main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think there's any chance for OS numbers to pick up until we start getting totally original stories without any requirements of prior investment. When the OS market can come in fresh, then we might see a bump.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  2. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    So I just saw it for the first time. And its hard for me to say why I didnt see it sooner. I guess the hype just wasn’t there and likely that’s because it’s so close to TLJ. It’s really not like I had any reason not to go see it. I just didn’t feel the need to.

Movie itself was suprisingly good for me. I actually wanted to keep watching and find out what was going to happen after the film ended..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  3. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I was surprised by how good it was too. My expectations were really low. I still think the marketing didn't do enough to sell their movie.

Hopeless, Sudooku, Twain and 2 others like this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Can we say that Solo will be the Star Wars's own "Blade Runner" moment? Meaning, the good movie just a few watched during the original release?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Graphic, Darth_Pevra, Sudooku and 2 others like this.
  5. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Domestic is now sitting at $211.9M It basically flatlined in the last week.

After 4th of July, I really thought it would make it to 220 but they slashed the number of theaters at a much faster rate than expected.

Excited for the b/r to arrive so I can put it with my collection on the shelf. And re-watch the hell out of it. SOLO's box office performance is a shame because it's a wonderful addition to Star Wars.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Can't wait for the 4K .....maybe there will be a resurgence in the dvd market as more people will view in that format rather than at the movies so who knows the loss may not be a great after all............

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Therein lies the problem- it just wasn't a movie that really had a good hook to get people to go see it. Given you are here (and there fore are more of a SW fan than most people), you had more of a reason than most; so if people that like SW weren't moved by the idea of a Solo back story, you could see why the GA wouldn't go see it.

I've said this all along about these back stories- they just aren't that compelling (the idea of them I mean); particularly if you aren't a fan. They are good fan films, but fan films don't make a lot of money.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. I also think most people don’t have a great imagination. They need to be told, specifically and repeatedly, why a movie is worth seeing. They have difficulty imagining why a movie about a space pirate is worth seeing.

9. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Even if it does very well on home media it wont cover the HUGE loss they took on this film.It just cost too much to make and made too little.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yes true it went massively over budget - should have been made for $150 mill ( like Pacific Rim 2 ) & not made for $275 mill but a good home media result could soften the blow but still a big loss none the less.......

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This movie was pretty good. I liked it a lot, but the marketing was not there. I don't think fatigue from TLJ hurt the movie, if it did it was the combination of people who didn't like the direction they took Luke to the alt-right that just want to see star wars burn. Look at Gunn, he's gone from Disney and the Marvel property for comments he made 10 years ago. Yeah he was wrong for that, but if we crucify everyone for what they said 10 years ago then we'd be all criminals.

Krueger likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Nothing to do with this thread, but yes, what's happened to James Gunn is horrible, and a little frightening. It has been shown, once again, what a destructive force social media can be. I'm pretty sure Walt Disney himself said things one hundred times worse. In fact, we all know he did. These were jokes. Nothing more. Tasteless and unfunny, but jokes nonetheless. Gunn used to work for TROMA. Anyone doesn't know who they are, look them up and you'll understand.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  13. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Its funny though that Disney have no problem with an actor who was a heroin and cocaine addict,and did prison time playing Iron Man,but Gunn making a few offensive tweets? Fire that guy!

Back on topic,i do think the marketing for Solo was there ( There were trailers and tv spots playing everywhere you look a few months before the film was released where i live anyway ) but its just that interest in a non Ford Han Solo was not there.

vong333 likes this.
  14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Solo is now showing in only 208 U. S. theaters--down 95% from the initial 4,381 theaters. That's basically 4 per state. It's almost all over.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  15. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    There is a slight difference between self-destructive behaviour and laughing about kids being abused. Just saying.

On Solo.

The promo was just crap.
    We got the first teaser in February when the film was coming out in May.
    For comparison, we got The Last Jedi first teaser in April (film in December).

It was all rushed because they wanted to show a There have been no problems in the production of this film whatsoever! and it bit them in the ass.

Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes.

16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just want to say that I don't agree with Gunn's comments. They are wrong and should never have been made. But, we have all said and thought things that could put us in a bind. He apologized and that should have been enough. Time to move on and not double punish. Marvel now will be in a pickle much like Star Wars was. Hopefully, both he, Marvel, and Disney can move on from this. The message here for all of us in Star Wars is to watch out for those dedicated die hard right alt wingers that want to see Disney, Lucasfilm, KK, and all Star Wars burn. They will justify any reason for it, so trying to rationalize that it because of the white OT star wars v diversity ST debate (only using this as an example) won't make a difference or matter. They'll find another reason.

Solo was rough to bear, it fell so quickly that its not even funny. The movie wasn't given a chance from the start and that was wrong. This movie missed every target you can imagine both domestically and internationally. There is nothing beautiful about it. I hope that in the blue ray it does good. I already pre-ordered the digital version from iTunes and pre-ordered the 4-K version from Best Buy.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I just hate that the hypocritical Trumpistas will chalk up Gunn’s firing as a win.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now they can get David Lynch to direct GOTG Vol. 3.

Wait, what thread am I in? Thought this was box office?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Giving Cernovich and the radical alt-right a victory with this Gunn firing was a big mistake. Disney should not be pandering to these bigots. It sets a terrible precedent.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Let's not forget GotG is a series of kids movies.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, can I just point out that the optics on a guy making a bunch of fun space adventure movies aimed at kids joking about being a pedophile doesn't have the best optics?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That point supercedes the political aspects of all this.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s terrible optics, for sure. Gunn’s comments are heinous, and I fully understand why Disney made the decision.

But where is the line? Will Cernovich start digging up terrible things people who’ve criticized Trump said in high school, and getting them fired for that? Or in the 80s, when everyone was kind of an idiot? You can bet he will after this victory. Mark Hamill must be in his sights, given his blistering Twitter critiques of Trump. Will Mark get fired because an alt-right racist troll digs up something dumb he said in 1977, as part of their agenda to deligitimize all voices critical of the Racist and Sexual Assaulter in Chief?

The right way to address this, IMO, would have been to publicly condemn those comments he made, also condemn the racist, sexist and hypocritical Cernovich, and then perhaps put Gunn on a short hiatus to make it clear that they have zero tolerance for that crap. But just firing him, and leaving it at that, enables the forces that condone sexual assault and bigotry, as long as its perpetrated by their right-wing heroes.

The Trump era is a treacherous time for civil society. Companies like Disney need to learn how to navigate it better, and with more nuance, and not allow itself to become an enabler of hate. You can’t disassociate the political dynamics of this from the issue of Gunn’s comments. They’re wrapped up together. An acknowledgment of that in how Disney dealt with this would have been welcome.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    SpecForce Trooper and Krueger like this.
  24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    There is a time and place to draw the line. This was not it.

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    See above. I suggested a more nuanced means of reprimanding Gunn without affirming the tactics and views of Cernovich and his troll army. The point is be smart about it, and avoid blunt approaches to these complex dynamics. Gunn should feel the consequences. But so should Cernovich. Don’t want to reward one form of bigotry and hate by dealing poorly with another.

And that speaks to a broader issue these days. It’s all one way or the highway. There’s no in-between anymore. Either “you’re fired!” or “you’re pour guy!” This case, in particular, called for a middle ground.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.