems to indicate they are only here to wind people up.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I agree with that. I think figures starting around $800m and upwards for the spin off films are good business personally.

Lee_ and Ricardo Funes like this.
  13. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Early reactions and reviews of Ready Player One is very postive. It was shown at South by Southwest Film Festival yesterday. I really would not mind a great Steven Spielberg escape adventure now. Looks like the trailers was a bit misleading too. Good move by Warner to build some hype from the reviews now, because the promotion for the film early one has been scandalous. Hopefully it can at least climb to a $ 50 mill plus ow and then go on to have some good legs.

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    R1 was number 1 for 2016 in the US and many countries (like mine, France) bur worldwide it was number two, very close to civil war...

But yes this is the 4th SW in 4 years, something we would never have imagined only a couple of years ago. And Solo will be released only 5 months after TLJ. Obviously SW is not going to stay this out-of-the-ordinary unique event...

...not that it means next SW movies will flop, but we cant take it for granted that from now on SW will always be number one at the BO.

I have no idea about Solo. I think it will be a success but im not sure it will be as high-grossing as past SW movies.

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    As for Deadpool 2, it just got hit by panic on the internet ;)
    There were rumours about fairly meh test screenings, which turned into rumours of really bad test screenings, based on what were considered to be questionable story choices (not going into any details, because it would be spoilers, and because it is impossible to say whether that is actually true). This was then countered by a tweet that contradicted all that and stated that the movie had two very good test screenings. Those who are more on the negative side can read it as imminent doom, those who are more on the positive side can do the opposite, and nothing is really clear at this point ;)

In some ways, the internet reacts to things like the stock markets does to big news. The slightest issue can cause panic or euphoria :p

With more than two months to release, I doubt that this will have any impact on the audience. Unless the negative view would be what catches on with critics and the first people who see it on OW, but that's not really something that is coming up for another few weeks.

Ah, lets hope for the best. Wouldn't want to see another Spiderman 3 / Shrek 3 / POTC 3 scenario, where three big movies open in short order and they all get a relatively muted reaction.

16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Really nice weekend for TLJ.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  17. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    I just saw Annihilation on netflix . Its awesome, a pure moment of SF. Sad it ddin't make more at BO, hope it will work on netflix.

18. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Loooooved Annihilation. Love the (probably) unintentional Star Wars cast cross overs. I need to see it again to determine if I like it more or less than Ex Machina. Annihilation had some great unnervingly uncomfortable scenes. Everything about it was great though.

Definite shame it about its box office it’s just not the type of movie that makes the big bucks these days. Funnily enough I feel that it was almost exactly what people were claiming Ghostbusters 2016 was going to be except done better. I just hope the small theatrical release and box office doesn’t impact Garland as a director in the future as this and Ex Machina are two of my favourite Independent Films.

Garland is high on my list for directors I’d love to take on a stand alone Star Wars.

Krueger likes this.
  19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    First reviews for both Tomb Raider and Ready Player One are up. It's early obvious but so far Tomb Raider is not doing all that hot critically but the feedback for the Ready Player One world premiere was pretty good so there is still hope it can get some nice critical feedback overall.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    And there it is, spring break has started...

Black Panther with a 4m Monday, down just 15% from last week, basically on par with Jurassic World and bigger than TFA in the same week. This basically assures that its 4th week will beat the 4th weeks of TA, TFA, JW and TLJ.

With it already winning on the weekends against JW, and spring break at least affecting the next two weeks, giving it equal or better weekdays as well, BP looks very much set to beat JW's total. Should definately be the second fastest to 600m now.

21. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    Bp made 4 m on its 25th days while annihilation made 10 m total. BR made 740 k on its 25th days.
    I'm worried about future of movie. Thanks god we have SW, a great franchise wich work at the BO. Maybe the only good franchise that make great number

22. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Why exactly would you be worried about the future of movies?

Crowd-pleasers have always made the most money, while experimental movies, or stuff that is a bit "out there" have a tougher time. That's hardly anything new. It's not like Black Panther is some sort of shoddy movie that gets no acclaim from critics. It sits at 97% positive reviews, with an 8.2 average. That's pretty great actually.

It's not like the original Star Wars was praised for being thoughtful and deep. It was praised for its visuals and great fun, and derided by those who considered themselves to be above such movies.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    yassir.khan likes this.
  23. Darth Luch

Dec 28, 2016
    Well srry mt english this wasn't clear, i'm worried about the movie i'm going to watch in the future not about movie industry in general. I know people love superheroes movie and i get it. I don't need deep movie for example i enjoyed kong skull island a lot. But blockbuster in 2018 are 50% superheroes movie and they are literally all the same, thats mean when i could have got 20 diffeent blockbuster i will have 10 that are the same and 10 new. SW is not better cause thoughtful and deep, its better (for me) cause its original, you don't know the end of an episode. You feel the character you care about are in danger and there is emotion.
    For me the only superheros movie that was worth watch it in the last 5 years war logan, all the other was meh or bad (yes even Deadpool, it was fun but you know if i want to laught i watch big band theory or atlanta i don't go to theater).
    I used to love superheroes movie but too much is too much and yes i want them to fail cause i want them to start new thing with them (like logan did) and i want less of them. Yes you could say don't watch them!! you are right but the fact is i loved the 5 first MCU movie an i still lovr Hul-iron man-thor- captain and i want to follow them to see what happen to them but its harder every time to watch them and also i want them to fail so i have original blockbuster like IT-dunkirk.
    How much do you think FB2 can earn, it might be a concurent for Solo

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  24. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Think worries for the movies is a two edged sword. In a way both TLJ, Jumanji and Black Panther has shown cinema is alive. But in more and more limited forms. I do believe in IMAX formats, certain high end social event making and the hype for certain blockbuster type of of movies. Cinemas becoming more and more like an audio visual theme park.

Eveything else will die out. Annihilation is being pulled early for Netflix right? I bet Netflix makes a Blade Runner 3 / tv series ( just an example) instead of the chances of Warner making a cinema version again. There is only money in some of those high profile franchise sequels and prequels. The mid sized budgeted film withouth any super hero or well known fictional character - is not going to exist. Netflix, DIsney streaming platform, Amazon, Google, Apple, takes over. Festivals are booming at the moment. I work with documentary film festival, and Hot Docs in Toronto has massive tickets sales. South by Southest in Austin too. People will want to watch movies that will never reach the cinema chains.

Lets face it. Most of you guys posting here, dont even go to the movies any more. You have family and sit in front of your Netflix and huge home cinema. You only spend money on Marvel, Star Wars and maybe one other movie during a whole year. Just admit it.

Its not only negative. Maybe even more positive actually. New platforrms and financing systems for more challenging filmaking opens up. There will always be one or two great blockbusters during a year, that keeps the art of going to the movies alive at the same time.

Just take a look at that Disney 5 year schedule. Its crazy. Its predictable. And its going to swallow eveything else in the coming years. Only Warner and Universal will have some guts and good properties in house to offer up some competition. Of all of those shceduled Disney ( Lucasfilm/ Marvel/ Pixar / Fox ) movies. I would want to see some of those, and i am sure some of them will be ( hopefully) even masterpieces. But yes, the overall business picture of going to the movies has already changed. Some movies you will never be able to see at your local cinema.

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    God I want all movies to an on demand service. I hate going to the cinemas. I love the actual size of the screens and the sound but everything else is just bleh. If I could just get 5 buddies over and watch the latest release in the comfort of my own home I’d be stoked. Keep iMax but everything else can go.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.